Sign in to follow this  
Gen.Carnage

Rotor downwash effects for all bis choppers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 14 2003,22:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rastavovich @ Jan. 15 2003,00:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This script is completly new and was written originally for our Comanche, but Carny forced me to use it also on BIS choppers.

If you want to use this script for your own choppers, feel free to do so.

@bn880: I know this "bug", but I dont think it is essential to take it out, since it would only need more cpu power.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know if this is a case of parallel innovation, but actually TJ created this script for his Vietnam missions quite awhile back. Check out TJ's CSAR mission for an example of this. As far as I know he came up with this by himself.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

And so did I smile.gif Nov. 04 2002,00:32 Before the engine on function was around.

I did it for fun one day, not for release. wink.gif It's definately parallel development.

EDIT: Vektorboson also created a script like this.... bit later I think and for release.

For those trying to add the rotor wash effect to other choppers, I found the problem...

this addeventhandler ["engine", {if (_this select 1) then {[_this select 0] exec ""\dkmm_choppers\dkmm_duster.sqs""}}]

Remove the extra set of quotation marks around "\dkmm_choppers\dkmm_duster.sqs"! smile.gif

Below is how it should be entered...

this addeventhandler ["engine", {if (_this select 1) then {[_this select 0] exec "\dkmm_choppers\dkmm_duster.sqs"}}]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 15 2003,05:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Check out TJ's CSAR mission for an example of this.<span id='postcolor'>

You can also see the script demonstrated in TJ's Nam mission MedEvac, available from The FAQ's MOM section.

When I first saw it, I forwarded a copy of the mission to BIS, suggesting that they consider incorporating this into future helo models. Who knows! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 15 2003,06:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 15 2003,05:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Check out TJ's CSAR mission for an example of this.<span id='postcolor'>

You can also see the script demonstrated in TJ's Nam mission MedEvac, available from The FAQ's MOM section.

When I first saw it, I forwarded a copy of the mission to BIS, suggesting that they consider incorporating this into future helo models. Who knows! smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Didnt u c the VBS shots? Bis knows how to do that effect already, but they havent released it in ofp at least not yet.... tounge.gif

...unless of course, the VBS "developers" are just using a script there too.

Oh yeah, and the helo dust has been done before, but there's a big difference between having the scirpt, and loading it into an eventhandler. This mod effectively adds dust to all previously-made helo missions. Well, at least for single player.

(unless they're doing something really fancy - I haven't downloaded the mod yet. And if they are doing something really fancy, I want someone to tell me about it statim).

Besides, many, many mission-makers are afraid of scripting. Now all they have to do is put the helo in-game and it works.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ale2999 @ Jan. 15 2003,07:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Didnt u c the VBS shots?<span id='postcolor'>

Which one are you referring to? I don't see an example of this. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dinger @ Jan. 15 2003,14:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Besides, many, many mission-makers are afraid of scripting.  Now all they have to do is put the helo in-game and it works.<span id='postcolor'>

lol, but asking people to download an addon so the mission can use a script is not very practical. Yes, it will work for the mission maker, but when they distribute the mission, they will get the good ol "Missing addon xx, Wtf!?"

bn880 did a very similar thing to this one a couple of months ago. It was however only released internally at CoC and more like a 'fun' demo. smile.gif

Upps, John McLane is right, , dont use the double-" in init line. sorry for that mistake.

I knew that such scripts have been around, but I never touched one of those. So it is paralell development. I don't even know what those scripts can do really but I am pretty sure, that the hovering over water effect (less then 15kph speed, lower then 5 meters) has never been done before.

The scripts are not ment for MP, so you will experience some trouble, but I will write a script that should make the whole thing working on MP.

when working on the comanche, i asked rasta to take the tunguska's gunsmoke and place it on z=0, using eventhandler engine. for downwash effect, he then started coding and came up with this without having looked at any other script.

I resent the insinuations that code was 'borrowed' from other scripts and reassure you that we at the time didnt even know of possible similar scripts existance, let alone used them!

regardless of this, we are pretty sure that many people will be happy with this fuss-free implementing of the effect in their missions.

The initline provided in the readme.txt don't work for me. Here the modified one.

Modified incoming missile.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this addeventhandler ["IncomingMissile", {(_this select 0) vehicleRadio "DKMM_chopper_incmissile"}]<span id='postcolor'>

Modified Dust:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this addeventhandler ["engine", {if (_this select 1) then {[_this select 0] exec "\dkmm_choppers\dkmm_duster.sqs"}}]<span id='postcolor'>

Nice work DKM.

Hey, this works for me with a benchmark of 1145 smile.gif

Nice job DKM

this is indeed a high quality script, it is however a shame it requires soo much cpu power confused.gif

other than that, well done lads, nice work smile.gif

i was wondering why my system with 5500 bench was also sometimes struggling with the dust.... (when zooming in on external view)

i found out that setting antialiasing on by default is something that drags your 3d performance down when it comes to rendering those cloudlets. (i have a gf4 ti4600 and had AA set at 4x by default in windows)

turning it on auto in windows will dramatically reduce the cpu load with ofp using this script, at the cost of a little sharpness ofcourse.

just a little tip that might help your system...

Sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b in scripting, but I don't really understand how i should put it into the init line..

I tried to cut and paste exactly what is written in the readme (minuse the extra set of " marks), into the editor but I get an error message. Am i missing something? Or do i need to edit the SQM file?

