Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

You are right, I am anti-war. Nothing wrong with that. Unless of course, you disagree... ?

As for wanting to publish stories of coalition disasters, yes, I want to know what's really going on out there. There's nothing wrong with having some truth in amongst the lies.

I'm Scottish and I support the UK troops, but Christ what are they dieing for? "Liberation" of Iraq? It seems they don't WANT to be liberated!

Not to go off on a tangent but this thread seems kind of like the war.

The moderators are convinced (or try to be) that people want

to avoid going into politics here,they want to be liberated from politics, just the straight facts.

....but the people arent playing ball,

they keep bringing it up again and again no matter how many posts are deleted.

who knows how it will end? sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (tracy_t @ Mar. 27 2003,21:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You are right, I am anti-war. Nothing wrong with that. Unless of course, you disagree... ?

As for wanting to publish stories of coalition disasters, yes, I want to know what's really going on out there. There's nothing wrong with having some truth in amongst the lies.

I'm Scottish and I support the UK troops, but Christ what are they dieing for? "Liberation" of Iraq? It seems they don't WANT to be liberated!<span id='postcolor'>

War only been going for an week now.Give it some time.Shouldn't be jumping ships in a week that they don't want get liberated.Give it a month.Hopefully they do want to.

I'll tell you how it is going to end: We'll be starting to hand out firggin' post restrictions, that's how it's going to end. crazy.gif

I've deleted about 10 posts the last five minutes. Enough is enough. A debate of political systemes is a POLITICAL discussion and goes into the other thread.

If there is no military connection then it's not supposed to be in this thread.

Please people, I beg you, try to keep this clean. I know it's hard and it's tempting to venture off into politics, but we agreed to have two threads and this ain't the political one.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (tracy_t @ Mar. 27 2003,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If everything's fine then WHY THE HELL are the Americans bringing another heavy division over? Oh let me see, to guard the 8000 POWs (what happened to them?)

All I can say is "thank God for the Internet" - the truth will out sooner rather than later.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually that's not true.  These troops were slated to be there for the beginning of the war but ended up getting put on hold because of Turkey deciding to not allow Coalition troops through.

Their equipment has been on ships in the region for ahwile, but it's just now getting to where they can disembark it and get the troops in.  It will be interesting to see what they do with these troops, use them to drive the remaining Iraqi forces out of the southern cities, or bring them up to help in Baghdad.

EDIT: That's the 4th ID for those of you keeping score.

Do you think saddam is dead/injured ? I'm starting to think so.Wouldn't he pose with the POW's to show them he 's not dead/injured.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Mar. 27 2003,13:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you think saddam is dead/injured ? I'm starting to think so.Wouldn't he pose with the POW's to show them he 's not dead/injured.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think he's dead. He may be injured, but not overly so.

I can't see him posing with the POWs either. IIRC he didn't do it in the last war and there really isn't any reason to.

Last war there wasn't any rumors he was dead or injured was there ? When the war started they was rumor that one iraqi general guy left.But he had to get on tv to say he hasn't.Now why hasn't saddam did the samething ? Don't say those 2 tapes are proof that is alive though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Mar. 27 2003,22:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you think saddam is dead/injured ? I'm starting to think so.Wouldn't he pose with the POW's to show them he 's not dead/injured.<span id='postcolor'>

For the coalition's sake he better not be. The best hope for a quick end to the war is, if Iraq is as centralized as military analyst think it is, killing Saddam and his Seven Clones. Then the Iraqi military might crumble. If he is dead then it's bad news since it shows that the Iraqi forces are capable of organizing themselves without him.

I personally very much doubt that he is dead. I think that his last speech killed off any doubts. He mentioned the fighting in both Umm Qasr and Basra. Also for reasons that I extensivly posted about earlier in this thread, I don't think the Iraqi military would survive one day without Saddam. It's built in that way that everything is dependent on him, so that they can't gang up on him and overthrow him.

"When the war started they was rumor that one iraqi general guy left.But he had to get on tv to say he hasn't.Now why hasn't saddam did the samething ? Don't say those 2 tapes are proof that is alive though."

Because he doesnt want to risk being bombed when making a live broadcast?

It doesnt feel like Saddams dead- for a dead man hes doing a good job rallying the country.

I think the 4th ID will be deployed ASAP to Baghdad region. Theyre gonna need everything theyve got up there. They cant be fannying around in Basra- they might even have to pull some more British units up..who knows.

Its clear that the coalition believes the effective power is centralised...so theyre going straight for the centre.

Here's a good example of false reporting.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

-- clip --

Earlier the Commander of British forces in the Gulf, Air Marshal Brian Burridge, said Iraqi soldiers in Basra were being forced by Saddam's security forces to get into their tanks and attack British forces surrounding the city.

However,  news reports on Wednesday evening that a column of 70 - 120 Iraqi armoured vehicles was heading south out of Basra seem to have been erroneous.

British Defence Minister Geoff Hoon said on Thursday that only three Iraqi tanks had actually been on the move and that these were destroyed by British forces.

