Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Chinese rip-off of a typhoon?

hmm , some parts remind me of the F16

are you sure it's a latest generation aircraft and not some MIG21  design rework as the chineses have already done ?

makes me think about a MIG 1.44 "light"

are you sure it's a latest generation aircraft and not some MIG21  design rework as the chineses have already done ?

Well, according to the website taht I quoted on the first line of my post, it is a completely Chinese design of a 4th generation aircraft.

Is it just me, or is the Typhoon a ripoff of the Russian Ye-8? rock.gif

ye8_4.jpg

ye8_2.jpg

wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

just by curiosity , what was the YE8's engine ?

It looks nothing like the 1.42/44 rock.gif .

And Israel is involved in it's development, so it borrows from the Lavi:

l11.jpg

China is making a new stealth fighter too., and it looks like f-22 smile_o.gif

It looks nothing like the 1.42/44  rock.gif .

And Israel is involved in it's development, so it borrows from the Lavi:

l11.jpg

hmm , the israeli aerospace industry involvement would explain the tail and some other parts

for the 1.42/44 , look at the air intake and the winglets , that's why i said "Light" , single motor , smaller intaks , and simply smaller overall

It was a 15900lb  R-21 engine. And yes, I can see what you mean about a "light" 1.42/44

*edit* Honestly though, you don't see anyone suggesting that the Grippen is a ripoff of the Rafale or vice versa. The MiG-29 took flak for being a ripoff of the F-14, F-15 and F-18 alternatively, and even the Radar was declared by "experts" to be a "crude copy" of the Eagles or Hornet's radar, until the Russians decided to show what was under the radome and it became obvious it was a completely different design. So a fighter plane looks like a fighter plane. So what? rock.gif

If a design works, then of course everyone is going to 'borrow' the look for their own aircraft.

Yeah it looks like the typhoon, but I doubt it has as good avionics or maybe even weapons.

Know how when you buy a rolex on the sidewalk on new york and it loses 5 minutes every day? Well, you get the idea. smile_o.gif

by the way tovarish, the monkey in your sig is hilarious

Yeah it looks like the typhoon, but I doubt it has as good avionics or maybe even weapons.

Israel is working on the avionics, it's able to carry Python missiles as well as the latest Russian stuff (not sure about the R-77). It uses a Su-27 engine...all in all, it dosen't look shabby to me.

*edit* scratch "it's going to". I think this bird's in service as of a couple of months ago.

Quote[/b] ]by the way tovarish, the monkey in your sig is hilarious

Lol thanks, the news story that inspired it left me not knowing whether I should laugh at the absurdity or be upset...Bah.

http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/aircraft/fighter/j10.asp

j10_8.jpg

Is it just me, or does this look like a Typhoon rip-off to you? rock.gif

EDIT: I am aware of the small design deviations in air intakes (see other pics) and engine, but these could be due to missing plans or changing them to avoid 100% design matches?

The nose cone reminds me of the tornado slightly.

Delta wing seems to be the new black for jets now.

It was a 15900lb  R-21 engine. And yes, I can see what you mean about a "light" 1.42/44

*edit* Honestly though, you don't see anyone suggesting that the Grippen is a ripoff of the Rafale or vice versa. The MiG-29 took flak for being a ripoff of the F-14, F-15 and F-18 alternatively, and even the Radar was declared by "experts" to be a "crude copy" of the Eagles or Hornet's radar, until the Russians decided to show what was under the radome and it became obvious it was a completely different design. So a fighter plane looks like a fighter plane. So what?  rock.gif

Well TBH the Chinese are reputed for ripping off other countries' designs so it would make sense to assume that this is the case for this aircraft wink_o.gif

Well TBH the Chinese are reputed for ripping off other countries' designs so it would make sense to assume that this is the case for this aircraft  wink_o.gif

uh-huh. So are the Russians, and from what I've seen these assumptions are crap and I'm pointing it out.

The one time where such plagiarism did undisputably occur (B-29/Tu-4) The Russian engineers tasked with copying it found it to be a nightmare due to the different materials available, the fact that the fuselage was designed by machinery based on Imperial measurements instead of the Metric-based machinery the Russians used, ect. They basically had to build the same plane, with different materials and different tools than were intended. In the end it would have been just as much work to build an indigenous design from scratch.

funny though...

if china is ever going to make export versions of their military equipment.....

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>THEY BETTER SUPPLY THOSE DAMN MANUALS IN ENGLISH TOO!</span> crazy_o.gif

Imagine this situation..

Indonesia buys chinese military equipment.

neigbouring country malaysia invades Indonesia.

Indonesia unable to defend due to the lack of knowledge to use chinese military equipment.

Well TBH the Chinese are reputed for ripping off other countries' designs so it would make sense to assume that this is the case for this aircraft  wink_o.gif

uh-huh. So are the Russians, and from what I've seen these assumptions are crap and I'm pointing it out.

