Sign in to follow this  

Its time for a real a-10!

I have read about the desire for a reworked A10 before (cpp only), and I figured i'd resurrect the idea...

Right now the BIS' A10 is poor for these reasons:

1:  The gun is almost useless, needs higher muzzle vel and ROF...

2:  The mavericks are too accurate and quick locking (for mp purposes)

Allow me to elaborate...

The gun...

a10_cannon_side.jpg

This bad boy needs a much higher ROF, and muzzle velocity so it can really chew up the soviet armor... (the rof and muzzle energy is so high that pilots need to watch that they dont stall the plane when firing! )  It would also be nice (although maybe out of the range of CPP editing) to have the gun angled SLIGHTLY downward, as it makes strafing runs easier...

Secondly, the mavericks need to cool off...  This is strictly a playability issue, but the minimum range that a mav can be fired effectively should be increased, as well as the turning radius (Too many "over the shoulder" kills).  I feel that in MP, as long as an A10 is patrolling the skies, getting into a tank and showing up on the radar leads to being blown away in a matter of seconds (too long to find cover). In addition, the Shilkas are almost powerless to stop an A10 carrying a few mavs.  I've found that other planes (like the f14 and F4) have missile that need a wider berth to be effective and cant be fired at targets sitting at 10 o'clock...

I dont  know enough about the inner working of a cpp, but I'm sure that the seasoned vets out here could do this in a moment...

P.S. I still think the model is great

There was a reworked 'A10 Real' addon made ages and ages ago, it included a realistic ROF and a white bomber variant that dropped Snakeyes (This is around the time of Upgrade 1, when the A10 LGB wasn't around yet).

I remember that addon, it was great back in those days. You might still be able to find it on ofp.info

Hmm i'm unable find that file ...

Small issues really compared to the fact that its under powered and uses that nightmare speed up speed down method of flying. What it could do with is incremented thrust control like in other flight sims. This would make things much better. Also is there anyway you could fix it so that you could target armour with the yellow box around them even in gun mode. That would make it more realistic also. Additions like these are hard to do and will take up someone's valuable time but would vastly improve this slightly overlooked area of the game.

The gun of the a10 in OFP is too weak. in reality, this gun fires bullets in the size of little milkbottles. And the a10 has additionally to the mavericks, which precision in OFP is realistic, some Sidewinders smile.gif

There's an A10realistic.pbo file that's bundled in "The Addon Collection", by Armourdave & Kegetys. Is that what you're referring to?

From the readme:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A10 Realistic | West A10 with Air 2 Air missiles and more realistic weapons/armour<span id='postcolor'>

You can download the Addon Collection from Kegetys' addons page.

Shar and me were planning to make a realistic A10 back in september 2002 because back then it looked like p3dedit was gonna be released, but that never happend so we kinda dropped it.. sad.gif

Guest DKM-jaguar

i like the idea of a more realistic A10. i do love the BIS model though **ass kissing BIS ** tounge.gif

I think that as addon makers (like BAS and DKM) push the envelope of what addons are capable of, its a good idea to revisit the original 1.3 addons...

After all, these planes and helis are the ones BIS thought most suitable for inclusion in the game from the beggining...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rufusmac @ April 21 2003,02:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(...)

This bad boy needs a much higher ROF, and muzzle velocity so it can really chew up the soviet armor... (the rof and muzzle energy is so high that pilots need to watch that they dont stall the plane when firing! )

(...)<span id='postcolor'>

Although very well possible, I think the high rate of fire would not be very usefull. The very high rate of fire would hog the CPU and cause lag in MP games.

It could be balanced simply by making the projectiles more deadly.

Making the plane slow down while firing shouldn't be too hard, and would be rather cool. smile.gif

I used to solidly reside in the "A10 Cannon is Gimpy" camp. Every since the beginning I wondered what the hell was wrong with the A10 in OFP and why they made it so whimpy in that respect. Lately, with my pilot skills be tested though, I have come to a new decission about the current (1.90 for me) A10.

The cannon is sufficiently powerful. Yes, that's right...a once staunch supporter of making the A10 far better at chewing through armor has come around as of late. And I'll tell you why....

I started practicing!

Shocking, I know. It took me a solid week of a couple hours of flight time per day but at this point I would say that the I with a little bit of thought to my attack vector and angle, I can chew a T80 and spit it out in one single pass 80% of the time on a fixed target. All it requires is an accurate 2-3 second burst from the gun. Here's the trick...

