Sign in to follow this  
Badgerboy

Your favourite military marching music

Although I have an affinity for 'Rule Brittania', I quite like the 'Royal Air Force Marchpast'. (Jaunty little number)

As for my favourite..... well it has to be the Soviet National Anthem. Those Reds certainly can write a inspiring song!

(Provide links if possible. No I don't have any sad.gif )

"Le Boudin" smile.gif my all time favourite

sorry, i have to agrree, the soviet national anthem is cool. deeer derdyderrduurrrr derrr derdy derrrderrr ddddddeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr whooo!

God im a loser wink.gif

the_unknown_one

Regarding the Soviet Anthem - It's now the Russian anthem. Reworded of course, but the same music (as of 2000). After the collapse of the USSR , Yeltsin pushed an old 19th century anthem, but apparently it was so bad that Russian athletes at the Sydney Olympics complained to Putin. So it was changed. I'd probably have to go with that one too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ April 08 2003,18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Regarding the Soviet Anthem - It's now the Russian anthem. Reworded of course, but the same music (as of 2000). After the collapse of the USSR , Yeltsin pushed an old 19th century anthem, but apparently it was so bad that Russian athletes at the Sydney Olympics complained to Putin. So it was changed. I'd probably have to go with that one too.<span id='postcolor'>

Wasn't there as bit of bother when Putin brought that back in? People were worried that they were going to thaw out Lenin, and build an animatronic Stalin next.

I positively hate miltar marches smile.gif

As for national anthems (not counting the Swedish, because of obvious bias)

1) Russian

2) German

3) British

4) French

Rule Britannia is also quite good smile.gif

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/marcwitteveen/images/MUBOUDI1.wav

i simply love that march smile.gif

tiens voilŕ du boudin , voilŕ du boudin .... pour les suisses les alsaciens et les lorrains , pour les belges y'en a plus pour les belges y'en a plus car ce sont des tireurs au cul , tireurs au cul tounge.gif

ahhh the joices of teaching the correct pronounciation of the legion anthem's lyrics to a cambodian or vietnamese volunteer tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 08 2003,19:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can someone name this for me?

I rather like it.....<span id='postcolor'>

that's the sovietic navy anthem i think , i don't knw the exact title

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ April 08 2003,18:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Panzer March Germans.

Soviet Navy Hymn

Red Army Anthem.<span id='postcolor'>

Achtung Baby!

Here's DracoPaladore's request

Panzer Marsch

Panzer Corp anthem I take it?

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 08 2003,19wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can someone name this for me?

Actually it's the title song from "The Hunt for Red October", written by Basil Poledouris. I have the soundtrack on CD smile.gif.

My personal favorites are "Proschanje Slavjanki" and "Scotland the Brave" (I'll try to look up the links). The Soviet/Russian anthem, while excellent, isn't really marching music.

Edit: Proschanje Slavjanki (it means "farewell of a slavic woman")

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 07 2003,20:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.angelfire.com/fl/marcwitteveen/images/MUBOUDI1.wav

tiens voilŕ du boudin , voilŕ du boudin .... pour les suisses les alsaciens et les lorrains , pour les belges y'en a plus pour les belges y'en a plus car ce sont des tireurs au cul , tireurs au cul tounge.gif

ahhh the joices of teaching the correct pronounciation of the legion anthem's lyrics to a cambodian or vietnamese volunteer tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Les belges, ils sont vraiment les mieux!

Vive la belgique!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ April 08 2003,19:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 08 2003,19wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can someone name this for me?

Actually it's the title song from "The Hunt for Red October", written by Basil Poledouris. I have the soundtrack on CD smile.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

I think he also made the score for conan the barbarian.

Its quite inspiring singing along to Finlands "March of the Jaegers"

Quite dark verses/lyrics in places, but its fun to sing along to finnish music  biggrin.gif

Here is the first part of the song translated to english:

Deep is our blow, our hate is invincible,

We do not have the mercy, nor the homeland.

Our luck is at the tip of our sword,

We do not feel the mercyness.

Our cry of war will be given for the country,

Which is cutting its chains.

Our defiance will not be passed,

Before the people of Finland shall be free.

Our defiance will not be passed,

Before the people of Finland shall be free.

composed in 1917 - March of the Jaegers/Jaeger March

Best one ever....  Those guards in Wizard of Oz...   ooooo eeeeee  ooo....

Anyone remember/seen the movie Cadence?  

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 08 2003,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 07 2003,20wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.angelfire.com/fl/marcwitteveen/images/MUBOUDI1.wav

ahhh the joices of teaching the correct pronounciation of the legion anthem's lyrics to a cambodian or vietnamese volunteer tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Les belges, ils sont vraiment les mieux!

