Sign in to follow this  
miles teg

British wwii addon pack released

Go get it at the WWIIEC site at:

http://ofp.axlegames.com/~ww2ec/

So far the infantry all look very good and the Daimler armored car and the Cromwell tank are both excellent. However I was disapointed that they didn't make a Daimler armored car with a armored gun turret on it. But oh well it's still alot of fun to drive through a town full of German troops and watching all the machine gun fire wizzing all around you and pinging against the armor... and then seeing the occasional Panzerfaust rocket explode near you. But as long as you keep the pedal to the metal, usually they miss. smile_o.gif

I haven't tested the Cromwell's armor yet but so far it can be taken out by one hit from the PIAT.

smile_o.gif

Oh... one error in it is in the demo mission. It asks for a missing PIAT and one of Kegetys's addons. That's important because the flamethrower needs a special script for it to work. Worse the mission is in .pbo format so if you want to use it as a template (like to use the flamethrower), you have to dePBO it which is just an extra hassle. Also the readme file is all screwed... it's in a txt file, but it looks like it is supposed to be some other format. It's almost impossible to read unless you have a lot of patience. It's a shame they couldn't fix little annoying problems like that.

But other then that the pack looks fantastic and I highly recommed that you'all download it.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

well not red devil, its the full british pack including tanks, guns, vehicles, soldiers and so on  biggrin_o.gif

31-05Cromwell.jpg

31-05Daimler.jpg

Everything works cept the demo misson. I think this addon at ease is way too confusing for the average person but hey.

Everything works cept the demo misson. I think this addon at ease is way too confusing for the average person but hey.

Addon at ease is what it says easy, I like addon at ease utility 

Very nice british pack WWIIEC keep continue to produce good addons tounge_o.gif

Nice people have been moning on there forums for this release for a while now.

Not me though smile_o.gif

The Cromwell is crashing my OFP....!!! mad_o.gif

But other then that this pack is GREAT... Now, jerry's in a lot of trouble!

hey fighter, where is that sherman from in the back of your 2nd picture..looks pretty nice?

It is Sherman by Marcel from A1 pack. I think, it is best Sherman so far (design).

smile_o.gif

looks pretty good im DL'ing it now. havent been around the fourms in a while...feels kinda weird...but do i relly know how i feel? rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]More screenshots for you :-)

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

edit: pic size over 100kb

Edited by RalphWiggum on June 30 2003,05:15

Biggest picture is 97, 487 kB sad_o.gif

there actually around the 200 kb mark.

However I was disapointed that they didn't make a Daimler armored car with a armored gun turret on it.

the Daimler Scout/Dingo didn't have any armored turret

on the other hand , the Ferret armored car did have one

Ah ok! Thanks for the factual info. That would be wonderful if we see a Feret sometime soon. smile_o.gif Even as it is however I still like this little armored car. I was having fun driving through that little road on Wake Island where the tall grass is. I made both sides full of Japanese soldiers and put a mine in the road to take out the lead M3 halftrack from the Invasion1944 demo pack. It was an awesome firefight!! It's really exciting fighting in that tall grass as the AI has a hard time targetting in the grass just as the players do so it creates some really hairy situations where you run right into the Japanese soldiers. smile_o.gif At any rate, when I was driving the Daimler Scout car, it was crazy seeing all the tracer fire hiting the halftracks and my little scout car, but I made it through the second try. smile_o.gif That little armored car tends to grow on you. smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I believe ur mistaken there mate. The Daimler armoured car was often mounted with a 6 pounder AT gun and a vickers Heavy machine gun.

Play close Combat 2 is u want more info. Man that was a great game smile_o.gif

Just a few questions about the Cromwell from one uneducated about British armour:

How weak is it supposed to be?

Should I be putting it up against Tigers or Panzer 3s?

It takes one (long distance)hit from a Tiger to Knock out a cromwell,

but 5 shots from the cromwell to knock out one of it's own?

BTW the tiger is from Inv44. Your'e armour and weapon sysems are compatible right?

The armoured car ingame is the BSA designed Daimler Dingo Mk II scout car which was unarmoured in real life.

lynx_2.jpg

Dingo

From it was developed the Daimler Scout car armed with a Quick firing 2pdr (40mm) gun and a 7.92mm Besa machine gun.

daimler_armoured_car_mkii.gif

Daimler Scout Car

The name of the game for the Dingo is recon it was not intented to contact with the enemy, merely observe and report back. It has storage for 8 Bren gun magazines but this would be for a mobile Bren, not mounted on the vehicle.

The Ferret is similar to the Scout Car as they were both made by Daimler but the Ferret only had a 7.62mm for armament.

ferret.jpg

Daimler Ferret

Now ends your history lesson on British armoured cars!!  tounge_o.gif

BTW does anybody know what happed to Maac and Marfy's M8 Greyhound? Will it be released?

ONTOPIC This is a great pack and i love the Bren gun its lethal range is miles as I now know unfortunately!

Cose Combat 2 was a great game and slowly ofp is going that way, so ww2 action can only get better smile_o.gif

Great pack and the flame thrower rocks or burns. the ai uses it very well also

Yup! I LOVE watching the AI assault with the flamethrower. However they need to include better instructions on how to get the flamethrower script to work or they to include that on a demo mission with only addons from this pack.

What really would be cool would be to see the flamethrower soldier explode in flames when he got hit by gunfire like in Saving Private Ryan during the part showing the Omaha beach invasion.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Could someone post up the inits for the flamethrower script? I deleted the pack's readme like an idiot and because I'm on a 56k, I'd rather not download it again just for a few lines of the readme.

Oh ooops... I guess I was wrong, they did put info on using the flamethrower. I guess I just didn't see it the first time I read it. Here is the info on the readme for using it:

◦ FLAMETHROWER

This addon uses scripts adapted from mav’s (mav.northwind@web.de) script. For using the flamethrower in a custom mission you must create a circular trigger for every unit using the flamethrower and give it a unique name - trig1 for instance. The triggers should activate by anybody, be repeatable and should have a radius of 5m. Then add the following to the unit's init line:

[this, "RDFlamethrower", trig1] exec "\redevilw\RDflamethrower.sqs"

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Has anyone had this prob or have i left something out?

if you are on the east side and you shoot the guy with the flamethrower, run over and pic it up it doesn't work.

(the flame/fire work but the kill script doesn't. I may be wrong tho?)

I found out the hard way in a quick mission i made, you assault an airfield (para drop in) and have to withstand an armour counter attack (cromwell's). Ran out of rpg's found the flamethrower and chared into the open flaming the tank which didn't hesitate to blow me apart once it saw me smile_o.gif

Does anyone else believe they made the cromwell a little weak? For all intents and purposes the Cromwell was a British version of the Sherman, except slightly better armoured and not liable to blow up as easily due to better engine design. Germans called the Sherman the "Tommy cooker"

However testing it against WW2ECs Shermans I found it to be SIGNIFICANTLY weaker in both firepower and armour, which is strange. One PIAT shot can blow it up in one whereas for the Sherman it will take at least 2. Plus, dont get me started on how long it takes to reload vs the Sherman on even I44s Panzer as WW2EC and INV44 are supposed to be compatible now.

Otherwise great pack!

Oh yes and thanks for the lesson on armoured cars mate, looks like ur right. I'd still like to see the version with the 2 Pounder. I remember once in Close Combat 2 when my Daimler knocked out a King Tiger at around 80 metres and annhilated some infatry. I think he got a VC in the end. smile_o.gif