Sign in to follow this  
Winters

Which vietnam island is better

Hello all, i am torn between which island to use for a very good SP mission i have made.

I made it on Jungle Everon but i noticed there is no anim file for it and it makes for an ugly ending to my outro.

I know the first Ia Trang Valley map had some issues (bullet proof leaves for the enemy to hide behind to name one)

Please let me know what you guys think of the new Ia Trang Valley map (i have it but have yet to make any missions on it) and what your choice of island would be and i will release it on whichever of the 2 is more popular.

Thanks,

Winters

You mean the anim folder that makes for the animated scene behind the main menu? Jungle Everopn has that. Just make sure it's not in a mod folder as these animations seem to work only from the ofp\addons directory.

Also you have to see that the settings of the two islands are quite different - despite being both tropical. Everon has bigger settlements, wide open spaces, etc. - it's more 'civilized', while IaTrang is just bush with some clearings and a few villages. There's no roads (just footpaths) but for one short road linking the Plei Mei SF base and a nearby firebase.

If you want jungle fights with bad visibility, rivers and the typical LZ, then go with Ia Trang, else Use Everon, as it has definitely less bugs and doesn't affect weaker computers as much as Ia Trang.

Thanks i will check on that Joltan, i was leaning towards the Everon map only because i wont have to do anything else for it. wink.gif

I just hated the outro ending and then seeing it still play behind the main menu.

This is just a "land on the beach and work your way up the hill" fight so it does not matter about towns or jungle though. I just love the way Ia Trang looks, but i forget that my NASA approved super computer sometimes makes me oblivious to the lag issues some people have.

Islands are addons so moving to that forum smile.gif

hmmmm, its starting to look like i got a conversion to do. wink.gif

I think Ia Trang Valley is much better. I simply like the jungle atmosphere with the rivers and everything. But of course, it would be nice to see a city on a Vietnam map. I just watched Full Metal Jacket on tv a couple of days ago. The final part where they are fighting in the city of Hue (?) got me thinking that a South Vietnamese city would be a great addition to a Vietnam map. Maybe a future map could have a bit more fields like Ia Trang's southern coast?

Anyway, I'd go for Ia Trang all the way.

I need some help on this issue. I have SEB's first nam pack and just want to know is the second one better with regards to the island that comes with it? The units on the first are IMHO really,really good but I find that the inconsistencies with Ia Trang with regard to excessive bushes making it hard for the AI to navigate around (even in resistance) along with the bullet proof bushes make it almost unworkable. I do not play it anymore for those two reasons.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chris330 @ Mar. 06 2003,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I need some help on this issue. I have SEB's first nam pack and just want to know is the second one better with regards to the island that comes with it? The units on the first are IMHO really,really good but I find that the inconsistencies with Ia Trang with regard to excessive bushes making it hard for the AI to navigate around (even in resistance) along with the bullet proof bushes make it almost unworkable. I do not play it anymore for those two reasons.<span id='postcolor'>

The version in the nam pack fixes the AI manouvering problem, it also has quite a few changes...

La trang all the way. It's based on a true Vietnamese Island so it is quite good. Whatever they say about system specs, I am abe to play (quite fluid too) small scale raids on my crappy comp (with only 64 mb) and I guess 99% of the people here have a better system than that so that shouldn't be much of a problem. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mr. Duck @ Mar. 06 2003,23:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's based on a true Vietnamese Island so it is quite good.<span id='postcolor'>

Well...its based on the Ia Trang Valley (Scene of the actions portrayed in We Were Soldiers), wasnt an island, but as ofp only allows islands it was made into one

i think someone should combine the two islands. make everyone happy. and hey if it lags ur computer.....then get rid of it cuz its a peice of shit tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Mar. 06 2003,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mr. Duck @ Mar. 06 2003,23:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's based on a true Vietnamese Island so it is quite good.<span id='postcolor'>

Well...its based on the Ia Trang Valley (Scene of the actions portrayed in We Were Soldiers), wasnt an island, but as ofp only allows islands it was made into one<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, forget to say that, it's kinda late here, sorry, ofp's got a bad influence on me biggrin.gif

What about Jungle Malden?? It's like Jungle Everon but bigger and to me (at least) it feels more tropical than Jungle Evereon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Beno @ Mar. 07 2003,08:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about Jungle Malden?? It's like Jungle Everon but bigger and to me (at least) it feels more tropical than Jungle Evereon.<span id='postcolor'>

With all the churches and other default buildings, Jungle Malden seems more like a Latin American/Caribbean kind of tropical though. Probably why I went in and renamed all the towns biggrin.gif

It's a significant blow to the immersion factor when your Marines are engaging the Cubans in the Grenadine village of Long Thang... crazy.gif

For your question, I guess it depends on the forces you are using. If you want wide-open armored engagements, then go with Everon. If you want tense, hellish infantry engagements, go with the Ia Drang.

-5hole

I think it's important to state that both islands were made with great skill and therefore they are both great, but I agree that the Ia Trang Valley 'feels' more like real Vietnam smile.gif

thanks for all the input, after checking the jungle everon zip file i can't believe i never bothered to extract the mission.sqm file crazy.gif

anyway, i have it working now and i think i will leave this mission on jungle everon as it is completed and making a conversion to Ia Trang is gonna be taxing as i have many triggers that are time-co-ordinated and to get all the timing right again on a new island is gonna be rough.

But then again maybe i just do it anyway.

Stay Tuned.....

My favorites are the 2 Nam beta islands I uploaded to a couple sites a while back hoping someone would finish them. A little rough around the edges, but, the RSSZ and Ilo Ilo are my favorites since I started them with Seal ops in mind.

EBUD, you made Jungle Everon how could you not like it? wink.gif

The mekong delta is best, of course!

Now there's a hell of an island... but not too many people have gotten it. Amazing.. I'll go find you all a download link. smile.gif