Sign in to follow this  
PitViper

Super config discussion

Just wanted to move this conversation from the blood thread to this one.

Snypir wrote:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">PitViper - thanks for the info. I will feed that back to the maker of BINView - maybe one day we'll have a tool that works

There are a huge number of effects scripts out there - tail rotor failure, dust, fire, blood - there is no reason why they couldn't all be combined into a single config (even if they are in multiple script packs or addons - it doesn't matter because we'll put it all in a seperate mod directory anyway).<span id='postcolor'>

yep.

Just to expand on the idea, and provide a bit of background information:

Firstly - why make modifications to the configuration files (namely config.bin)?

Because you can make changes that effect all missions and campaigns, without actually having to modify each individually.

This is the most beneficial for 'effects' - tail rotor failure, helicopter dust, blood etc etc and also changes to the actual weapon and vehicle configuration. And obviously PitViper's dynamic range sound pack, which is not possible without config.bin modification.

The problem is that we may see a large number of different 'configs' being produced, which isn't really a problem except that a) it becomes confusing and annoying for people to implement (because there are so many different configs available) and b) it becomes very difficult for large MP servers to allow custom configs because everyone may have a slightly different config.bin file.

The only solution, really, is to create a 'super config' that contains all the modifications, ensuring that everyone on the net keeps up-to-date. This is of course seperate from other 'mods' that are out there - this is essentially a configuration and addon update for OFP: Resistance alone.

This will be created at a central location and then distributed out to the various OFP sites, with care being taken to ensure that everyone carries the same version.

In the first 'super config', I propose the following:

[*]Dynamic range sound pack

[*]Blood

[*]Vektorboson's tail rotor failure script (converted to addon)

[*]Vektorboson's dust script (converted to addon)

These would install into a new folder within your OFP folder, say \Super_Config or something.

You would then load the new config with -mod=Super_Config.

I propose that version control be done through OFPEC - ie we will be the central distributing point (hold the latest version).

In future, other additions may be:

[*]Burning script for dead vehicles

[*]Fishion's tank shock dust script (converted to addon)

[*]New animations (rappelling and I44 anims used with permission)

What else?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Vektorboson's dust script (to be packed into an addon)<span id='postcolor'>

Use Ballistic's dust script... but make the dust more visible. The way it is now you can barely see it.

Now THIS is something I would support, not that silly über addon pack smile.gif

weapons tweaks to improve firefights..

should we add the hidden hand-to-hand "weapons" to the soldiers?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ 17 May 2003,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">weapons tweaks to improve firefights..

should we add the hidden hand-to-hand "weapons" to the soldiers?<span id='postcolor'>

Like strokegun?

I don't think you should change any armor values or accuracy things on the CPP, for multiplayer reasons (on servers which will/might allow this config.bin change)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (blackdog~ @ 17 May 2003,22:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ 17 May 2003,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">weapons tweaks to improve firefights..

should we add the hidden hand-to-hand "weapons" to the soldiers?<span id='postcolor'>

Like strokegun?

I don't think you should change any armor values or accuracy things on the CPP, for multiplayer reasons (on servers which will/might allow this config.bin change)<span id='postcolor'>

it's not meant to be used with default config.bin users in MP.

I remember that BAS, DKM and a couple of other mod teams were supposed to be working on a config file (didn't get a reply to that one...grrrr).

Far, far more useful IMO is a template. "Making Mod? Get config.cpp Template". And it can have easy to add/remove segments, providing customizable effects, like blood, sounds, rotorwash etc.

I think fixing one as a "standard" is not as useful as having a huge modular one that mod teams can easily edit for their own purposes.

Transaction $0.02 complete smile.gif

What about new custom animations?

Has anyone seen the new I44 animation for holding a gun?

Gawd it's beautiful.

If we could provide some sort of change to the standard animations, to make the game more realistic/better, I would be one happy camper.

I'll add that to the list of wanted things:

<ul>

[*] Improved/New animations

And also, what about adding Kegety's hi-res sky textures?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KTottE @ 18 May 2003,02:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about new custom animations?

Has anyone seen the new I44 animation for holding a gun?

Gawd it's beautiful.

If we could provide some sort of change to the standard animations, to make the game more realistic/better, I would be one happy camper.

I'll add that to the list of wanted things:

<ul>

[*] Improved/New animations

And also, what about adding Kegety's hi-res sky textures?<span id='postcolor'>

good idea on the animations. If we could get some animators working for us.. smile.gif

BTW, kegetys hi-sky update is purely a texture swap. Can't do that via configuration change.

Oh, damn on the keg-textures then smile.gif

We could ask I44 if we could utilize their animations.

Is it possible to run OFP with 2 mods? like this ".....exe -mod=Super_Config -mod=hisky" ?

