Sign in to follow this  
The_Replicator

Attack helicopter poll

I voted the Apache.

Why?

Simple. Always loved that aircraft and all its qualitys smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Mar. 01 2003,15:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And its super fun when you quote with this huge picture there again and just write a few words tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Lol sorry, didn't know it was huge as it's just 120x120 on my pc.

Please dont abuse images of my house. For some reason the russian air force keep trying to take my house away from me. confused.gif

I voted Mi-24 because like someone mentioned it can often survive 3 AAs + it has bulletproof class so it cant be shot down by a machinegunner wink.gif

ummm in game I have actually managed to bring down an MI-24 hind by shooting the glass and killing the pilot.

You probably hit the engine or something. Bullets don't go through the cockpit glass.

BTW.. I like the fangs on your house. wink.gif Some racing stripes would make it lookmpretty swate. biggrin.gif

I've learnt my lesson about modifying my house! one time we tried putting a fire in the living room....... oh dear. We had to have our house completely rebuilt after the horrific accident.

It's ridiculous that M16 bullets can go through chopper cockpit glass.

In reallife the cockpit glass is able to stand up against insanely large bullets.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You probably hit the engine or something. Bullets don't go through the cockpit glass.<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately they do sad.gif

I said i shot the pilot!

I love the Hind. The textures on it are fantastic.

The Hind and the AH1 are cool

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Mar. 01 2003,19:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You probably hit the engine or something. Bullets don't go through the cockpit glass.<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately they do  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That shouldn't be possible, consitering the Mi24 doesn't have people proxies in its Fire Geometry LOD

I guess the Mi-24 is like the BRDM and HMMWV. Bullets dont go through the window but after 2 magazines the poor guy inside dies because he is to close to the bullets. The same way you di if you empty 2 magazines in the ground near your feet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Mar. 01 2003,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ummm in game I have actually managed to bring down an MI-24 hind by shooting the glass and killing the pilot.<span id='postcolor'>

That must have been a bug cuz the Hind's cockpit-glass is bulletproof in OFP smile.gif

I know I've been shot out of a cockpit once before. thought it was a hind.. maybe not confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 01 2003,18:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's ridiculous that M16 bullets can go through chopper cockpit glass.

In reallife the cockpit glass is able to stand up against insanely large bullets.<span id='postcolor'>

Weeeellll.... there has been talk of Chechen snipers shooting down Mi-8s, but that may be an urban legend spread by Chechens. I also don't think helicopter cockpits can withstand a 12.7mm/.50 cal round.

Some comparison in OFP

Handling : The AH-64 Far away !

The Mi-24 is a very heavy "thing" when you have to do manoeuvres between trees , lots of unsuspected crashes with russian choppers. But i prefer the AH-1 for this job , a pilot dream wink.gif

Power : The Mi-24 Far away !!

You can destroy all the Us army with the russian choppers in OFP wink.gif , there are a lot more weapon in the Mi-24 than in the AH-64 so you can do more damage to more units.

Resistance : The Mi-24 Far Away

The russian chopper is a real flying tank , it can resist to most of missiles, only Sabot-like shells are really a threat on the one-hit/one-kill category

And every russian pilots are immune to soldiers bullets, in the AH-64 the pilot is totally exposed to a simple M16 bullet in the head.........

Versatility : Mi-24

You can transport troops with Mi-24, the AH-64 have just a tank hunter job , and it does it very bad (the hellfires hit only when you are at a great distance of the target) , the Mi-24 missiles are not very good too in term of accuracy, but their number will help to touch wink.gif

Overall : If you are East pilot, be happy you are aboard the chopper everybody fear in OFP

If you are West pilot, try to steal a Mi-24 wink.gif or fly always very very low between tree where the Mi-24 cant follow you without crash smile.gif

When there are hills and mountain with the AH-64 you can have the advantage to target the Mi-24 first by using a lot the better handling ability of this chopper

But you forgot to mention the MI-24's terrible ingame AT-6 missiles! Those things are simply dreadful! I'd take a Hellfire anyday smile.gif

Talking about endurance, it took me two 73mm SABOT rounds from a BMP to down a Mi-24. Even then, the Heli didn't even explode, it lost power and crashed, if the AI pilot woulda been smart enough, he would have AUTO ROTATED. You can Auto Rotate when you lose power by pressing Z, I think its Z anyways...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Mar. 01 2003,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ummm in game I have actually managed to bring down an MI-24 hind by shooting the glass and killing the pilot.<span id='postcolor'>

you can bring them down with a tank too biggrin.gif I"ll find a pic

From Aaron Kane

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But you forgot to mention the MI-24's terrible ingame AT-6 missiles! Those things are simply dreadful! I'd take a Hellfire anyday <span id='postcolor'>

Sorry , i talked about them there

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the AH-64 have just a tank hunter job , and it does it very bad (the hellfires hit only when you are at a great distance of the target) , the Mi-24 missiles are not very good too in term of accuracy, but their number will help to touch <span id='postcolor'>

I just didnt remember the name "AT-6" and prefered to write missiles wink.gif

That is too bad the AH-64 and Mi-24 primary missiles are awfully inaccurate, the AH-1 Tow are so much effective and the Mi-17 rockets are so numerous that you cant miss your target : )

AH-64

Has more style. tounge.gif

BTW, what is the Australian equivalent of the Mi-24 and AH-64?