Sign in to follow this  
peanuckle_00

The evolution of the mission editor

I think for the most part we as pc gamers have seen the best games to come out in a long time. We've pretty much seen the peak of gaming but thats not to say that it won't come back again. I think right now what gaming companies need to focus on is this new little invention called the mission editor. Out of all the technical ingenious that has been brought about by scientists, its the creative little mission editor that I'm most happy about. It's such a good thing that some people notice but they don't give much attention or focus too. I'm interested in seing soldner: secret wars come out with a better mission editor than flashpoint. If they can do it, that'd be great. Overall I think Ofp2 could use a better one. Let's talk about the mission editor that we have in flashpoint and its oddness. I think one thing that is odd about it is that when you put a waypoint on a house it won't move.

I love the editor, its handy as hell but there are a few niggly things that annoy me with it. One of those things is definately as you say, when you place a waypoint on a house it kind of gets locked there. Other waypoint woes are that vehicles are very fickled with following waypoints. They like to jiggle about, reverse and sometimes go in circles rather following a straight line. There should be an override that jsut makes the vehicle go in a complete straight line, ignorant of any obstacles in the way.

One little thing I hate about the editor is that when you place a unit, sometimes you are not capable of changing the type of unit from the menu, but instead you have to delete the unit and place it all over again to achieve the wanted result. Are there any solutions to this, or is it just a "bug" or something?

cam0flage ive never seen that before :/ The only thing i can put clsoe to that is that once you place a soldier you cant change what side he is on. I am always able to change what unit type he is though.

Tagchen Paladin smile.gif With all of these "I Support war with iraq" and "I dont support war with Iraq" sigs, I thought I would support something far more important biggrin.gif

Are you, cam0flage talking about like if you have a western soldier and want to change it to, say a eastern sniper and that wont work? Well it seems like once you've placed a unit you cant change the unit to another side. I hope you get my point smile.gif

If BIS ever wants to change the mission editor, I think they should also add a height changer. Leave it at default or move him up and down.

You still gotta love it tho, I mean when i first got the game i played the Campaign for about a week and then just started making my own missions for about a month! I only finished the game two weeks ago cause i thought i should. smile.gif

I just love creating your own missions and then seeing if other people like them. The mission editor created a whole after market game culture that makes OFP have some real lasting power. I mean if there was no Mission Editor how many of you would say you'd be on these forums as long as you have been? I'm sure there would still be die-hards but i bet not half as many. With other games you get like 20 missions that's it. With OFP, new user missions are coming out all the time. It was a great idea and hats off to BIS!

I think scripts are too confusing or hard to learn. programmers shouldn't be the only ones that know how to do them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 06 2003,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tagchen Paladin smile.gif With all of these "I Support war with iraq" and "I dont support war with Iraq" sigs, I thought I would support something far more important  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Kingbeast for president!

Moving to General since this is an OFP related discussion smile.gif

My 0.02€: The possibility of scripting is what separates flashpoint from all other games. The editor is just a little front-end to a limited part of a much greater system.