Start out small. Go into the mission editor and put BMPs on the ground and practicing starting your attack dives (obviously a dive is necessary) from about 800m altitude. The important thing, and the thing that takes practice, is judging your speed and distance from the target. I have my figures all worked out but I'm not giving them out for competitive reasons of course. Hehe. Needless to say, I find that the slower the better because OFP's shakey-ass flight dynamics makes corrections with the rudder IMPOSSIBLE above a speed of 200. Oh, another trick to practicing is to turn up your view distance to 1400 which makes a huge difference because radar isn't accurate enough for firing the cannon at unseen tanks. Work your way up from BMPs. If you guys think that I'm totally BSing you guys I'll get off my lazy ass and record a video of me doing it. Did I mention I fly with keyboard and mouse? My technique is not easy and I often find myself using 3 fingers on the keyboard hand and 2 on the mouse.

I think what the A10 really needs is to be more maneuverable. The thing has no power half the time and I've seen A10 videos of them powering away from targets and pulling sick rolls and turns that just aren't possible in OFP. At times it seems that the A10 is falling out of the sky but it is far improved from the early days when it was basically unflyable. I think a lot of you just want to fly around and not practice. it's not an easy task to learn but I urge you guys to try it out for a week.

I agree about the Maverick issues. They're way too easy to use. You can tab-lock through a half dozen targets in one pass and kill EVERYTHING in your path. Surely they aren't that fast acquiring/firing in real life.

Oh and yeah, shilkas are crappy against A10s. In multiplayer a human-manned shilka has ZERO chance of hitting the target. AI seem to be 1000% better in shilkas, but even a full skill shilka can be defeated by simply flying higher than 1000 and using mavs. And just in case you guys want to complain about not being able to use the cannon to engage targets when under heavy ground fire... that's right actually. They don't use the gun unless their's little chance of AA or AAA fire. Duh!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (drewb99 @ April 21 2003,03:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There was a reworked 'A10 Real' addon made ages and ages ago, it included a realistic ROF and a white bomber variant that dropped Snakeyes (This is around the time of Upgrade 1, when the A10 LGB wasn't around yet).<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, i have that addon, i got it in a big pack with lots of other cool addons, it was like a collection, it had addons such as numerus shotguns (Using grenade launcher models), a better M16 with Grenade launcher, Javlin rocket/missile system, T90.

Also 'Real shilka', and 'real vulcan'. And a nice Cessna Resistance with a machine gun and bombs.

I cant remember who made the whole pack, its sombody who is well known among the community, erm!

The A-10 needs to be given different values, more a-10s have to be introduced to incoporate weapons such as cluster bombs, ive seen some a-10s with rocket pods.

A knew colour scheme would also look good since we are changing so much of the plane

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The cannon is sufficiently powerful. Yes, that's right...a once staunch supporter of making the A10 far better at chewing through armor has come around as of late. And I'll tell you why....

I started practicing!

Shocking, I know. It took me a solid week of a couple hours of flight time per day but at this point I would say that the I with a little bit of thought to my attack vector and angle, I can chew a T80 and spit it out in one single pass 80% of the time on a fixed target. All it requires is an accurate 2-3 second burst from the gun. Here's the trick...<span id='postcolor'>

But I'm talking about game balance...  If you managed to be this good with the A10, you must be friggin incredible with the FA/18 or Tornado...  Those planes can lock onto their targets and have an extremely high ROF...  The point I really want to stress is that the A10s cannon should be more poweful relative to the other planes in OFP.  At this point, the A10 is not the real "tank buster" it is meant to be...

And the A10 cannon's power was increased in 1.90, but it still cant lock onto targets...  this is also a major disadvantage...  When you can lock on, you can start your strafing run from a realistic distance...  I dont think that A10s in real life start firing when they are only 1000m from their target (.50s on the tanks they are meant to kill can engage from that range)...

Anyways, can someone at tell me where in the CPP I can go to increase ROF and maybe add a targeting box (for my own purposes at this point)?

