Sign in to follow this  
OxPecker

Ofp2 set in vietnam

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 17 2003,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 17 2003,22:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hm ...... why not vietnam ..... but they'll have to make something great , because nam is getting overdone in video games these days<span id='postcolor'>

Personally I would've like to have seen them do Korea.<span id='postcolor'>

yeah , and personnaly , i would have liked something more recent , balkans for exemple

ok i havent read the last 2 pages but here are my thoughts.

i dont see any referance to the real cold war at all in ofp to be honest, for a start there wsant really any fighting between the USA and Russia themsleves during the cold war(apart from spies). which is rather a clever move by BIS, without specifying a single type of conflict, they left room for more types of mods than if they had created a game in the vietnam conflict.

Id prefur to see a fictional conflict so it leaves more room for imeadiate expansion. I see sense in creating a game based on a real conflict but then it could come under critism from people feeling discriminated and inacuracies in events or situations could be seen as also hinder peoples opinions about the game. a fictional story solves many problems but also creates them for people hoping for a real conflict based game. But if they wish to recreate their conflict sure they can go ahead, but it complicated things a bit if the entire game is based mainly on a singular conflict. variety is sure to attract more people.

if BIS keep playing it cool and clever, they will keep the engine relitivly the same in the way it treats addons, mods and maps etc. so we can use the same tools to modify and manipulate ofp to create the effects we want. If they do im sure they could include the utilities with the game too. Online games sell more than single player only games, Games that can be modified easily sell more than games that cant, thats a fact (apart from a few anomalies).

I think BIS wont change the way the game works much for the worse, they can only make modding easier, because they KNOW modding is a big part of ofp and helped sell copies. Another thing i think they need to do next time round is help people who don't know much about modding learn how to modify ofp(2). Not so people release small poor addons, but to encourage the creation of larger quality addons.

the release of ofp2 would also give BIS the chance to implement a way to organise addons more effectivly than trying to do it near ofp's ascendant being released. Maybe making a custom editing utility to enforce the "tagging" of addons. this could be further protected by using some kind of authorization key to protect the "tag" but i dont see that as particularly nessecary.

ofp is a great game, ive been playing it for a long time (well, not compared to some other people biggrin.gif ) and i havent stopped since i opened the cd drive to put the cd in smile.gif my resistance cd rarley leaves my drive and it has no scratches on it because i would die if it didnt work anymore.

I only see great things for ofp2, im sure they will impliment easy ways to do things we have been trying to do with ofp for a long time, particularly things like CoC (Code of Conduct) have been trying to do.

They are my views, some information may be incorrect but such is life.

Well done BIS, i hope to see greater things in the future.

-ZiRo

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 17 2003,22:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hm ...... why not vietnam ..... but they'll have to make something great , because nam is getting overdone in video games these days<span id='postcolor'>

That'd be cool. What I want to see most is them open the game up to modders immediately so we can see all sorts of different projects like the Balkans and whatnot that BIS wouldn't normally cover.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ April 17 2003,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope its some other war that the U.S. has fought in like the Bay of Pigs invasion which took place in Panama.<span id='postcolor'>

I've been living a lie sad.gif.

Hi all !!

I REALLY hope Operation Flashpoint 2 WILL DON'T be about Vietnam. I don't like that idea at all! Nice for an expansion or MOD for OF but not for be the sequel. Vietnam is not an original idea like a Cold War game was.

I fall in love with Flashpoint since the first pics and videos of 1998/99 and these unofficial news about a sequel in Vietnam put me sad. I think if the game is placed there the quantity of units will be really short. Charlie didn't have many hi tech weapons/vehicles for put in the game. Sure with the great engine OF2 will have the thing will be much different to any other game out there but I think is sad use all that power for a Nam game and not for use it in a fictional (or not) modern war simulation (ex: balkans) with many new vehicles and the ones inside OF but with many more details and better simulation (ex: machine gunner in tanks). Really I will miss the Red Army and the big quantity of units for each side and all the possibilities and fun that such thing give to us.  Maybe is to early for write all this but I just want to express the things I'm feeling right now after these news. I love OF "1" since the first pics I saw (I thought on that times that "this thing will be BIG" and now all we know how big the things are) now I'm sure I will be sad after I read  "OF2 will be set in Vietnam" when the official words finally came out at E3... mmm.... I start to feel that people will make an OF (1) MOD for OF2 with all the great units OF has right now. Maybe is to early for this but I hope to see Vietnam only in Chuck Norris films and not for our beauty and dreamed game of all times FLASHPOINT.