The one time where such plagiarism did undisputably occur (B-29/Tu-4) The Russian engineers tasked with copying it found it to be a nightmare due to the different materials available, the fact that the fuselage was designed by machinery based on Imperial measurements instead of the Metric-based machinery the Russians used, ect. They basically had to build the same plane, with different materials and different tools than were intended. In the end it would have been just as much work to build an indigenous design from scratch.

Well you know what? Bollocks to that smile_o.gif

Well you know what? Bollocks to that  smile_o.gif

Well gee, how can I argue with that? rock.gificon4.gif

China is making a new stealth fighter too., and it looks like f-22  smile_o.gif

Thats one thing about the russians, they dont copy other nation's designs, they make their own (and some very good ones too I must admit).

The Chinese F-22 will be obsolete by the time they develop it.  There are ways to defeat stealth, needless to say, those are even more secret than the stealth aircraft themselves.

Well if there are "secret methods" How do you know it, since they are secret?

Well if there are "secret methods" How do you know it, since they are secret?

Oh, you'll see vague decriptions on various websites, as well as on programs like Future Wings and Modern Marvels. They talk about it, but obviously they do not describe the methods. Want proof? well theres a whole world-wide-web out there...

Quote[/b] ]Well TBH the Chinese are reputed for ripping off other countries' designs so it would make sense to assume that this is the case for this aircraft

Yeah, just look at their ICBM's. tounge_o.gif

DF-31 Intercontinental Ballistic Missile

NAME

PLA designation: Dong Feng-31 (DF-31)

NATO code-name: CSS-9

CONTRACTOR: China Academy of Rocket Motors Technology (ARMT)

SERVICE STATUS: The deployment of the missile may have already begun, though more test fires might be needed before the missile becomes fully operational

PROGRAMME

The Dong Feng-31 (DF-31) represents a new generation of ICBM for the PLA 2nd Artillery. As with the JL-1/DF-21 combination, the DF-31 and JL-2 are land-based and sea-based variants of the same missile. Development of the three-stage solid-fuel DF-25 began in 1978, but was later halted. In 1985 the programme was resumed and renamed as DF-31.

The DF-31 first fired in April 1992, however exploded shortly after launch due to faulty components in the booster assembly, killing 21 people and injuring another 58. The second fire was also said to be a failure. The first successful fire test took place in 1995. The military parade celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the PRC on the 1st of October 1999 saw the DF-31 show itself to the world, hauled by a 16-wheeled Hongyan transporter-erector-launcher (TEL) vehicle through Tiananmen Square.

DF-31 ICBM system

Two live fires were conducted in November and December of 2000 as US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Henry Shelton visited Nanjing for PLA war games. The shots were fired from the Wuzhai Space and Missile Centre and were monitored by US intelligence ships. The close proximity in timing of the two tests came as a surprise to foreign observers, nonetheless the underlying political statement was clear. Another test came on the 23rd of November 2002, this time blasting off from Shandong Province and flew for 1,700 km to a designated target in the Xinjiang desert.

DESIGN FEATURES

The DF-31 is a three-stage, solid fuel, 12,000 km range ICBM, which could reach targets in entire Europe, the west coast and several northern Rocky Mountain states of America. Current load of the missile is a single 700 kg one-megaton yield thermonuclear warhead, although MIRV with lighter yield warheads is an expected option.

As part of the new generation of missiles, the DF-31's characteristics include road mobility, advanced materials engineering for payload and booster, improved solid-fuel propellant as well as endoatmospheric re-entry decoys, making it very difficult to counterattack at any stage of its operation, from pre-flight mobile operations through to terminal flight phases.

DF-31 ICBM carried on a Hongyan TEL

So far the DF-31 has only been seen carried on a sixteen-wheel TEL derived from civilian truck for road mobility. The appearance of the TEL suggests that the system only possesses very limited, if any, off-road deployment capability. China has been studying the Russian-made six-axis TEL which can mobile in cross-country conditions, but has yet produced a capable TEL capable of carrying over 30-ton payload.

As well as being road mobile, the DF-31 might also be rail deployed. There are reports that suggest the limited deployment capability of the road mobile variant, where specific road conditions are required, therefore the rail-deployed variant seems very credible.

SPECIFICATIONS

Configuration: Three stage

Length: ~10 m

Diameter: ~2 m

Launch Weight: >20,000 kg

Propellant: Solid fuel

Guidance: Inertial (?)

Range: 8,000 km

Deployment: Silo or mobile

Re-entry Vehicle Mass: ~700 kg

Warhead: One single 1,000 kT, or up to three 50~100 kT multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicle (MIRV)

CEP: 400 to 500 m

Launch Preparation Time: ~15 min

---------------------

Can be setup and launched in 15 mins. Can carry a 1 megaton warhead or MIRV's. I'd be worried if any of those were pointing at me.