I´d really like to have Fishion´s Tank Shock Dust effects in that super config ... it looks so cool, same for Vektorboson´s Dust Script.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr Burns @ 18 May 2003,12:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it possible to run OFP with 2 mods? like this ".....exe  -mod=Super_Config -mod=hisky" ?<span id='postcolor'>

"-mod=Super_Config,hisky" or "-mod=Super_Config;hisky" should work, not sure which one.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"-mod=Super_Config,hisky" or "-mod=Super_Config;hisky" should work, not sure which one.<span id='postcolor'>

Any idea which config.bin file would be used Kegs?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think fixing one as a "standard" is not as useful as having a huge modular one that mod teams can easily edit for their own purposes.<span id='postcolor'>

Both would be made available, most probaly - a fixed one (encrypted) for the masses, and a template for mod teams.

how about scipting backblasts on the AT weapons? (like tank shock).

also, we could change the loadouts on the default soldiers (more mags).

Finally, do the soldiers and hmg's attack choppers by default? I can't remember.

also, iron sites on the m203.

---------------

BTW, I don't know if we want to go this way or have it be a different project but.. I'd like to try subsituting default soldiers and vehicles in the game for better addons that have been made.

for example,  changing the default west soldier to BAS's improved soldier (in its ranger/delta pack) or the T72 and T80 with Sigma6's versions.  East soldiers could be changed to UCE's improved soldiers. and possibly change the default rpg to rpg-7v?

hmm.. I think that would be a different but as fun project smile.gif

Vikingo has been doing that ever since I gave him the config.

wow.. been going through vikingo's config and he has lots of cool stuff he's added. like smoke from the mounted machine guns and shilka...

I'm behind this one 100%, I was considering doing it a long time ago, but never had the time or energy to do it...

If you need me for this project, you know where to find me wink.gif

(that being deadmeat@concept-5.com, or via PM here)

Should probably add Keg's Editor Upgrade as well.

How about High Dispersion versions of all the weapons? muahhaha

SelectThis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (blackdog~ @ 18 May 2003,04:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now THIS is something I would support, not that silly über addon pack smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes this seems a very good idea indeed.

Btw Blackdog the uber something concept it came from a addon maker (dont remember who actually). What we have been discussing it has noting to do with a huge pbo (in case u didnt understand that yet).

this "project" could get very interresting, oh the things you could change tounge.gif

Indeed... the things we can do... the things we can do...

O.k. now I've got that out of my system, what are we gonna do with this project?

Here's a list:

NOTE: Throughout this list I will try to avoid adding massive extra pbo's, for the time being we are aiming to improve the game by tweaking the cpp, and maybe adding a few small scripts here and there. The one acception to this would be a sound pack, such as dynamic range (an improved version) to make the game sound that much better.

[*] Combine things like Kegety's and Gunslingers Editor Addons into the default .bin

[*] Add, standardise, and re-organise more classes in the editor. E.g. instead of "car", "armored" and "man", have "Wheeled Vehicles", "Infantry", "Tracked Vehicles" (and retain the "man" class for civilians, tho re name it to "Civilians" or something similar) - These entries would be agreed apon by the team making the cpp.

[*] Correct the Dispertion values on all the weapons - so that M16's and AK-47's can't be used as sniper rifles (note the AI)

[*] Maybe adjust the AI a bit (as much as we can in the cpp) so that it will be less accurate - therefore eliminating the 500m+ headshots with AK's

[*] Tweak the standard loadouts (more mags, less grenades etc)

[*] Add custom scripts as standard: Backblast on AT weapons, Rotor downwash, Tail rotor failure, blood, burning script for destroyed units, shock dust etc. Also, the weapon smoke can be adjusted to be more realistic (NOTE Aaron Ash's realism packs)

[*] Improve the sounds, by using the best bits of all the various sound packs available.

[*] Fix the odd missing bits (like the strella launcher pic, and sights on weapons)

[*] Add/replace some animations, like I44's improved weapon holding, rappelling (could be used as standard for all new addons that feature rappelling) etc

[*] Tweak armour, fuel, speed and all other values, so that they are closer to real life (E.g. the helicopters and cars have WAAAAY too much fuel atm)

[*] Tweak weapon damage values

[*] Tweak names of units, so that they are either more descriptive, or easier to tell units apart in the editor.

Anything else I've missed??

hmm.. should i comments each change made from default in the Dynamic Range config.cpp? I was going to finally send out the cpp today but I'm thinking I should probably go ahead with that while I have the chance.

PV - check your PM's wink.gif

Of course it's all great BUT:

1. There should be one config for all to avoid conflicts

2. The problem with new config must be fixed. I'm talking about handgun freeze (When I added Snypir's blood to my config every time when I or AI choses handgun I can't walk)

AND DO NOT FIX ANY WEAPON ACCURACY OR DAMAGE !!! IT WILL RUIN ALL BALANCE. Imaging 2 people one with modified config the other with normal playing together.

Stalker - chill

This new "super config" would only be run as a seperate mod, not with the normal game.

It will be 1 config.bin file, with all of the above items in it. Designed to be used for MP ONLY with other people who have the "super config" so dont worry about ballence issues...

Deadmeat: i really like the idea of this superconfig, it's too bad Kegetys hisky can't be put in it, and your list is great too. But how do you want to ensure that all players in mp use the same config? Afaik there is no way of doing that sad.gif