Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

Vbs newsrelease

Well if you think about it BIS would have change the format on the addons just abit if they were really worried about the addons being used in OFP.

This doesnt make any sense.

It's not a matter of mixed emotions. Its a matter of legality. It is illegal for anyone except the US Marines or members of another authorized agency to have VBS1 in whole or in part.

Talking openly of importing files on the forum of the company that made that very license that you would be violating is not a smart thing to do and further discussion of it could result in consequences for those involved. Consider this a warning.

if it was then BIS and Coalescent couldn't advertise it on the internet "For Sale".

and did you read requirements for the sale?

http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystems.com/purchasing01.html

Quote[/b] ]Eligibility

The VBS1â„¢ products are only sold to federal, state, and local government agencies for military, law enforcement, homeland defense, and first responder training. To help reduce administrative costs, we request that only qualified organizations contact us for purchases or additional information.

Quote[/b] ]Well,Looks like it will all be a big secert.That way nobody gets mixed emotions.

AXE made some VBS inspired stuffs. those are ok since they have no basis on VBS. however converting models from VBS, as explaind above my Hellfish6, violates license agreement.

It's not a big secret...anyone can but the system. it's like taking a model from one game to incorperate into OFP...it's been done before. VBS1 is by no means confidential information...if it was then BIS and Coalescent couldn't advertise it on the internet "For Sale".

The only thing I want to do is see if the 3D models of the vehicles can be converted to OFP...not steal VBS1 and burn illegal copies..THAT would be illegal.

I am in no way even close to article 15. More studying of the UCMJ should be done before acusing me of anything.

Obviously I'm not getting through here. Not just anybody can buy VBS1. Believe me, I tried before I became a mod. You can only obtain VBS1 through a purchase order from the approved agency. So while it may be on sale on the net, it's not for sale to Joe Browser.

And maybe I wasn't clear when I said that distribution of VBS1 in whole or in part is a breach of license. Models are part of VBS1 and are thus subject to said license. It is just as illegal as burning copies of the entire program.

It is also tantamount to theft, even if it is not-for-profit. Intellectual property rights are held by BIS and CT and if they find you out, they can press charges. Last I heard, theft was still a punishable offense under UCMJ.

ok First off you saying I'm going to do it, when all I asked is could it be done...see thats where all this came to be a problem...I asked one question and everyone jumped on the "lets hang him" ban wagon.

Now I am mainly asking this for a few reasons...one...If the VBS addons are convertable to OFP to see if it COULD be done

And secondly: If I can convert addons from VBS1 to OFP then I can convert OFP to VBS1...see where I'm going with this now wink_o.gif

Oh and if you want to se a VBS1 addon in action just look at the OFP addons...they're the same thing. Actually Addons built by Hawk, DKM, Colonel Klink and other gifted Modders are 10 times better then the VBS addons.

to do so - see whether convertability stands or not - you'd have to actually do it to confirm it. and that's where you were heading to.

theoretically, i think it won't be hard, since 3d models are same and config is only difference. my personal opinion is that some of .130 patch units and OFPR addons were actually from VBS, but was used in OFPR.

ok First off you saying I'm going to do it, when all I asked is could it be done...see thats where all this came to be a problem...I asked one question and everyone jumped on the "lets hang him" ban wagon.

Now I am mainly asking this for a few reasons...one...If the VBS addons are convertable to OFP to see if it COULD be done

And secondly: If I can convert addons from VBS1 to OFP then I can convert OFP to VBS1...see where I'm going with this now   wink_o.gif

Oh and if you want to se a VBS1 addon in action just look at the OFP addons...they're the same thing. Actually Addons built by Hawk, DKM, Colonel Klink and other gifted Modders are 10 times better then the VBS addons.

Well you gave us the impression that you were going to try, hence our rather immediate reaction to it.

Out of curiosity, how is the Harrier in VBS1? Does it operate like Col. Klink's? And is there anything that we haven't seen in VBS1 that is really cool?

So vbs1 is just OPF with diferent units? I wonder if the same old bugs are there too wink_o.gif ? Clipping probs, poor building interaction, etc? And A.i. behaviour, its problably the same too eh? smile_o.gif .

