Sign in to follow this  
Postduifje

Nijmegen 4-days walk

Posted this last year also, but let's ask it again:

Since many of the forum members are military or ex-military, anyone walking the Nijmegen 4-days walk starting next tuesday (in Nijmegen offcourse)? Every year, several thousand military and ex-military participants come from all over the world to my home town Nijmegen to walk this walk, four times fifty kilometers through the former battlefields of Market Garden.

If so, I'll give you morning exercize at the start, and cheers from the sideline (mostly drunk offcourse tounge_o.gif)

edit: this is the official site (english version) of the "vierdaagse/4-days"

You'll never catch me doing it.

I've seen my friends having to carve dead skin off their feet with razors, boots filling with blood, and gonad chaffing that required stitches.

The US Army guys (Green recruits with shaved hair) were funny though. They sprinted off at the beginning laughing at everyone. Next day, they stated appearing lying by the side of the road with a big 'M' on there foreheads.

(Shows what happens when you try a 4 day march with no training, and no one with experience leading)

I've got some photos somewhere, I'll have a look for them (The US Marines beating the shit out of some pissed Irish guys for nicking the Sqn's Union Jack was the best (Thanks guys! ) If you do it, you'll at least get a good laugh out of it. (And lots of pain!)

I'm a local in Nijmegen, so I'll know what the march is all about. I won't walk it either tounge_o.gif

During the march there's also a summerfest. It's always nice to meet the walkers on the street, totally drunk and asking where they can find the red light district tounge_o.gif

Anyway, I consider it the best time of the year here, allways something fun to do.

Heh..Funny you should say that, Baron... Were I still in my UAS I'd have done it, as well as the CIOR...But due to certain circumstances... sad_o.gif

I'm not military/ex-military, and the only way you'd get me to walk that far is if there was some sort of candy-dispensing machine at the end of the race. biggrin_o.gif

Seriously though I've always wanted to do a marathon. One that doesn't involve seeing how long I can play a game I mean.

I'm not military/ex-military, and the only way you'd get me to walk that far is if there was some sort of candy-dispensing machine at the end of the race. biggrin_o.gif

Seriously though I've always wanted to do a marathon.  One that doesn't involve seeing how long I can play a game I mean.

Take a map, find your place, find a place that is approx. 20km out, jog to that place and back, and you have completed your marathon smile_o.gif

Yeah but... uh, it's hot out and there's that west nile disease going around. wow_o.gif

I'm a marathon car driver. I drove a car at 20mph for around 3 hours for a bike race. biggrin_o.gif

Don't Marines do a 40 mile hike at the end of basic?

yeah , and in the french foreign legion there's a 3days 150km tactical march at the end of the basic with fake ambushes , ability tests for weapon handling , radio procedures and first aid tounge_o.gif

the Crucible, you mean?  (USMC)

Yup. 56 hours I belive. 48 of it you have to keep awake Marching, Walking, Running, and going through various obstacles.

I could probably stay awake for that long.

Marching all that distance? Well, I'm not a marine. tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I could probably stay awake for that long.

Marching all that distance?  Well, I'm not a marine.  

[mumble] ...you ..lolly gaggin... clust......k....[/mumble]

tounge_o.gif

i could fly that far and bring ten times the whoop-ass though biggrin_o.gif

a-10-0415a10-s.jpg

Not if I've got my duct tape.... don't ask crazy_o.gif

Anyway. How many people usually attend this march?

Not if I've got my duct tape.... don't ask  crazy_o.gif

Anyway.  How many people usually attend this march?

Well it's the biggest sporting event (of it's kind) in the world.

I think last year there were something like 200 000 participants in it or something ridiculous like that smile_o.gif

Oh and people seem to be getting slightly confused : This isn't a marathon.It's a march.You have to march through the towns and villages wink_o.gif (Of course you can run or jog in between but when you're going through a village or town you have to march)

It started to day and i am watching it some times on the news ( hart van nederland/ 2 vandaag/RTL4 news ) but i think its hard to walk so many KM's in 4 day's or is it not so hard? crazy_o.gif

It started to day and i am watching it some times on the news ( hart van nederland/ 2 vandaag/RTL4 news ) but i think its hard to walk so many KM's in 4 day's or is it not so hard?  crazy_o.gif

Well a friend of mine is participating and she practiced allot, walking 10 km a day or something like that for a couple of months. Then it would be doable smile_o.gif

During my studies in switzerland friends of mine and me used to pick a mountain every weekend. And we decided not to return home before having reached its top.

We didnt pick it on a map or something, we drove around the lake of Geneva and chose mountains by "beauty". We parked the car and simply started walking. And as always we underestimated the size.

I am pretty bad in running long distances but walking in the mountains I seem to be realy good. I start realy realy slow and never make any breaks in order not to disturb my walking-routine. It realy works!

Posted this last year also, but let's ask it again:

Since many of the forum members are military or ex-military, anyone walking the Nijmegen 4-days walk starting next tuesday (in Nijmegen offcourse)? Every year, several thousand military and ex-military participants come from all over the world to my home town Nijmegen to walk this walk, four times fifty kilometers through the former battlefields of Market Garden.

If so, I'll give you morning exercize at the start, and cheers from the sideline (mostly drunk offcourse tounge_o.gif)

edit: this is the official site (english version) of the "vierdaagse/4-days"

You wouldn't see me doing it! tounge_o.gif

Due to the extreme warm weather the march is shortened today (and only today) by 10 km on the 40km/day and 50km/day marches. This only hapened once before, in 1972 or so rock.gif

Anyways, It's really fun to be here in Nijmegen during the march, though lots of drinks are needed when it's this hot wink_o.gif

btw there are not 200.000 participants, more like 50.000

my CO at air cadets is going to take charge of the trent wing team and he wants me to go next year.... fat chance

They are all bloody masochists, I mean look at the bus times to get to the start let alone walking 200km in 4 days!!  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

Obviously they have never heard that;

ONLY DULL PEOPLE ARE BRIGHT IN THE MORNING