Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Quick medal of honour question

The Medal of Honour is the highest commendation a soldier can earn in the United States Military and everyone has to salute it.

My question, however, is: If a Private has managed to acquire the MoH for whatever reasons, and he meets a General somewhere, who salutes first? The General to the medal or the Private to the General? Or does the General have to salute twice, first to the MoH, then wait for the Private's salute, then salute back to the Private?

funny question. Here in BW rank and medals dont mix.

I have several medals my bosses don´t have and they still won´t salute me biggrin_o.gif

Rank is the deciding thing here in germany, medals are only decoration.

I see, Ex-Ronin is thinking of getting a medal. biggrin_o.gif Somehow I think rank is the deciding factor in Canada as well.

funny question. Here in BW rank and medals dont mix.

I have several medals my bosses don´t have and they still won´t salute me biggrin_o.gif

Rank is the deciding thing here in germany, medals are only decoration.

same here

Bals , what medals you have other than commermorative ones ?

Well a private wouldn't just be walking around with his MoH strapped to his chest (though I probably would), only for formal or dress occassions would it come out. So the private would most likely still have to slaute the general first...(being the MoH wouldn't be on his normal uniform).

Also the medal isn't one that straps to your chest like the others...it goes around your neck as a necklace or something with a large band (generally red white and blue). If the private was walking around wearing it everyday, chances are his ass would get chewed by the general.

Yeah, the private would still have to salute first. I mean, the general might get all sentimental and misty-eyed and salute first for show, but the private with an MOH coming across the greenest lieutennant you can find (who can't even get his boots on the right feet) will still have to salute the lieutennant. However, that private probably won't remain a private for much longer. An MoH is a big thing for promotion points.  wow_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

An interesting thing I've noticed lately is that all US soldiers who have been killed in Iraq and/or Afghanistan seem to be getting awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. We're giving away medals for valor to the dead... which is highly unusual. I mean, I don't know the circumstances in which everyone died, but it seems to me that the US is trying to limit the pain by awarding medals that aren't necessarily deserved. A guy getting shot while buying a Coke gets a bronze star?  rock.gif From what I hear, PFC Lynch, that girl that was captured, will get a whole bunch of medals for being captured - Bronze Star, Soldier's Medal, Purple Heart, POW Ribbon, and maybe more!

But I know in GW1, all officers and senior non-commissioned officers were awarded bronze stars just because we won. And the Air Force in Kosovo were giving away Bronze and Silver Stars like candy the the pilots who flew only a handful of missions over there.

Giving away medals like these just seems to demean their purpose to me. My Grandfather was awarded the Bronze Star when he was in WWII, and I can't help but wonder if what he did to earn it meets the same standards as it does today. I mean, I can't believe he got the medal for being the best KP Ranger in the Division, right?

I agree that it's wrong giving out medals collectivly. That's what you have unit citations for, which are very different from medals given to individuals who have distinguished themselves.

I know that Victoria Cross winners are always saluted first, no matter the rank.

This doesn't apply to any other awards, only the Victoria Cross. (And as most are awarded posthumously, you won't see many high ranking officers saluting enlisted men)

Are the most recent Medals of Honor still belonging to SFC Randy Shughart and MSG Gary Gordon? Or has there been any recent additions? rock.gif

Well a private wouldn't just be walking around with his MoH strapped to his chest (though I probably would), only for formal or dress occassions would it come out. So the private would most likely still have to slaute the general first...(being the MoH wouldn't be on his normal uniform).

Also the medal isn't one that straps to your chest like the others...it goes around your neck as a necklace or something with a large band (generally red white and blue). If the private was walking around wearing it everyday, chances are his ass would get chewed by the general.

All actual medals are only worn on your dress uniform. In other circumstances, you wear your ribbons, which are coloured the same way as the medals ribbon.

In regards to the MoH, the ribbon is blue with white stars.

Are the most recent Medals of Honor still belonging to SFC Randy Shughart and MSG Gary Gordon? Or has there been any recent additions? rock.gif

Yes, and I haven't heard of anyone being recommended for the MoH from Afghanistan and/or Iraq.

There should be special medals for Medics! I think this realy is a job where someone can show bravery!