If per say, I ask my local Police department to buy a copy.  And once they figure out they don't have a clue how to use it, and I buy it from them.  Is that legal? Or can no civilian get it at all?

Aww but I'm joining the Marines in two years, and the probably go into police work after that.

I want VBS now! WAAA!!! lol biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Out of curiosity, how is the Harrier in VBS1? Does it operate like Col. Klink's? And is there anything that we haven't seen in VBS1 that is really cool?

Well to be honest that is the main reason why I wanted to know if the addons could be converted....the VBS1 Harrier has two versions..hover and fixed flight. They don't have the VTOL ability...niether does the MV-22

Instead of 'hanging' 302 dragon, i believe we as a community should thank and welcome him here as he can clear up the mystery of vbs for many of us who have clearly high expectations of it, being that dragon is a user of that programme and would offer much objective feedback of both ofp and vbs.

As to the convertability issue, no point in raising hue and cry. Anything and everything a man make can be 'unmade' if u get what i mean. Furthermore, govt agencies have the resources and manpower to convert or subvert it for their use and what makes one so sure they have not done it yet?

One main reason vbs is not for the average joe browser is that there are critical addons that would be dangerous if it falls on the wrong hands. In the anti-terrorist vbs pic, there is a pic of a passenger aircraft. I dont wanna say much but imagine if a bank robber team creates a 3d bank addon and place troops/police/guards there and rehearse on it. You can imagine the consequences. And sadly, if one is determine, one doesnt need ofp or vbs for rehearsals, the comp world is filled with 3d games. 3d games are like a hammer, just a tool. Its not the hammer that kills but the welder of the hammer. Fortunately for govt agencies, they now have vbs to counter the smart crook/animals.

Thank you for sticking up for me philcommando. I just want to let you know that there isn't anything you can do with VBS1 that can't be done with OFP. The systems are the same, identical, in how they run how the program was written and so on. The only major differences is you need a USB key card to play the game...and it's just a game.

The USMC only uses it to improve battle field leadership, mainly because the realism level for battle isn't that good. Try getting a computer iliterate grunt on there and he may know how to take charge of a battle field but if he can't turn the damn computer on what good is he for the training evolution...see what I'm saying.

There are company's out there trying to develop a Virtual reality system to go with the VBS1 system...if this works then any grunt can get into the game without having to learn what button does what. Right now they are testing VR Goggles and a VR M16A2 (With needed buttons for game on gun grip) So far, from what I've heard, the testing is going well on these two items.

Yeah exactly, what I have been thinking about for a while (and part of the reason for asking for multiple controller support) is to create custom simulator controls for every vehicle that can be controlled in OFP.

So for a tank, you could possibly use a mock up of a real tank cabin (+ VR goggles or 3 monitors) with several controls wired through several USB chips, and connected bia a USB connection or two. I don't know, maybe I can work on something like this after graduation... biggrin_o.gif Same with a chopper control, bike etc.

LOL

oh wait, I'm not suppost to laugh. I mean, OK, looks like something is happening allright. smile_o.gif

The 'game' is also sold to law enforcement agencies (read: the police). There's different modules for different needs. As it also says 'first responders' I actually wonder if the local fire department (or any medic) wouldn't be free to buy a copy...

They would be, but the proper representative from the organization has to contact Coalescent or whoever is selling. They will not sell VBS to one individual team member, it has to be a proper training project AFAIK. For example we could probably acquire VBS through our Colleges Police training department, but we can't really afford something like this. It would be a good training tool if developed with proper addons and a trainer who knows his way around VBS/OFP command language. wink_o.gif

EDIT: But to be honest 1.92 is good enough for that...

The counter-terrorist aspect of VBS is probably to draw interest from any and all potential LE/military clients, but the USMC has formed a CTU of sorts:

United States Marines Antiterrorism Force

http://popularmechanics.mondosearch.com/cgi-bin....rd=4th+

Hey thnxs for the info Earl wink_o.gif

and speaking about CTU:

Check this pic

Man that looks awesome