Sign in to follow this  
Footmunch

Su27, mig21, jag, bucc finals

Yeh I'd also really like a vulcan as well, simply because its so huge biggrin_o.gif I dont think there are many other fighting aircraft it's size and it would stand out in ofp smile_o.gif The RAF still uses the BAe Nimrod up at RAF Kinloss in Scotland, and there is a (much delayed unfortunately) upgrade for it soon with loads of nice kit on and stuff smile_o.gif I think if a Nimrod was made, it would definately have to have some sort of smoke script on it as anyone who has ever seen one flying will know the about of brown crap that comes out the back of the engines lol smile_o.gif

Crippler smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]CBFASI:

Canberra's are still in use btw...... very few but they still got

a special place.

Apparently so - for 'Strategic Reconnaissance' - what is this

a euphemism for?

Also, while I knew that pilots were on the whole, brave,

committed men, it takes a special brand of cojones to fly

an aircraft older than the crew.

There is, of course, the whole ANZAC line as well.

I also read somewhere that the Argentinians had some

(American-built B-57) Canberras in the '82 conflict, and that

they are still in service with them. Harriers intercepting

Canberras, anyone?

Quote[/b] ]CBFASI:

Another thought, some of these older aircraft are still in

service with some of the poorer nations.

Especially the Hunter: sold to just about everyone, from

the information I've seen. In service well into the 80's with

such diverse people as the Indians, Swiss and Peruvians.

Quote[/b] ]Miles Teg:

There are various scripts that can be used to simulate carpet

bombing, but also, as you probably know the Vulcan can carry

a wide load of missiles and other weaponry

The Vulcan should be a fairly easy mesh to put together, and

should have a 'strategic' bombing capability along with Shrike's

and so on. Of course, if we gave it the full 21 1000lb bomb

load, I think it could pretty much wipe out as big an OPFOR

that could be placed on a OFP island.

Say no to Nukes (from a lag point of view, at least).

Quote[/b] ]<>Crippler<>:

I'd also really like a vulcan as well, simply because its so huge

30m x 30m x 10m should fit in O2, but will be off the grid.

All right, if you're all good boys and girls over the weekend,

you might get a little present on Monday, deluxe Buccaneer

permitting.

Quote[/b] ]<>Crippler<>:

I'd also really like a vulcan as well, simply because its so huge

30m x 30m x 10m should fit in O2, but will be off the grid.

Just scale it to 3m x 3m x 1m then scale by ten smile_o.gif

I actaully have a 3ds/lwo of a Vulcan Bomber on my harddrive, its a conversion from a FS98 model, only side affect is that every other face has been flipped.

I have done some of the face reversals, but its a slow job..

If anyone wants to continue it contact me on PM... I do intend doing a version myself , just don't know the timeframe yet I lived next to RAF Waddington, a place that at the time you could not help but notice these beautiful planes.  One thing that always impressed me was the manouverability of this aircraft, very unexpected.

I also have book detailing the whole of the Vulcan story, inclduign what happened to eash of the planes, by serial number, also this book ahs a copy of the pilot handbook and the trials and experiments doen to extend the aircrafts usefulness (I believe she would still have had a place in today's RAF for LGB and cruise missle work)

They are trying to get one of these planes airworthy again!!!!!

Quote[/b] ]

Just scale it to 3m x 3m x 1m then scale by ten

That's the sort of thinking that has made BAS the group it

is today smile_o.gif.

Anything special planned for the 2000th post?

CBFASI - I'm presuming the timeframe is post first FLK

release, yes?

Anything special planned for the 2000th post?

Not completely sure, i was thinking of doing something for the 1985 post, but obviously that passed me by, ill have to have a think...and not post too much until i do...

The Vulcan might if I need a change coem out earlier, but I have a few other projects on-going, just a bit of variety.

Quote[/b] ]I also read somewhere that the Argentinians had some

Canberras, anyone?

Not the B57 - genuine Brit article (as were the Arg Type 42s, Sea Darts and loads of other pieces of kit). See http://www.naval-history.net/F64argaircraftlost.htm for details. There were strong pre-1982 links between the UK and Argentina - did you know, for example, *boring fact alert*that each year's highest-scoring cadet in the RAF Officer Training system up to that year was awarded the Argentine Sword?