Well medics get combat awards like the infantry in the US Army do. There are Expert Field Medical Badges (EFMB) like the Expert Infantryman Badge (EIB) and Combat Field Medical Badges like Combat Infantryman Badges. But no medals specifically for medics. They are eligible for the same medals as everyone else.

Quote[/b] ]Bals , what medals you have other than commermorative ones ?

Ran I will pm you. I don´t feel comfortable making this that public.

Even if a private did get a MoH and a promotion i dont think it would be enough to surpass the general by ranks. So in the end I think that the private would still have to salute the general.

Quote[/b] ]Bals , what medals you have other than commermorative ones ?

Ran I will pm you.  I don´t feel comfortable making this that public.

ok , no prob

I agree that it's wrong giving out medals collectivly. That's what you have unit citations for, which are very different from medals given to individuals who have distinguished themselves.

Well they aren't even doing it collectively, necessarily, in that everyone who served gets a Bronze Star. They're limiting it to officers and NCOs, even the supply, accounting and JAG officers - the privates and junior sergeants get nothing to recognize their service except maybe an expeditionary medal (like I have) or a service ribbon. At least with a unit citation EVERYONE gets an award.

I read a book on the Medal of Honor and its recipients once.  Since it is awarded by the President on behalf of Congress, all recipients must be saluted regardless of whether or not they are outranked.  The MOH is also the only medal worn around the neck, and may be worn at all times (in or out of uniform) should the recipient desire to do so, although a ribbon is made that can be worn in lieu of the whole medal.

Some facts:

Quote[/b] ]Often called the Congressional Medal of Honor, it is the nation's highest military award for uncommon valor by men and women in the armed forces. It is given for actions that are above and beyond the call of duty in combat against an armed enemy.

The medal was first awarded by the army on March 25, 1863. 3400 men and one woman have been awarded the medal.

Recipients of the medal receive $400 per month for life, a right to burial at Arlington National Cemetery, admission for them or their children to a service academy (if they qualify and quotas permit), and free travel on government aircraft to almost anywhere in the world, on a space-available basis.

Quote[/b] ]The Medal of Honor also confers a special rank on its recipients. The highest ranking officer in the US military is required to initiate the salute, no matter how low the rank of the recipient, many of them enlisted personnel.

This is why the President always salutes the recipient first when awarding the medal.

It is also illegal to wear the medal falsely:

Laws Governing the Wearing of the Medal

Uniform Requirements of the medal:

Quote[/b] ]The Medal of Honor is the only medal not issued in miniature. It is worn around the neck with both the full dress and mess dress uniform, and its distinctive pale blue ribbon with five white stars on the service dress uniform.

Edit: This has changed, a miniature of the medal is now made, it is a blue ribbon with white stars on it. The recipient may elect to wear this instead of the entire medal now.

More interesting facts:

MOH Info Site

Quote[/b] ]The Medal of Honor also confers a special rank on its recipients. The highest ranking officer in the US military is required to initiate the salute, no matter how low the rank of the recipient, many of them enlisted personnel.

This is why the President always salutes the recipient first when awarding the medal.

That's what I've heard , but I was'nt 100% sure as many meant otherwise.

Quote[/b] ]The medal was first awarded by the army on March 25, 1863. 3400 men and one woman have been awarded the medal.

Isn't Captain Karen Emma Walden the only woman who has been awarded the Medal of Honour?

I've seen Courage under fire, starring Meg Ryan as Cpt Walden....

Is'nt there a civilian-variant of the Medal of Honour too?

Can't remember what it is called though

No, that was a fictional story. The only female recipient was a female civil war doctor who won it under dubious circumstances. There is currently a movement afoot to have her medal stripped.

"No, that was a fictional story. The only female recipient was a female civil war doctor who won it under dubious circumstances. There is currently a movement afoot to have her medal stripped."

Of course, she is a woman, thats dubious all right! Women shouldnt have the CMH!! (ehh...)

Of course, she is a woman, thats dubious all right! Women shouldnt have the CMH!! (ehh...)

I strongly suggest you edit that post mad_o.gif

I strongly suggest you edit that post  mad_o.gif

Does "sarcasm" ring a bell?  wink_o.gif

Is'nt there a civilian-variant of the Medal of Honour too?

Can't remember what it is called though

Medal of Freedom, I think. smile_o.gif