Thanks.

EDIT: Do i need to dePBO the file and extract anything either? thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dinger @ Jan. 15 2003,06:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...unless of course, the VBS "developers" are just using a script there too.

Oh yeah, and the helo dust has been done before, but there's a big difference between having the scirpt, and loading it into an eventhandler.  This mod effectively adds dust to all previously-made helo missions.  Well, at least for single player.

(unless they're doing something really fancy - I haven't downloaded the mod yet.  And if they are doing something really fancy, I want someone to tell me about it statim).

Besides, many, many mission-makers are afraid of scripting.  Now all they have to do is put the helo in-game and it works.<span id='postcolor'>

If a mission maker is afraid of scripting, then they are not much of a mission maker. You don't need to know how to write scripts. You only need to know how to apply scripts that others have already made and how to modify them to fit your own mission.

Also I do not like having to download a bunch of addons for playing MP games unless they are extremely high quality addons (like the NAM2 pack and the DKM Bronco).

The script in TJ's mission by the way works beautifully in MP missions and requires no addons.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MAsta_KFC @ Jan. 15 2003,13:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b in scripting, but I don't really understand how i should put it into the init line..

I tried to cut and paste exactly what is written in the readme (minuse the extra set of " marks), into the editor but I get an error message. Am i missing something? Or do i need to edit the SQM file?

Thanks.

EDIT: Do i need to dePBO the file and extract anything either? thanks.<span id='postcolor'>

1. You don't need to depbo the file.

2. Check my first post on this tread.

3. Place a ";" between the first and the second script.

4. or copy/paste this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this addeventhandler ["IncomingMissile", {(_this select 0) vehicleRadio "DKMM_chopper_incmissile"}]; this addeventhandler ["engine", {if (_this select 1) then {[_this select 0] exec "\dkmm_choppers\dkmm_duster.sqs"}}]<span id='postcolor'>

5. Of course place the PBO file in your addons folder.  wink.gif

Guys, I do fly helicopters for living, and I want to tell you this add on is very welcome.

helicopters make a large dust or water spray cloud when landing (unless pavement). This affects not only the pilot visibility but also the people's on ground. Also it makes it easier to detect at longer distances by enemies that may not see the chopper but surely see the dust cloud that forms.

Well done!! smile.gif

Hey! I like this very much DKM!

Even here with a 500 mhz with Voodoo 3 3000 under Glide I can use them without any problem. I think Glide still rocks for OF.

I also like the extra feature of the alarm sounds adds a lot to realism! wow.gif

ok, after adding

this addeventhandler ["IncomingMissile", {(_this select 0) vehicleRadio "DKMM_chopper_incmissile"}]; this addeventhandler ["engine", {if (_this select 1) then {[_this select 0] exec "\dkmm_choppers\dkmm_duster.sqs"}}]

into the init line of a chopper, such as the seb huey or little bird which i have tried, i cannot get the dust to work, is there something i am not doing?

Who cares who scripted this idea first, obviosly its not something hard to do, since one human didit before, another human can do it next. Those attempts from other addons makers to diss the efforts of the author when making something new are increasing a lot lately. I think how the first questions that comes out "did u make it or was it this old script" totaly shows the attitude of the modding community. Each is racing restlesly to be the unique and holy.

From the responses here, it seems that most people inthe OFP community were never aware of any scriptes like this done before. So that explains it.

This is a community , its original purpose is to have fun, so lets do it. Addon making is adding to the fun, not a race.

cheers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (deadsoldier @ Jan. 15 2003,15:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Who cares who scripted this idea first, obviosly its not something hard to do, since one human didit before, another human can do it next. Those attempts from other addons makers to diss the efforts of the author when making something new are increasing a lot lately. I think how the first questions that comes out "did u make it or was it this old script" totaly shows the attitude of the modding community. Each is racing restlesly to be the unique and holy.

From the responses here, it seems that most people inthe OFP community were never aware of any scriptes like this done before. So that explains it.

This is a community , its original purpose is to have fun, so lets do it. Addon making is adding to the fun, not a race.

cheers<span id='postcolor'>

Nobody was putting down anyone's work. I was merely weighting the merits of addon vs. scripting approaches to this issue. I agree it doesn't really matter who did it first and yeah it is a shame that these scripts weren't shared earlier.

But oh well. I guess script writers like their missions to be "special" and surprise people at least until other mission makers de-PBO their missions and start using the scripts.

I remember when in my Blackhawk Down mission I had a M2 .50 cal on the humvees which I managed by modifying a script someone posted for mounting soldiers on the back of T80 tanks. I was all proud of it and thought I was the first to do that until someone pointed out another mission done long before mine where the mission maker did the same thing. smile.gif

But oh well... I think that for SP missions this addon is a welcome addition. I just hope that it doesn't conflict with missions that use the scripted version. sad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Airwolf, make sure you have at least 1.85 installed, else it wont work. If you have that make also sure you installed the dkmm_chopper.pbo in OFP/addons or FOP/Res/Addons folder.

Then it should work.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vikingo @ Jan. 15 2003,15:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey! I like this very much DKM!

Even here with a 500 mhz with Voodoo 3 3000 under Glide I can use them without any problem. I think Glide still rocks for OF.

I also like the extra feature of the alarm sounds adds a lot to realism! wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

How many rams do you have? Me is using glide too but I wouldn't expect that it would work properly if you haven't got the advised benchmarks.