Sign in to follow this  

Eu - federation or not federation?

Quote[/b] ]I will just use it when i'm particurly annoyed and bigoted then.

well.. at least you're honest biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Also you don't need two verbs in that sentence, desist sounds better so cease is superfluous. It's like saying "Would you kindly stop and stop what you are doing sir".

It sounds silly and as my Dad used to say it (i nagged him until he stopped) i assume it's an Americanism

It's a legal term.

A great day for Europe I think. While it's still far from perfect its the best that was possible in our days.

Quote[/b] ]I believe that "yank" is an insensitive and bigoted slur for an American. Please cease and desist in using that term. Thank you

Damned bleeding heart liberals! mad_o.gif

Browsing through the constitution it reads a lot like what it is: a series of compromises debated paragraph for paragraph by a commitee. Not exactly blood stirring but that doesn't matter as long as it will actually serve the purpose of bringing europe closer together rather than simply illuminating lines of division.

Quote[/b] ]Well, I`ve got some distant family members (somehow connected to my dead grandmother) in Canada. That sure explains a lot, too. crazy_o.gifwink_o.gif

A lot of my family moved to Canada to live together in a huge mansion, but most of them were brutally slaughtered by their Butler so the survivors moved back to England. tounge_o.gif

A lot of my family moved to Canada to live together in a huge mansion, but most of them were brutally slaughtered by their Butler so the survivors moved back to England. tounge_o.gif

Woah Dude! thats heavy! Why the funny face?

Woah Dude! thats heavy! Why the funny face?

Not really that heavy. It was over a century before I was born, so......

I put a funny face in? It was meant to be wow_o.gif I guess my finger slipped.

Yes it is a good example of the benefits of European cooperation but its at least as much as example of the benefits for european companies of American rivals hitting harder times (the american airline industry post sept.11 anyone?) . Not wishing to throw manure on the parade of course.. hooraay EU tounge_o.gif

Glad to hear the Czechs are in, i dont think they'll stand for too much being dictated to. And many of the eastern countries are more atlanticist in outlook (counter to franco-german view). A little reassuring. smile_o.gif

And many of the eastern countries are more atlanticist in outlook (counter to franco-german view). A little reassuring. smile_o.gif

Only their governments. The people are not. For example the popular opposition against the Iraq war was the greatest in eastern Europe.

Quote[/b] ] i dont think they'll stand for too much being dictated to.

On the contrary, it's just that they'll be dictated to from Europe and not USA. Their economies are still too weak to make them a significant player. That will of course change over time, but until then they'll just have to attach themselves to the strongest side available.

Edit: On the other hand one can wonder about how good idea the EU is when you see what idiot politicans Italy always manages to spawn. Their politicains make George W. Bush look like the reincarnation of John F. Kennedy.

Quote[/b] ]The row comes days after figures showed a large drop in the number of immigrants reaching Italy this year.

LOL. Think the army used the guns before the Politicain said go?

Oh and look at the poll! Neck and neck.

Quote[/b] ]Oh and look at the poll! Neck and neck.
Not anymore! 50,53 for the correct answer smile_o.gif

OMG W3 R TeH L0S3!!! H4X!!!! wink_o.gif

Sorry about that outbreak. I think while this poll is far from being representative it shows the trend. We are at this moment not ready for a closer and more "federalized" EU.

Yet.

I think in ten years the same poll may show a clearly different result.

Quote[/b] ]Oh and look at the poll! Neck and neck.
Not anymore! 50,53 for the correct answer  smile_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif

Looks like the <s>Mainland European bitches</s> pro EU fed guys are loosing.

*rant mode enabled*

Denoir-

Quote[/b] ]Only their governments. The people are not. For example the popular opposition against the Iraq war was the greatest in eastern Europe.

So i have heard but in the short term (that i am concerned about here) it doesnt matter. If the ruling strata see engagement with America as broadly positive then im sure they will do everything they can to sell it to (or disguise it from) their people.

And you mention Italy... thats kind of what i have been talking about. For the European Union to work it is important to have at least a vague idea of our shared ideals, and yet in Italy theres a billionaire leader on trial trying to change the law just to cover his own arse, aggressively taking over the media (compared to which the BBC seems clean as snow) in a coalition with former neo-nazis. In Britain we have just gone to war despite most of the rest of europe being opposed (and half of this country) , in Belgium theyll soon be bringing charges against Satan and his demon armies for crimes against niceness. Some people in europe seem to view the whole point of the EU as providing a military and economic counter weight to the US and to become a new world superpower, others want it more simply to be a trade bloc and perhaps a way of making their countries more prosperous blah blah...

There are lots of problems and every country has a different solution. It is quite frequently said by Scandinavians on this forum that we in west (often America) do not have the right to dictate to others what is the 'right' way of living. We cannot tell people how to live. And yet that seems at the moment to constitute a significant part of what the EU actually does. Legislating on how people should live (or at least on most aspects of life). Perhaps its just a necessary phase but it doesnt feel very necessary here. I am not inspired by the EU at the moment. I should be and i want to be but im not. What inspirational or visionary figures are there?

