Sign in to follow this  
Koolkid101

Will this computer play opf well?

1000mhz is more than enough smile_o.gif I have 2000mhz,but I don't know if the FX will run on such 'old' game tough.

The 5200 is the "cheap" version of the Ge-Force FX, you would be better off getting a Ge-Force FX 5800. If you can't afford it, get at least the FX 5600.

As for CPU, I would go up to the 2.4 Gig, simply because of the higher FSB and thus makes better use of the mobo resources. Ram is good, I would look to upgrade it to a gig at around x-mas time.

You might want to get a DVD drive, or at the very least a CD drive. Do NOT use your CDRW for everyday tasks, it should be used for burning only since the refocusing of the laser every time you want to read instead of write will wear it out quickly.

Monitor wise, I would go for the 17" GEM, because it has a mask size of 0.25dp, which makes for a sharper image. If you have lots of money to spare, go for a TFT with a response time of 16ms or lower smile_o.gif

Only get service if you think you can't handle broken down parts and you have experience with fiddling around.

StarOffice is rubbish mate, I would either get M$ Office or nothing at all. If you are a student, you can get Office at a discount price, so you may want to look into that smile_o.gif

Finally, if you do have experience, as mentioned above, then maybe you should look into building the computer yourself. That way you get what you want, at the price you want, and much cheaper than this pre-built stuff smile_o.gif

Ex-Ronin, as you have a Nvidia logo in your sig I am going to assume that you are a 'Nvidiot' (  wink_o.gif  ) who has an undying love for Nvidia and that is why you suggested the crappy windblower that is the FX5800. The FX5200 is definetely dodgy so I would stay away from that.

I like ATI cards so I will naturally suggest a Radeon 9xxx series card but in case you want to buy Nvidia, I would suggest this: If you don't want to spend big money, get a Geforce 4 ti4200. Good card that is nice and cheap. If you've got more money, get a FX5600 or a FX5900 when they come out.

Or you could wait longer until the next generation of cards (the Nv40&R400) come out tounge_o.gif

In other hardware respects, if you want to play Resistance fairly well, I would recomend a cpu of around the 2gig mark (or 2000+ rating for Athlons) but if you don't have the $ stick with the 1.8. In ram, I would suggest at least 512mb of DDR but once again, if $ are scarce, 512mb will suffice.

StarOffice is rubbish mate, I would either get M$ Office or nothing at all. If you are a student, you can get Office at a discount price, so you may want to look into that smile_o.gif

Whats the dif. between Star Office and the other one?? I already have all the microsoft cds for encarta,frontpage, word is that what Star Office is?

Whats the dif. between Star Office and the other one?? I already have all the microsoft cds for encarta,frontpage, word is that what Star Office is?

I had it before, and i had no problems with it. It has all the futures you need and it works with all the microsoft office files.

Oh yah I have alot of money to spend cause my DELL DIMENSION CAN'T UPGRADE TO A ATI RADEON 9700 WHICH I SAVED UP FOR!!!!! Steer Clear of the low profile dells! crazy_o.gif

Steer clear of off the shelf PC's period smile_o.gif

Is it better to get a Geforce 4ti 4200 or a Geforce 4FX 5600? I've heard that FX cards are worse that Ti?rock.gif? Also I'd get ATI but everyones saying evil things about ATI and scaring me off.

Was it the Radion 7200 that everyone was angry at for not working with Operation Flashpoint? Anyways, good topic KoolKid101, I was about to create one this morning just like it, but then I noticed yours was here. biggrin_o.gif

I had a question about RAM types. I am looking at two types of ram, 512mb DDR PC2700 RAM and 512mb DDR PC3200 RAM. Which one is better, and how do they come up with these rating systems? (SDRAM, PC800, etc)

koolkid, FX 5600 should be better then the regular ti 4200.

Milkman, im no expert but i guess it has to do with speed. (3200 sounds like it's faster smile_o.gif

Yes, go for the 3200. As its DDR, it will run at 400mhz if your board will support it. (My runs at 400mhz, and my boards FSB is 200 - Doubled you see! )

Here's a link that will tell you all sorts about memory, speeds, and overclocking it!

Memory FAQ (Overclockers.co.uk)

Yes, go for the 3200. As its DDR, it will run at 400mhz if your board will support it. (My runs at 400mhz, and my boards FSB is 200 - Doubled you see! )

Here's a link that will tell you all sorts about memory, speeds, and overclocking it!

Memory FAQ (Overclockers.co.uk)

Thankyou smile_o.gif

Star Office is like Microsoft Office. The problem is that while Star Office can still read Microsoft Office files (although sometimes the formatting is screwed up), Microsoft Office can do nothing but throw a strop at Star Office files. You would be creating documents that are completely incompatible for your course/classmates that will be using M$ Office, as a result it would be a big PITA for things such as group work and presentations.

I also agree with Placebo, build it yourself if you can smile_o.gif

I just built another computer using spare parts from my upgraded computer. All I had to get was some RAM, the case, a few fans, a hard drive (the 15gb in the existing one didn't cut it) and then we had a brand new computer, fora little less than $400!

This is a good price for a computer which even has a 120gb hard drive, WITH a rebate for $60!

So in the end, including the power supply rebate, I will have spent $305.

Now about MS office... buy it on eBay or just PM me and I'll tell you how to get it for a very 'affordable' price (instead of $500!)

Is MS Office like word, Encarta? Say I would get an AMD processor, does it work for Raven Shield and all games? If I could get one of those I could get a really good video card.

I went for a AMD Athlon 2100 Throughbred B.

Those chips are great for overclocking, so my 2100 (1.7ghz) runs at 2600 (2.3ghz) speeds.

Office generally features Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and occasionally Frontpage and Access depending which version you buy.

Is MS Office like word, Encarta? Say I would get an AMD processor, does it work for Raven Shield and all games? If I could get one of those I could get a really good video card.

MS Office includes MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point and MS Access.

An AMD CPU means you would also have to get a different motherboard. Make sure to get an AMD Barton.

AMD is fine, watch out when you are picking a motherboard though. I had to buy a new one (150$) because the old one only supported up to 1800+ CPU's. But, on the bright side, I was able to get a new mobo and use the old processor and motherboard on another computer I just built.

AMD is fine, watch out when you are picking a motherboard though. I had to buy a new one (150$) because the old one only supported up to 1800+ CPU's. But, on the bright side, I was able to get a new mobo and use the old processor and motherboard on another computer I just built.

Is that what your sig says?

Is that what your sig says?

Yes smile_o.gif

MS Office includes MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point and MS Access.

An AMD CPU means you would also have to get a different motherboard. Make sure to get an AMD Barton.

I don't exactly need those, I already bought Frontpage, word the whole enchilda, does it come as a CD so I can give it to someone as a gift??