-- clip --

<span id='postcolor'>

Source: Sky News

Question: what the heck are those square panel things that seem to be attached all over the US/UK tanks and APC's? They look vaguely like grates, with about four horizontal sections running through them. Are they some kind of sand filters or something? Almost every armoured vehicles has at least one of them randomly stuck on the outside of it. Anyone know? confused.gifsmile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Munger @ Mar. 28 2003,00:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Question: what the heck are those square panel things that seem to be attached all over the US/UK tanks and APC's? They look vaguely like grates, with about four horizontal sections running through them. Are they some kind of sand filters or something? Almost every armoured vehicles has at least one of them randomly stuck on the outside of it. Anyone know?  confused.gif  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Always thought they were tread replacements and/or links....

*shrug*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 27 2003,22:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"When the war started they was rumor that one iraqi general guy left.But he had to get on tv to say he hasn't.Now why hasn't saddam did the samething ? Don't say those 2 tapes are proof that is alive though."

Because he doesnt want to risk being bombed when making a live broadcast?<span id='postcolor'>

"Capt`n, Capt`n, we have a signal!" tounge.gifwink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Munger @ Mar. 27 2003,15:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Question: what the heck are those square panel things that seem to be attached all over the US/UK tanks and APC's? They look vaguely like grates, with about four horizontal sections running through them. Are they some kind of sand filters or something? Almost every armoured vehicles has at least one of them randomly stuck on the outside of it. Anyone know?  confused.gif  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Part of a simple IFF system. When seen through thermal sights they give off a distinctive signature.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IsthatyouJohnWayne @ Mar. 27 2003,12:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bn880- Everyone really respects you for your totally impartial and open approach to media and information analysis. I for one

hang on your every carefully thought out and weighed up word. Its usually just the one or two words but oh what words they are! I can only aspire to the kind of cold automatic detachment and brilliantly incisive and informative one sentence summaries that you so perfectly shape in your

pin sharp mind! Keep up the good work!<span id='postcolor'>

You're a kind little fella. Thank you. wink.gif Keep up the work yourself as well.

Othin has it right, they show up as cold spots on thermal viewers. Lets you tell which tanks to kill and which not to.

The whole "media proganda"/"i got better sources than you" debate doesnt seem too appropriate for this thread that WAS supposed to be strictly military talk.

Anyways, in an attempt to stay on topic, one thing that has grabbed my attention is the uniforms of the U.S. Marines. They are all wearing the desert 3-tone helmets with woodland bdu's. I know that the Marines like to do small things to their uniforms to make them stand out but doesnt it seem like this mix would make them more visible on the battlefield?? Also im not positive what the terrain is like where they are fighting but isnt it mostly desert?

P.S. Sorry if this was already discussed but the stupid search function only gives you the thread not the page number and i wasnt about to search through all 115 pages lol

Actually, the Marines are wearing Desert 3-color cammies, but their MOPP anti-chemical suits are woodland. Also the terrain they are currently fighting in is swampy, vegetated and there are lots of thick palm tree groves. One Marine said it all the other day. When asked about the conditions and the guerrila opposition he was facing, he said, "The Army is fighting in Iraq, the Marines are fighting in Vietnam."

If you ask me, Saddam is dead. He hasn't released a single video lately with reference to something that he wouldn't of known before the first night.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 28 2003,04:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you ask me, Saddam is dead.  He hasn't released a single video lately with reference to something that he wouldn't of known before the first night.<span id='postcolor'>

If Saddam is dead then this war is going to be long and drawn out and nasty on all sides.

Therefore i hope it's not true..but becomes true in a short amount of time smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 28 2003,04:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">He hasn't released a single video lately with reference to something that he wouldn't of known before the first night.<span id='postcolor'>

When will this video be released on the european market?

What will it be called: "Staying alive" ? biggrin.gif

Sorry FSpilot - I just couldn't let it be! hehe

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 28 2003,09:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If Saddam is dead then this war is going to be long and drawn out and nasty on all sides.

Therefore i hope it's not true..but becomes true in a short amount of time smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Even if everyone knew he was dead there would still be fighting. The people of the baath party have been brutalizing the Shiites and the Kurds for years now. You think they'll just forgive and forget? No, the Baath party is either dead by the hands of Americans, or by the hands of Iraqis.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When will this video be released on the european market?

What will it be called: "Staying alive" ? biggrin.gif

Sorry FSpilot - I just couldn't let it be! hehe<span id='postcolor'>

LOL. I can see the flash presentation now.

I found this picture pretty interesting, so I thought I'd post the pic and little summary... (I don't think we get to see too many pictures of the Iraqi soldiers)

2003-03-28T015628Z_01_GALAXY-DC-MDF243377_RTRIDSP_2_PICKS-IRAQ-WAR-DURATION-DC.jpg

Iraqi soldiers ride in a military truck in Baghdad, March 27, 2003. Fiercer than expected Iraqi resistance, blinding sandstorms and the need to protect a long and vulnerable supply line have raised questions about the timing of a battle for Baghdad. President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair, his chief ally in the war to topple Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, have both tempered the optimism with which they launched the conflict, warning of tough times ahead. Photo by Goran Tomasevic/Reuters REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic

Source: www.reuters.com

Complete story Article