Sign in to follow this  
Eviscerator

Bas releases, which format would you prefer?

I'd say go with rar. First of all they're smaller then zips, and second of all I noticed that some zips I download get corrupted, but I never had problems with rar

I voted for Zip but rar is good too. Once and awhile zip will mess up but i have yet to see rar mess up...

I would prefer .exe to a non-specific directory...because not everybody has WinZip/Rar, ect. and some people may not have their OFP installed in the default directory.

I don't get why would anyone who is expecting to download addons for OFP won't have winzip or winrar? That's just dumb! confused.gif

Zip or Rar. I voted for Zip, but if there's so big difference in filesizes between Rar and Zip, I prefer Rar. No EXEs please, they just confuse the whole installing progress. And I bet that everyone who has downloaded atleast one addon knows how to use Zip or Rar. And if that's the case, maybe you should put links to those programs and small instructions to BAS site wink.gif.

I voted for ZIP. Most common, easy to use and lets me be responsible for placing the files in the right or wrong folders.

I have no problems with RARs, ACEs, etc. I can open them all. Yet ZIPs are the easiest.

EXEs bother me because:

1. They suggest the wrong (or unexisting) install directory 99% of the time.

2. Some of them have the nerve to update the Windows registry with install information. I think that's a bit overqualified for user made addons and mods.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 16 2003,10:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. Some of them have the nerve to update the Windows registry with install information. I think that's a bit overqualified for user made addons and mods.<span id='postcolor'>

That's what I hate since Win95. After several install and unistall procedures you have to reinstall Windows to get rid of program corpses hidden deep in your registry/win-directory! Windows-maintenance is a horror and a pain in the ass! crazy.gif

God bless DOS. Insert Floppy, type "b:", type "install", follow the instructions, play the game and -if necessary- simply delete the game's directory. Easy, quick, clean; No need for a resource-wasting GUI.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (der bastler @ Feb. 16 2003,12:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Windows-maintenance is a horror and a pain<span id='postcolor'>

IMO, less so in XP, which lets you get rid of "orphanned" installed program entries.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Feb. 16 2003,12:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">/me is itchy  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

stink.jpg

The new download info (without links) regarding the Delta/Rangers on the BAS download page has been there for at least 8 hours (before I went to be last night, anyway).

I would not hold my breath just yet guys.

Sincerely,

Gaultesian

Ah but if my memory serves me correctly, someone from BAS said 24 hours, probably less about 16 hours ago leaving a maximum of 8 hours left. smile.gif

The time is coming.

Maybe (if we have no lives outside of OFP), we could go to the BAS site and press refresh for the next 8 hours - just in case they decide to release it before the 24 hour deadline.

Or maybe I could go to the kitchen, get some coffee and go out and shovel my car out of this freakin' pile of snow we got dumped on by Mother Nature last night.

Got to love Canadian winters.

Sincerely,

Gaultesian

I vote for ZIP. Do not cheat ourselves - zip is most common format of compression, everybody using internet already do know about it - or have to learn - because they wont meet kind people who will put files in installers everywhere... Take is as education, lerning how to use .zip is not hard :]

And also - why .zip is better than .exe self-extr, is because most of people have got used to manage with .zips in their way, either via some program, or any other technique (I am, in example, using Windows Commander, I browse through zip and unpack only needed files wich saves me a time and does not force me to delete anything more from unpacked files, as photos and readed readme...).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gaultesian @ Feb. 16 2003,11:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe (if we have no lives outside of OFP), we could go to the BAS site and press refresh for the next 8 hours - just in case they decide to release it before the 24 hour deadline.<span id='postcolor'>

I am at work in a shop in a quiet town for the next 5 hours, i will be hitting refresh as often as possible. For the next 5 hours i have no life. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am at work in a shop in a quiet town for the next 5 hours, i will be hitting refresh as often as possible. For the next 5 hours i have no life.<span id='postcolor'>

Too bad - other than the crummy weather here, I don't have to work.  Just sit back and watch my little one run around the house playing while my wife makes me breakfast (even though I had to get up with our child at 6:30 this morning and she did not want to go back to sleep).

Btw, I voted for zip files - rar is by far superior, but not everyone has it, and if you have a 56k connection that means you have to download the bas files plus winrar or a similar program to get your files.

Sincerely,

Gaultesian

yeah but while you are waiting for it to be released you can go ahead and download winrar which is the best program ive found and its easy to use