Quote[/b] ]PS - Some mod group is doing the Skyraider aren't they?

Either DKM or BAS is it?

PPS - Do the UK armed forces use the Hawk as an attack

aircraft? I have some back-brain idea it was only used for

training by the RAF, rather than appearing on the front line.

The Skyraider in RN service was the AEW version - big glasshouse canopy, large radar underneath but NO weapons. Radar was later burgled for use on the AEW Shackletons before the NimWACS farce; we finally obtained the E3 Sentry.

Hawks aren't employed in the attack role, although they are used for gunnery training. However, the Mk1A was adapted for Sidewinder carriage and had a 2nd line intercept role(!).

Hunters in SOAF (Oman) were equipped with AIM9L and -9M missiles, but that was after the fighting in the south finished in 1975-6.

Quote[/b] ]I also read somewhere that the Argentinians had some

Canberras, anyone?

Not the B57 - genuine Brit article (as were the Arg Type 42s, Sea Darts and loads of other pieces of kit).  See http://www.naval-history.net/F64argaircraftlost.htm for details.  There were strong pre-1982 links between the UK and Argentina - did you know, for example, *boring fact alert*that each year's highest-scoring cadet in the RAF Officer Training system up to that year was awarded the Argentine Sword?

Quote[/b] ]PS - Some mod group is doing the Skyraider aren't they?

Either DKM or BAS is it?

PPS - Do the UK armed forces use the Hawk as an attack

aircraft? I have some back-brain idea it was only used for

training by the RAF, rather than appearing on the front line.

The Skyraider in RN service was the AEW version - big glasshouse canopy, large radar underneath but NO weapons.  Radar was later burgled for use on the AEW Shackletons before the NimWACS farce; we finally obtained the E3 Sentry.

Hawks aren't employed in the attack role, although they are used for gunnery training.  However, the Mk1A was adapted for Sidewinder carriage and had a 2nd line intercept role(!).

Hunters in SOAF (Oman) were equipped with AIM9L and -9M missiles, but that was after the fighting in the south finished in 1975-6.

You must be thinking of the Fairey Gannet...A strange looking turboprop that looked like the Skyraider but with contra rotating prop...Also there is a single seat version of the Hawk which is used in the CAS and light fighter role.

About the Vulcan bomber being returned to airworthy condition : unfortunately a pretty majure snag was hit...The lottery turned down the request for funding so until they find enough sponsors this bird ain't gonna be flying no more sad_o.gif

About the Lightning...All I can say is a big NO...For the simple reason that it was one of the fastest aircraft of its time if not THE fastest aircraft.It was also a fighter with no secondary ground attack role therefore not being very useful in the OFP environment.

About the Hunter....The Iraqi Air Force used them too smile_o.gif As did the Argentinians who used them to attack the parliament building in which Allende was, during Pinochet's coup.

Fleet Air Arm Early AEW aircraft incldued both the

Douglas Skyraider AEW Mk 1 (1951-1960)

AND

Fairey Gannet AEW Mk 3 (1955-late 70's)

From the information I haev the Skyraider was used as an interim until the Gannet finaly came into service (it took 6 years for the Navy to make its mind up!!).

Sad to hear about the Vulcan...

Also B57 is a Canberra, but.....

The B-57 was a licence-built US Version of the EE Canberra, and the first non-US combat type of non-American design to enter US Service. They where similiar to the Canberra B.Mk 2 but re-engineered and with Wright Turbojets..

I'm not sure that I'm being particularly helpful here, but I'll try and clear up one or 2 bits and pieces about UK kit.

Skyraider: thanks CBFASI - by the way, were you ever in Ascension? I've only ever spent about 8 days there. Some top RN Skyraider pics found via Google search at this address

Hawk: single seat version (the Hawk 200) has never served in UK forces, but my favourite Air Force (Oman) replaced the Hunter with them. Malaysians and Indonesians seem pleased with theirs, too...

Quote[/b] ]As did the Argentinians who used them to attack the parliament building in which Allende was, during Pinochet's coup.

..Er, would that be the Chileans? They don't like being mistaken for Argentines... Plenty of ex UK Canberras there, too - including the PR9 alluded to in an earlier post.