Vikingo

Joining the Anti-Vietnam Group

ps: oh! well... I can't do nothing to change this so... BIS please give me the best and more beatiful (and full of details) M113 model in the history of video games :-)

Voted NO and and agreed with Vinkingo !

I don't like to see a Vietnam theme in OFP 2 !!

Ficitional Islands with MODERN weapons and Vehicles should be better !

How many weapons did the Russians have in CWC?

2 tanks

2 helis

1 apc

a car

a truck

I think all of you "protesteth too much".

Also I do NOT think MP games outsell SP games, they help but their sales pale in comparison. The biggest MP game, Half-Life, still has the VAST majority of its players having never played MP. Does anyone know the sales figueres for BF1942?

Ben

hmmm... hard one this...

now, i love the idea of nam, because if BIS do this well, then it will be amazing - great, in depth forests, amazing combat experience which we all know and love...

the problem is its set at a known era, a know warefare, a war wherre battle commenced... and real world locations... hmmm, dunno

with the cold war, any scenario was possible - there was no temptation to follow suit, to follow the actual war... now, i wonder...

but if bis deliver everything they promise, then, hey, there are always the mods... i'll buy it...

and one last point, do any of you honestly think this poll will have any affect on their decisions? they havnt picked it out of a hat, this is the result of a lot of decisions etc... just live with it... i will have to tounge.gif

I am very unhappy that BIS has decided to do something involving Vietnam.

Not only would it be pretty dumb, I mean It isn't like you will actually win the game, afterall America DID lose the war, and you can't change that. But what ever they do with OFP2, they better make it the best damn Vietnam computer game ever!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vikingo @ April 17 2003,23:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I fall in love with Flashpoint since the first pics and videos of 1998/99<span id='postcolor'>

funny... the first pics were in 1997 - the ones i saw were in my magazine, with the abrams we know and love, but with an M2 on the turret... and M16's with scopes etc

they can have it in my shower with Mildew v Soap for all i care, i am still getting it tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ April 17 2003,17:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Alright, while I regret this would not include the newest weaponry, Vietnam is THE place if you want combat atmosphere, adrenaline rushes and the feeling of bugs eating away at you...  MAN would it not be nice if they added the poisonous snakes and all. 127.jpg

ha, check this out

Virtual Reality<span id='postcolor'>

Snakes have never bothered me, when I was in elementary school I had an old aquarium filled w/ sand and had snakes, turtles, or lizards constantly in it untill they would die or I turned them loose because I was only alowed one animal in it at a time. I had one of those horned toads before I knew they were on the indangered list and it was illegal for me to have it. wink.gif

But as for vietnam, I kind of like the idea. BIS has never had a bad story for any of their campaigns, I doubt they would ruin it now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 17 2003,22:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sanctuary @ April 17 2003,22:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 17 2003,22:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ April 17 2003,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope its some other war that the U.S. has fought in like the Bay of Pigs invasion which took place in Panama.<span id='postcolor'>

i must be dreaming .....<span id='postcolor'>

You dont understand Ran , the thread deal about fictional events opposed to real events , so there can be a Bay of Pigs in Panama LOL<span id='postcolor'>

]</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ April 17 2003,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope its some other war that the U.S. has fought in like the Bay of Pigs invasion which took place in Panama.<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

Ran,

Do not tell me you didnt know that the US troops (and not some Cuban armed by the CIA)  really tried to invade Cuba by trying to surrender to the Liechtenstein army in the Bay of Pig (the one that can be found in Panama of course ?

