mickeymen

Please make adequate accuracy for Tank AI-gunners, against air targets

On 4/28/2019 at 12:05 AM, oukej said:

I am afraid that if we allowed the AI tank gunners to shoot at helicopters they would be too good at it and players would complain. 

why it is simply impossible to reduce accuracy against ONLY AIR TARGETS?

targets are divided into different families (Air/Land)

Also the AI could easily get too fixated by any enemy helicopter and would ignore ground combat.

In Arma3 there is no priority for various targets? I can't believe it.

If we wanted to balance it out by limiting their accuracy or speed of the target they can engage, we'd have to limit it for all targets, crippling the tank crew efficiency even against "normal" ground targets. So I'd rather leave it as it is.

I can propose the calculating the current target speed + altitude +distance will require resources, but this not need - you could give a total percentage of accuracy

for example

If AI-tank have Accuracy vs Land Target  == 0.8 then
Air Targets must have Accuracy == 0.33

This is a rough example, lower accuracy against class - "Air Target"

It would look like at least some solution

On 4/30/2019 at 12:37 AM, mickeymen said:

why it is simply impossible to reduce accuracy against ONLY AIR TARGETS?

targets are divided into different families (Air/Land)

I am sorry, there is no configuration of different accuracy per different target type.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:37 AM, mickeymen said:

In Arma3 there is no priority for various targets? I can't believe it.

There is - on the target side (cost & threat) and on the used ammo side (aiAmmoUsageFlags). However the cost property has unfortunately been used for different mechanics over the OFP/Arma life span and at this point it's quite an ominous thing. It can't be adjusted easily for just one of its purposes. Other problems could arise with reevaluation of the targets which doesn't happen as often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, the point is, anything that has a good chance of defeating an aircraft is used. That starts with simple Medium Machineguns from a bipod, goes on für autocannons on IFVs to MBTs and of course Anti Air Artillery. It is simply a factum in military training since World War One. The "Red Baron" was brought down that way in 1918. He felt to secure and underestimated ground fire.

A video from the 1970's showing that you train to basically shoot everything against air targets.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, oukej said:

I am sorry, there is no configuration of different accuracy per different target type.

There is - on the target side (cost & threat) and on the used ammo side (aiAmmoUsageFlags). However the cost property has unfortunately been used for different mechanics over the OFP/Arma life span and at this point it's quite an ominous thing. It can't be adjusted easily for just one of its purposes. Other problems could arise with reevaluation of the targets which doesn't happen as often.

Thanks for you answers

I seem to recall AI tanks shooting me down when flying a Wipeout, though that was a few versions ago. They generally only had a chance of hitting when you were strafing them with the gun (flying straight at them), so it was fair enough, I guess. I didn't mind it then and wouldn't mind seeing it come back. It'd make anti-armor CAS less of a turkey shoot. It certainly is something real tanks can do, there's a reason you're supposed to use missiles against them. They generally can't turn the gun fast enough or high enough to track fastmovers, and an attack helo has, if properly flown, several advantages over the tank that allow it to make a kill before the tank crew can react. If you're a pilot and you get yourself shot down by a tank's main gun, you've got noone but yourself to blame.