Its not working yet in Britain, its pissing people off. We dont feel included i think.

The EU is not 'us' but rather its 'them' . I wonder if/when that will change. So the EU cannot be a federation (a feared idea in the UK) until we decide precisely what it is that joins all of us (or if there is such a thing) or else its doomed to failure. What is the core EU ideology? (and how many could agree on it?)

Perhaps we need a war tounge_o.gif

Some people in europe seem to view the whole point of the EU as providing a military and economic counter weight to the US and to become a new world superpower, others want it more simply to be a trade bloc and perhaps a way of making their countries more prosperous blah blah...

There are lots of problems and every country has a different solution. It is quite frequently said by Scandinavians on this forum that we in west (often America) do not have the right to dictate to others what is the 'right' way of living. We cannot tell people how to live. And yet that seems at the moment to constitute a significant part of what the EU actually does. Legislating on how people should live (or at least on most aspects of life). Perhaps its just a necessary phase but it doesnt feel very necessary here. I am not inspired by the EU at the moment. I should be and i want to be but im not. What inspirational or visionary figures are there?

Its not working yet in Britain, its pissing people off. We dont feel included i think.

The EU is not 'us' but rather its 'them' . I wonder if/when that will change. So the EU cannot be a federation (a feared idea in the UK) until we decide precisely what it is that joins all of us (or if there is such a thing) or else its doomed to failure. What is the core EU ideology? (and how many could agree on it?)

Perhaps we need a war  tounge_o.gif

As I wrote some pages ago, I'm most worried about how and of what and European identity is developed.

The kind of strongly uniting identities are always made up of quite few 'components', I dare say after reading some behavioral science. Concrete 'categorisations' of one self; most often in a binary contrast to 'what others are'...

Ah, i'm not gonna try to rant about such shitty stuff in any larger extent here, but put it like this: I believe that if Europe is not united by a cheap, ingroup/outgroup, identity; I then think that the EU could become a positive force in the world. Both for our selves and for others, in the long and maybe also very long term. To put it real easy and silly: If EU is built, and united, around "peace, love and understanding" stuff biggrin_o.gif , I'm all for it. And I have, no, matter how stupid and naive it might sound, quite some belief in that it has clear potential to do so. One academic reason I could give for it, is for example the quickly growing 'postsructuralist' and 'postmodern' perspectives in all scientific traditions...

If the EU should become united in a cheap way I'm sure it will not last very long, probably just follow the path of other superpowers in history. That would not be very positive in it self, in my opinion. But I strongly believes that even that will be for better in the long run, because of the very likely and present (in my eyes) 'downfall' of the USA . I know that you hold cross-atlatic realtions dear. But I really fear what could happen if no balancing power appears when the superduperpower USA  really starts to desperately fight for its survival. I cant but think that the present Bush administration's actions is but a pale start of whats gonna happen otherwise. Militarily because it probably starts to desperately hit hard and fast against everything and everyone it (USA) thinks can save it. Economically because almost the entire world, to big parts, depends on the USA today; there would be a global real deep depression in that powervacuum.

Maybe the superpower USA does not follow the path of every other 'empire' in history, or at least not now. But I'm willing to risk my life in making sure that there is something (EU) still standing up in case USA is on its downfall. Call it a 'preempive survival constrution' ( biggrin_o.gif ) if you want; at least something that can bear a crucial, at least in the present day global society (Eurocentric indeed sad_o.gif ), role in a quickly developing post-US world - if it happens...

So even if I believe that the EU have clear potential to become a positive force in it self, I think it is crucial - in any form - in case............

Centralised power = bad.

Democracy is watered down enough today. Imagine what it'd be like if there was only one government in the whole EU?

Federalizm != Centralizm (is that even a word???)

I agree only one government is bad. That's why there are local/regional/national governments already.

But what we urgently need in Europe is a common foreign and security policy for Europe.

If every european country is just doing its own thing we will be screwed by more powerfull "global players" over and over.

The people in Europe deserve better.

Perhaps we need a war  tounge_o.gif

Sure. smile_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

a war fought with sticks and stones??

how lovely. tounge_o.gif

No more sexy bitches in EU media?

Advertisements that affront "human dignity" by demeaning women would be prohibited under proposals being drafted by the European Commission.

Television programmes would also be censored to ensure there was no promotion of gender stereotypes.

The plans, still in their infancy, are already provoking bitter dispute in Brussels and were described by one commission official yesterday as "lunatic".

Tabloid newspaper "Page Three" pictures would also be threatened. Most forms of gender discrimination - either for or against women - would become illegal, affecting welfare benefits, education and health insurance. But plans to ban London gentlemen's clubs have been abandoned as a step too far.

biggrin_o.gifClick here for a preview of future Page 3 girls biggrin_o.gif

-=Die Alive=-

heh.. tip of the iceberg there Die Alive. The bureaucracy heavy EU will have all kinds of special interest groups dictating this kind of stuff.