Ah, yes relative to the other add-on planes you are correct. I didn't quite understand that you were coming from that angle. Then again, no one uses those planes in multiplayer missions on the popular servers so I haven't really tried them. It would indeed suck if the hornet and tornado turned out to be better at bustin' tanks than the A10. That's just silliness! God I hate not being able to lock on a target with the A10 cannon. And engaging from a distance of 1000m is indeed crappy. However I think a big issue there is because OFP runs at 600m visibility so you're engaging from even closer. Sadly, a year or three from now when systems get powerful and everyone has the horsepower we'll finally be able to all turn up the view distance to 3000m and be happy.

On a side note. It would be really nice to see someone do a proper LGB A10 loadout. I'm tired of looking at those goofy incorrect bombs on there. Heh!

I gotta tell ya, even 1800m view distance is pretty awesome. Especially when you're sitting on the ground next to a battery of AAA or SAMs that start firing at incoming jets at 4:30am with all the pretty red sky. Mmmmmm.

How does this sound?

A-10 Warthog DELUXE!!!

Improved/reworked 3d-model, custom animations, opening cockpits Å• la Hudson, custom gear animations, HUD, stall/incoming missile warning sounds.

GAU-8 made significally realistic: fires 2sec 100-round bursts (the real thing has a burst limiter as not to stall the aircraft while strafing), smoking cannon, ear-RRRRrrripping cannon sounds. Powerful enough to take out an abrams with a single burst, dispersion 10/2000.

Aircraft survivability equipment similar to that of BAS MH-47 (flares, ECM)

Seriously up-armouder! requires several hits from a stinger. Pilot can't be shot from outside.

Stores configurations:

All versions will have 2 AIM-9M sidewinders on the outmost port station for self-defence(not detachable, will be visible even after firing(l/r_strela)) ECM pod on the outmost starbord station, and 1200 rounds of 30mm ammo (12 shots)

Anti-tank:

10 AGM-56 Mavericks (reworked model),

CAS:

10 MK-20 Rockeye cluster bombs, 38FFARs

LGB

X GBU-12 Paveway laser-guided bombs

Now all we need is some GOOD addon makers to make it... I've been concidering the possibilities of making it myself too, but my skills are limited.

All of that would indeed be a beautiful thing. Then for multiplayer all we would need is someone to do many of the same things to the SU25 and the major servers might actually consider using the two of them as replacements in multiplayer. It's a real shame when add-ons aren't used in adversarial multiplayer because there's no russian balanced item.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A-10 Warthog DELUXE!!!

Improved/reworked 3d-model, custom animations, opening cockpits Å• la Hudson, custom gear animations, HUD, stall/incoming missile warning sounds.

GAU-8 made significally realistic: fires 2sec 100-round bursts (the real thing has a burst limiter as not to stall the aircraft while strafing), smoking cannon, ear-RRRRrrripping cannon sounds. Powerful enough to take out an abrams with a single burst, dispersion 10/2000.

Aircraft survivability equipment similar to that of BAS MH-47 (flares, ECM)

Seriously up-armouder! requires several hits from a stinger. Pilot can't be shot from outside.

Stores configurations:

All versions will have 2 AIM-9M sidewinders on the outmost port station for self-defence(not detachable, will be visible even after firing(l/r_strela)) ECM pod on the outmost starbord station, and 1200 rounds of 30mm ammo (12 shots)

Anti-tank:

10 AGM-56 Mavericks (reworked model),

CAS:

10 MK-20 Rockeye cluster bombs, 38FFARs

LGB

X GBU-12 Paveway laser-guided bombs

<span id='postcolor'>

Well all of this will be good but anyone willing to make it confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (coporal_punishment @ April 23 2003,13:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The A-10 needs to be given different values, more a-10s have to be introduced to incoporate weapons such as cluster bombs, ive seen some a-10s with rocket pods.

A knew colour scheme would also look good since we are changing so much of the plane<span id='postcolor'>

The only colur scheme used now is the light grey one.Green was replaced quite a while ago. sad.gif  No more pretty desert or jungle or winter schemes...just that damned GREY that everyone uses now   crazy.gifsad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wonder @ April 23 2003,23:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Stores configurations:

All versions will have 2 AIM-9M sidewinders on the outmost port station for self-defence(not detachable, will be visible even after firing(l/r_strela)) ECM pod on the outmost starbord station, and 1200 rounds of 30mm ammo (12 shots)<span id='postcolor'>

About the rockets.. they can be made detachable.. smile.gif

Read in the tut section (god knows where it is now) about the tut Colonel Klink made about the Hawk launcher..