Sign in to follow this  
Tito

Beta testing after beta testing

We all remember when ofp was first released, bugg after bugg, lagg after lagg patiently we waited for the updates.

What I would suggest is.. some people might hate this, is to seriouslly test ofp2 before releaseing, as in multiplayer demos and SP demos. Wait atlease untill all buggs are fixed before release. So we don't have the same misstake again. It will be great to play ofp2, and even better to be able to play. You digg? blues.gif

Releasing a game like OFP without a single bug is pretty unlikely to happen....and also is impossible. You can't find all the bugs since some of e'm are cause by the computer configuration or just an error into the program that as been not seen by BIS but the player see it and report it.

So to tell you the truth, I prefer having to play a game that has bugs into it as long as the developper support the game. As we saw with OFP, new patchs were not just fixing bugs, but adding more goodies to the game like vehicules and weapons!

Yes sometime it can be frustrating getting right infront of a bug, but do you know a game out there that has no bugs at all? wink_o.gif

I agree with deathguy, BI really did a great job, even now that the game is really old they are still patching which is quite unusual, other devs would not do that.

I think they really should do a bit more testing now but as deathguy said, longlasting support is worth more than a flawless first release.

I agree with both deathguy and hellek.

However, seeing as the op flash community has well and truly established itself, I beleive BIS should take into account what the community reccomends, which is pretty much what it has done all along. I was never really bothered by the bugs the game had, as it offered freedoms that other games simply just didn't have. We all have to admit, Op flash blew our minds with everything about it, the campaigns, ai, scripting, mission editor, addon freindly engine, all the stuff that made this game have such a strong following.

No matter what BIS does with OFP2, we can only expect that they will blow our minds yet again.

I agree with deathguy, BI really did a great job, even now that the game is really old they are still patching which is quite unusual, other devs would not do that.

I think they really should do a bit more testing now but as deathguy said, longlasting support is worth more than a flawless first release.

That is what the original post is all about, yes the game is getting old, but they STILL have to keep throwing patch's at it.  Yes games need patchs its inevitable with complex code, but OFP had some stinkers, and since BIS was a new company to the mainstream game market its forgivable and they are to be commended with the many new idea's that have brought us.  But the growing up time is over, they have an old format and there are competitors now with similar games.

I was one of the external beta-testers for OFP v1.00.

Seemed like CodeMasters was pressuring B.I. to get OFP out the door, to me. And as I recall, fans were GREATLY pressuring B.I. to release something, also.

Personally, when the game is good, I don't mind paying for a full version that seems a bit like a beta, especially when it is supported as well as B.I. supported OFP.

I DO think that B1942 profited from learning from some of OFP's experiences, but I thought that it was very important that B.I. be credited with "doing it first".

I hope that the 2nd time around SP and MP beta demo's are publically released, with an interface for bug-reporting, so that the full version will be polished.

Hopefully CodeMasters (I was hoping the 2nd time around B.I. wouldn't have to distribute through them...) will give them all the time they need, this time.

B.I.'s relative silence is a bit spooky. I hope they are listening to the fans' suggestions, because most of the more serious posts do a pretty good job of pointing out areas that could use improvement.

B.I. should also consult with real Vietnam veterans, mercs (for Africa), and Cold War veterans, shunning so-called "consultants" who charge too much for their bogus input.

B.I.'s relative silence is a bit spooky.  I hope they are listening to the fans' suggestions, because most of the more serious posts do a pretty good job of pointing out areas that could use improvement.

I think that someone from BIS did post to say that they read the suggestions written here, so they do realise how important player input is. They know that if we don't get the game we want we just won't buy it!

As for the issue at hand I would say that a reasonably bug free initial release followed by continued and close support by BIS all the way to OFP3!! tounge_o.gif

I like the way BIS keeps sending patches to us. It shows that they are determined to make it as best as it can and it shows that some game developers ARE HUMAN! tounge_o.gif

I like the way BIS keeps sending patches to us. It shows that they are determined to make it as best as it can and it shows that some game developers ARE HUMAN!  tounge_o.gif

They are? wow_o.gif

I remember I was talking about beta-testing in my squad and with my pals in school. IMO the game should be tested by the veteran players who have been around since 21st of June 2001 (the date might be slightly wrong I apologize) and especially by squads that play on leagues or are highly active in some other way. That way it would be easy to arrange bigger MP beta sessions etc.

dunno if someone has already mentioned this but here it is anyway smile_o.gif

B.I. should also consult with real Vietnam veterans, mercs (for Africa), and Cold War veterans, shunning so-called "consultants" who charge too much for their bogus input.

One problem: Mercs usually refer to themselves as 'consultants' as well ;)

It is inievitable in games making that there is pressure to release. Its up to the individual company to decide whether to adopt a 'when its done' stance or the more conventional route, releasing before its 'perfect' and patching. Of course, no master ever regards a work of art as 'finished'... so.

No beta-testing, the way they did OFP1 was just fine for me. Sure, we had quite a few bugs, but nothing to serious I think. If you start beta-testing, the question comes: when will you stop? Cause you'll sure won't get a flawless game, compatible with every single piece of hardware. I say: do it the BIS way! wink_o.gif

they have an old format and there are competitors now with similar games.

plz mention a single game that is "equal" to what flashpoint let you do? I don't see a single one who get the realism of what OFP give

BF1942? sorry, but theyre maps are little compare to flashpoint and I don't like wasting a full clip of ammo on a guy just to kill him...

No beta-testing, the way they did OFP1 was just fine for me. Sure, we had quite a few bugs, but nothing to serious I think. If you start beta-testing, the question comes: when will you stop? Cause you'll sure won't get a flawless game, compatible with every single piece of hardware. I say: do it the BIS way!  wink_o.gif

There must always be some beta testing (there was for OFP) its simply the amount that varies and whether gameplay is tested or just bug finding.

I remember I was talking about beta-testing in my squad and with my pals in school. IMO the game should be tested by the veteran players who have been around since 21st of June 2001 (the date might be slightly wrong I apologize) and especially by squads that play on leagues or are highly active in some other way. That way it would be easy to arrange bigger MP beta sessions etc.

dunno if someone has already mentioned this but here it is anyway  smile_o.gif

I don't see why the people who found OFP later should be excluded from MP beta testing. mad_o.gif It should be done on a ballot form with BIS able to veto any unacceptable candidates. In any case this beta testing should be limited as look how much we've all written on OFP2 in this short period of time!! The game would never get released! wow_o.gif

I actually hope BIS take their time (or are allowed to tounge_o.gif ), since then there will be less patches (less work for them afterwords, less downloading for us, mostly bug free game out of the box), also, I hope BIS keep silent like Valve did with Half-Life 2 (they got great results IMO, releasing information a few months before release). Although some info would be cool, giving hints towards interesting features/gameplay and stuff like that would make me even more eager to buy the game. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I don't see why the people who found OFP later should be excluded from MP beta testing.

I knew someone would understand it the wrong way. I didn't mean that they should be excluded. What I meant was that if BIS is gonna pick beta testers for the game they should choose veterans who know the previous game well enough. Those who have started playing later know as much as those who bought it right after the release. Maybe BIS could organize some kind of quiz or something to see who knows what it's all about and invite some lucky veteran squads too.

A public MP test wouldn't be bad though but they can't include all the stuff in it.

I don't quite know what I'm talking about but I'm talking anyway tounge_o.gif