He he wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sanctuary @ April 18 2003,01:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 17 2003,22:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sanctuary @ April 17 2003,22:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 17 2003,22:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ April 17 2003,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope its some other war that the U.S. has fought in like the Bay of Pigs invasion which took place in Panama.<span id='postcolor'>

i must be dreaming .....<span id='postcolor'>

You dont understand Ran , the thread deal about fictional events opposed to real events , so there can be a Bay of Pigs in Panama LOL<span id='postcolor'>

]</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ April 17 2003,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope its some other war that the U.S. has fought in like the Bay of Pigs invasion which took place in Panama.<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

Ran,

Do not tell me you didnt know that the US troops (and not some Cuban armed by the CIA)  really tried to invade Cuba by trying to surrender to the Liechtenstein army in the Bay of Pig (the one that can be found in Panama of course ?

He he wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yeah , they wanted to do that to make the evil Queen elizabeth's empire in groenland to fall and to free the pinguins from the communist oppression tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">funny... the first pics were in 1997 - the ones i saw were in my magazine, with the abrams we know and love, but with an M2 on the turret... and M16's with scopes etc <span id='postcolor'>

Glad to salute other OF Veteran. Check the videos I have over

here... Sure you have them. One is from 1998, maybe you miss that one. There you can see the old weapons and units. Vik.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ April 17 2003,18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am very unhappy that BIS has decided to do something involving Vietnam.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not 100% sure they already decided... just because there is a Vietnam cover doesn't mean it couldn't possibly change in the next few weeks. Depends.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ April 17 2003,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ April 17 2003,18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am very unhappy that BIS has decided to do something involving Vietnam.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not 100% sure they already decided... just because there is a Vietnam cover doesn't mean it couldn't possibly change in the next few weeks.  Depends.<span id='postcolor'>

good point, the cover is really just "vietnam looking" we are all just guessing its nam. did anyone stop to think about central america? maybe Contras and Sandinistas?

Well I think the picture really is from Vietnam, but still, it may just be pointing towards an era of warfare, how can we be sure...

I hope Maruk and Suma just remember to keep the same feeling of "art" as when working on OFP1. I know for sure that if the developers lose enthusiasm, the product will be worse.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ April 18 2003,01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I think the picture really is from Vietnam, but still, it may just be pointing towards an era of warfare, how can we be sure...

I hope Maruk and Suma just remember to keep the same feeling of "art" as when working on OFP1.  I know for sure that if the developers lose enthusiasm, the product will be worse.<span id='postcolor'>

prescisely... Could be in Cambodia, or Leyon....

Well, if it's Vietnam, there is going to be Armoured Cavalry.

The ACav had those awesome M113s with a .50 and two M60!

i would like to see a new modern fiction war for ofp2. smile.gif

i want that vbs harrier!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr crazy.gif

Okay i don't really mind the era, but i think the missions need to be bulked out with real infantry missions, like checkpoint duty.

Let's say you have the training seperate, i hate doing it every time i restart the campaign! And then the first missions are establishing OPs, doing guard duty, going on patrol and also we could have a hearts and minds campaign - addaction "Give kid chocolate"

BIS did some of these really well before, i liked the Patrol mission in the woods because it was realistic, you get lot's of small sporadic contacts at the start of a conflict.

Also maybe doing some peacekeeping (not that the US does any of that) could be interesting, stop cars, check IDs, look out for suspected naughty people etc.

I would, as a helicopter pilot, like to a realistic helicopter physics option and, after playing IL2 FB, some nice crashes where pilots survive without ejecting. And you can't eject from a helicopter so i always try to autorotate which also needs better modelling.

Could the AI have integrated surrendering, like fleeing which you could turn off in editor ("disableAIsurrender"), because i find it annoying when i'm in a huge tank next to a ruskie soldier who just lies on the ground, oblivious of my presence until i blow him up, give the AI a better sense of self preservation. Also, like probability, the chance of soldiers fleeing and surrendering or dancing can be increased or decreased appropriate to their level of training and commitment etc..