Lightnings were exported to Saudi and Kuwait, and I can remember BAC photos from that era of the beast with pop-out SNEB rocket launchers that were fitted abeam the cockpit area, either side of the fuselage - unable to find a pic. However, I have to agree that it wasn't exactly designed with mud-moving in mind.

Quote[/b] ]The B-57 was a licence-built US Version of the EE Canberra, and the first non-US combat type of non-American design to enter US Service.

Yup, quite agree about the B57 - excellent addition to any Vietnam mod. RAAF version would fit well in the same conflict too. However, wasn't the Spitfire used by USAAF units? And going back a bit further, I think the Nieuport 28 and Spad VII did sterling service for the Cousins in the 1914-1918 (or '17-18 if you're American) Unpleasantness.... Does this mean BIS are going to produce some re-textured Camels, methinks?

Quote[/b] ]As did the Argentinians who used them to attack the parliament building in which Allende was, during Pinochet's coup.

..Er, would that be the Chileans?  They don't like being mistaken for Argentines...  Plenty of ex UK Canberras there, too - including the PR9 alluded to in an earlier post.

D'oooooh!!! sad_o.gif

oops sorry yes what a stupid mistake wow_o.gif I must have been thinking about the B-57 when I typed that...Sorry rock.gif

However, wasn't the Spitfire used by USAAF units?

Yes, they also used Hawker Sea Hurricanes to protect merchant ships too.

dammit i will have to w8 till i see cripler then he can host the pic

Just copy+paste the URL from the properties window into a new browser.

I'll host it for the time being if you want. Just give me a minute.

OK here.

there is a new one now. has decals

http://nolips71.150m.com/hunteringame3.JPG

Sweet! I had to copy and paste the URL for it to work, but it looks very nice. The only thing odd about it is that its lacking little details like antennae, sensor probes, and the cockpit area looks a bit wierd. But I know you're just barely starting work on this model, so I'm sure it'll get much more detailed as you continue working on it. There's lots of great pics on the net of the Hunter so I'm sure that won't be too much of a problem getting it look very realistic.

Here's an inside cockpit pic of the two-seater variant of the hunter:

cockpit.jpg

&

img19ed.jpg

OH WOW!!!!! BINGO! I found this FANTASTIC SITE with tons of great cockpit pics of the single seater version of the Hunter. The pics are taken from several different angles which is great.

The site is at:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/cockpit.html

They also have fantastic cockpit pictures of several different RAF aircraft including the RAF Vulcan at:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/vulcan/cockpit.html

If you haven't seen it already, that should help alot!

Oh by the way, as I was searching for pics of the Hunter's cockpit (the inside) I ran across this AWESOME pic of the NIMROD's cockpit. I thought the outside of the plane looked cool, but the inside looks like something from Star Trek!!!

Check this out:

nimrod-cockpit.jpg

you sir, are a good man. but i think the cocpit will take me forever and be about 10000 polygons if i model every instrument

Hehehe.... LOL! Thx! Nah man, just make a flat instrument panel and paste the instruments on the panel. That is what most addon makers do and I think that usually this looks ok. More important I think is that you get the shape of the outside of the cockpit correct. For example on the front part of the glass you have those supports... I'm not sure what you call them but they are like the frame that the glass attaches to. That is very important so that the cockpit doesn't look like a simple glass bubble. Also getting the pilot to sit at the correct hight in the cockpit is important. But so far you are doing very good work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Oh by the way, as I was searching for pics of the Hunter's cockpit (the inside) I ran across this AWESOME pic of the NIMROD's cockpit.  I thought the outside of the plane looked cool, but the inside looks like something from Star Trek!!!  

Check this out:

nimrod-cockpit.jpg

Fact : Nimrod Mr.4 cockpit= Airbus A330 cockpit smile_o.gif

Really??? Do'h!!! I feel stupid now... I just was looking at the name of the file and figured that it must a Nimrod aircraft. My mistake.... still it looks cool and would look great in a Nimrod if the cockpit pics can't be found. smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Nonono..lol..what I meant is that that picture IS that of a Nimrod Mr.4 cockpit,but that the Nimrod Mr.4 cockpit is basically an Airbus A330 cockpit smile_o.gif

Hold on - they took the airframe from a Comet, and the 'pit

from an Airbus? It's just like a dodgy OFP addon smile_o.gif (present

company excepted, of course)