Vive la belgique!<span id='postcolor'>

i think that the belgians are mentionned in the song because belgians volunteers always stood behind and did the things in last after all the others

wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 08 2003,19wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ April 08 2003,18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Regarding the Soviet Anthem - It's now the Russian anthem. Reworded of course, but the same music (as of 2000). After the collapse of the USSR , Yeltsin pushed an old 19th century anthem, but apparently it was so bad that Russian athletes at the Sydney Olympics complained to Putin. So it was changed. I'd probably have to go with that one too.<span id='postcolor'>

Wasn't there as bit of bother when Putin brought that back in? People were worried that they were going to thaw out Lenin, and build an animatronic Stalin next.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, not to mention when he re-instated the Red Banner as the Army's flag. Not that it made much of a difference as it was just an official gesture - it was still widely used in the army, and "comerade" is still a much used term in the military. Those don't bother me at all, what gets to me is how popular Stalin is amongst a surprizing number of people to this day. I remember a few weeks ago I heard of a poll conducted that asked "are you for the Motherland or for the Motherland and Stalin" (playing off a WW2 slogan "For The Motherland and for Stalin"). A significant percentage of people, uncluding some high level government officials chose the second. I don't have the numbers though. I don't think we're going to see another dictatorship in Russia anytime soon though, things were really bad for a while after the collapse of the USSR, and they're still pretty bad for some people, but overall, the situation seems to be gradually improving.

Ran, any chance you could translate that song? I always wondered what the heck they were singing about smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ April 08 2003,22wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ran, any chance you could translate that song? I always wondered what the heck they were singing about <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hard to translate smile.gif

Chorus :

Tiens , voilŕ du boudin , voilŕ du boudin , voilŕ du boudin

Pour les alsaciens les suisses et les lorrains

Pour les belges y'en a plus , pour les belges y'en a plus

Ce sont des tireurs au cul

translation : Hold on , here comes the boudin (some kind of spiced sausage or a backpackelement ) , here comes the boudin , here comes the boudin ,

For the alsacians , the swiss and the lorrians

For the belgians there isn't anymore , for the belgians there isn't anymore

They are (litterrarily translated) shooters to the butt (and that means they are always the last)

Ring A

Nous sommes des dégourdis

Nous sommes des lascars

Des types pas ordinaires

Nous avons souvent notre Cafard

Nous sommes les légionnaires

T:We're aware

We're bad guys/bad ass (sorry , didn't find any correct translation)

Not ordinary blokes

We've often our spleen

But we are the Legionnaires

I

Au Tonkin , la Légion immortelle

A Tuyen Quang illustra notre drapeau

Héros de Camerone et frÄres modÄles

Dormez en paix dans vos tombeaux

T: In the Tonkin , the immortal Legion

A Tuyen Quang (mention of the 1800's indochina campaigns)honoured our flag

Camerone's heroes and model brothers(mention of the Mexican campaign against the carlist rebels during which the legion first illustred itself in the Camerone farm : pero non son ombres , son demonios , or someting)

Rest in peace in your tombs

Ring B

Nos anciens ont su mourir

Pour la gloire de la légion

Nous saurons bien tous périr selon la tradition

T:Our ancients/predecessors knew how to die

For the glory of the Legion

We will all know how to die following the tradition

II

Au cours de nos campagnes lointaines

Affrontant la fievre et le feu

Oublions avec nos peines

La mort qui nous oublie si peux

Nous la Légion

T:During our campaigns oversea

Fighting fiever and fire

We Forget with our pains

Death who only forgets us a little

Us , the Legion

Chorus :

Tiens , voilŕ du boudin , voilŕ du boudin , voilŕ du boudin

Pour les alsaciens les suisses et les lorrains

Pour les belges y'en a plus , pour les belges y'en a plus

Ce sont des tireurs au cul

translation : Hold on , here comes the boudin (some kind of spiced sausage or a backpack element) , here comes the boudin , here comes the boudin ,

For the alsacians , the swiss and the lorrians

For the belgians there isn't anymore , for the belgians there isn't anymore

They are (litterrarily translated) shooters to the butt (and that means they are always the last)

"Le boudin" is sung that way :

Chorus

I

II

Chorus

you can put the rings you want between the first chorus and I and between I and II

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 08 2003,22:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hold on , here comes the boudin (some kind of spiced sausage or a backpack)<span id='postcolor'>

LOL. French must think everything in terms of food and sex? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">for the belgians there isn't anymore , for the belgians there isn't anymore because they are (litterrarily translated) shooters to the butt (and that means they are always the last)<span id='postcolor'>

yeah, cause they are last to retreat and France is always the first? tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

any US mil songs here?!? c'mon! Marines! You know where Montezuma is located!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ April 08 2003,22:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yeah, cause they are last to retreat and France is always the first?  tounge.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

nah , they were always the last for food and also for the work tasks