Sign in to follow this  
colt

Airports / airfields

Given that OFP 2 will have significantly larger maps. It's natural to assume that there will more than 1 airport, possibly more than 2 even. With the current game engine the auto pilot / other a.i. controlled planes only use one airfield (see Nogova).

I hope that the ability to choose which airfield the auto pilot / a.i. planes land at will be implemented.

Airfields could simply be designated  A, B, C, etc.

e.g. Pilot -> action ->

Land at airfield A

Land at airfield B

Land at airfield C

Other ideas:

i) You could give the airfields a designation such as West, East or Resistance ( changeable in mission editior ). A.i. on both sides would then only use their designated airstrips.

ii) Have a specfific building ( radio control tower ) with a trigger so that when a unit enters the building it enables the rest of it's side to use the airfield in question.

I'm sure that it would be of benefit to island makers and mission designers.  smile.gif

Or instead of ABC, How about giving them names.

Ex) Land at Stamford Airport

And without electricity(generator), the runway lights wouldn't work limiting night operations.

Great stuff guys! We could use more realistic airfields with watch towers and runway lights, its very hard to land on the current airfields at night smile.gif .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Heatseeker @ 17 May 2003,11:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Great stuff guys! We could use more realistic airfields with watch towers and runway lights, its very hard to land on the current airfields at night smile.gif .<span id='postcolor'>

I agree it is VERY hard , although I always manage to hit the ground somehow crazy.gif

If the rumors are true and OFP2 has virtually infinite terrain, then we could theoretically create realistic airbases with full support facilities. No more of these backwater strips.

Hmm, as long as you have right bearing and NV goggles, view distance at 2000 it's not too hard to land at night.

Anyway i would say give the runways and airfields names.

Have civvilian ones with a mouse button click you van 'populate' with air traffic frequencies, light aircraft flying around (maybe a tourist company, make an interesting 'a plane has been hijacked' mission maybe) and also a few people. Also have buttons to populate towns with civvies automatically, without us having to put in mind boggling amounts of waypoints etc.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have civvilian ones with a mouse button click you van 'populate' with air traffic frequencies, light aircraft flying around (maybe a tourist company, make an interesting 'a plane has been hijacked' mission maybe) and also a few people. Also have buttons to populate towns with civvies automatically, without us having to put in mind boggling amounts of waypoints etc.

<span id='postcolor'>

Quite.

OFP 2 should indeed have large and more professional airports, I'm all for that smile.gif

also a great thing is to have wind when you fly a plane and that you can see on those tube flags how hard the wind blows or in what direction so it gets realistic flying a plane.

I'm totally talking out of my derriere here, but I just finally got GTA:Vice City for the PC. I'd love to see some kind of module or capability to allow populated maps like you see in GTAVC. The people and/or vehicles could be generated as they come into LOS, and then react to the player's actions. I realize that this is probably super complicated, but I wanted to throw it out there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SlickPilot @ 17 May 2003,04:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And without electricity(generator), the runway lights wouldn't work limiting night operations.<span id='postcolor'>

I'd very much like to see logical dependencies between facilities added to the game.

Things like that add an entirely new set of tactics to game, and increase the already insanely high level of realism. Aircraft or special forces troops would finally have targets to execute surgical strikes against that would seriously impact enemy operations.

Targets would primarily be Generators (buildings and field generators, and dams if BIS is feeling really really nice).

If they improve the physics enough, allowing terraforiming and stuff, you could use bunker buster bombs to disable enemy operations from that airport.

I assume when suggesting improved airports, we want those that have runways and taxiways that cross each other, perpendicularly, etc.

And for those maps created by users, the ability to designate the approach and take-off patterns,etc. All that great flight sim stuff!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ 19 May 2003,18:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">also a great thing is to have wind when you fly a plane and that you can see on those tube flags how hard the wind blows or in what direction so it gets realistic flying a plane.<span id='postcolor'>

You can do it in current OFP. Just define that object as a flag.

would be indeed fun to be able to park the planes and helicopter somewhere than on the grass or runway....unless the airfield itshelf made of grass

if BIS implent aircraft carrier, I think it would be good also to have the posibility to land on them....wonder how they gonna do it if they do confused.gif as well for the take off of planes

lol...he means a wind sock...he wants to be able to tell which way the wind is blowing so he knows which way to land and what not...I saw this and had to clear it up for the non-pilot types...

yeah, one of the main things i dislike about flying in OFP is the lack of proper airbases. we want those bases with the crossing runways, and the taxiways, and hardened shelters, and revetments and all them things (look at the us army field manual, i think it's 5-430, it's about how they build airfields, that's what i want). oh and i know it's probably asking for way too much, cos our pcs will not handle it, but it'd be nice to see civvy airports with peeps getting on and off planes, doing flying lessons, the ground crew (possibly not the right phrase, but those peeps who do all the fueling and baggage handling) driving around in their little airport vehicles. or militay airfields with armourers loading up your plane before you go out on a sortie, atc vectoring you to provide cas for a beleagured company fifty miles away. and things like fire tenders and ambulances rushing out to help crash-landing planes. yeah it's a pipe-dream, amost getting into falcon 4.0/lo:mac sorta thing, but i can dream, can't i?

What would be nice would be to have various A/P modes like wing leveler, altitude hold, attitude hold, terrain follwing so that one could concentrate more on finding and engaging targets smile_o.gif

Of course flying NOE manually is a joy, but sometimes in certain situations you just wish you could concentrate more on the task at hand smile_o.gif

What would be nice would be to have various A/P modes like wing leveler, altitude hold, attitude hold, terrain follwing so that one could concentrate more on finding and engaging targets  smile_o.gif

Of course flying NOE manually is a joy, but sometimes in certain situations you just wish you could concentrate more on the task at hand  smile_o.gif

yeah, and while we're at it, in flight refuelling smile_o.gif and various radar modes smile_o.gif and all those other fancy plane things. admittedly now we're geting into flight sim mode, but it'd be nice

What would be nice would be to have various A/P modes like wing leveler, altitude hold, attitude hold, terrain follwing so that one could concentrate more on finding and engaging targets  smile_o.gif

Of course flying NOE manually is a joy, but sometimes in certain situations you just wish you could concentrate more on the task at hand  smile_o.gif

yeah, and while we're at it, in flight refuelling smile_o.gif and various radar modes smile_o.gif and all those other fancy plane things. admittedly now we're geting into flight sim mode, but it'd be nice

No that would be too much smile_o.gif

We have to be realistic; as much as flight simmers like myself would love to have all these standard flight sim features implemented, we also gotta remember that OFP isn't a flight sim, nor a tank sim nor a shooter, it's basically a toned down version of all of these and that's where the majority of the appeal for it comes from imho.

Hmm? rock.gif

Changing difficulty settings doesn't change the realism or the accuracy of the simulation.You are still able to use a tank single handedly, you are still able to fly an Apache single handedly, grenades still explode on impact...These are defaults...

Yes but what did you mean by

Quote[/b] ]Easy mode + veteran mode smile_o.gif
?