[WIP] F-35F Standalone

Very WIP version here:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1583193287

Still needs:

1) working HUD

2) improved textures

3) animated weapon bays

4) further tweaked model

5) properly configured hitpoints so that the engine, sensors, controls, etc can be damaged while the plane hasn't been completely destroyed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I noticed, years after Arma 3 has been out, there are still very few mods for an F-35B, and none are standalone.

Early in Arma's history, Chortle's put his out, but its way out of date with the new sensors, stealth, pilot camera, and dynamic loadouts

The USAF mod is working on one, but its still not out, and I suspect it will have a lot of other non-vanilla complexities (afterburner for instance), I doubt it will be standalone

CUP: incapable of VTOL operation (STOVL only), which makes it not suited for hover taxing, which is great for use with the LHD for instance

Spoiler

This is the F-35 from the Aegis mod, with a tweaked version of the Atlas LHD mod:

hover taxing to the elevator:

NJcGnFL.jpg

Sending it down below

MTx3tJ0.jpg

Packing F-35s below deck, making use of hover taxing because there's not good towing system or way to reverse them:

sYbDvXD.jpg

Now, the Aegis F-38 from @Night515 is pretty good, but its not standalone.

I decided to try to make my own port, and in the process to modify the model to be a bit more F-35-like and a bit less X-35-like, and also to make some changes to stats that are simply judgement calls

So at the moment, I've got a standalone VTOL F-35 with a working targeting camera, sensors suite+stealth properties, dynamic loadout system, and some animations working (weapon bay hatches still aren't animated). I will try to make the textures look better soon (it is way too bright under mid day direct sunlight).

So I've given the model a sawtooth edge to its tailpipe (an earlier iteration before I fixed the sensors)

0B41663824060C46478C83AEFB6C1DE468EAE212

I've improved visibility from the cockpit:

FAA7A7479DCCB36F72B9DB059821313FAF017A3D

Given it a "bump" where the EOTS is on the F-35 (the bump has since been changed, no pics yet)

3C269EF554531299216DCA916EE0825F0D3F4EEB

And I'm making other tweaks to the overall geometry to make it it more like an F-35 and less like the X-35

I've also been testing out new weapons for the weapons bay:

DA0D38D2CCF137E36615E3DFDE659FE8A0A8B7F2

Currently it has an integrated 25mm gatling gun with 300 rounds (yea, I know, only the A model has this, and with only 180 rounds, I'll probably lower the ammo count for this "F" model later), and 4 weapon pylons.

Each of the two outer pylons currently support:

1x ASRAAM/Bim-9x/AMRAAM D/Scalpel/DAR Pod (12x DAR), considering a DAGR pod

Ideally, I'm going to want the DAR pods to be attached to the door, and swing out as on the blackfoot

The two inner pylons support:

2x AMRAAM D/4x SDB/4x Scapel/1x HARM/1x GBU-12/1x CBU-85

I'm considering making a 3x ASRAAM rack for the inner bays, (to be something like a MSDM/CUDA type missile:

Spoiler

BNjrVYCCcAASXm0.jpg

the 2x AMRAAM internal mags are still WIP, as its just an AMRAAM internal pylon with count set to 2 (so only one missile shows up fires twice, I'm going to ry to make a very simple rack with no texture/ geometry (just memory points for where the missiles go) for the 2x AMRAAM rack, so when the bays are open/one looks in the bays, one can see there are 2 amraams at that station.

So at the moment an A2A loadout could be 6x AMRAAM, or 2x BIM-9, 4x AMRAAM

A CAS loadout might be 24x DAR, 4x scalpel, 4x SDB

A SEAD loadout might be 1x HARM, 4x scalpel, 2x whatever... if I allow DAGRs, I could see that changing to 24x DAGR and 2x HARM

Top speed is about even with the Gryphon for now. Radar stealth is the same as the black wasp, radar range is the same as the black wasp. Its IR stealth is a 20% reduction in detection range (a 0.8 multiplier). Its IR sensor is the same as that found on the A-164 wipeout, except not limited to view distance settings.

I'm thinking about making a small mod pack including:

1) An air dominance variant of the Xian, with a very powerful radar (16 km, data linked, wide field of view), expanded magazines for its gun and countermeasures, ability to mount ARM missiles, 2x R-77s racks on each of its 4 pylons, or 3x R-73 racks on each of its pylons

2) A harrier for the independent force (F-35F+1+2= a VTOL strike fighter pack)

An upgunned Panther, with its HMG firing the currently unused 12.7x99mm SLAP (saboted light armor penetrator) rounds, which is similar to a GM6 APDS machinegun

An upgunned Marid, with its HMG changed to fire 12.7x108mm APDS rounds (I think I can also make it slingloadable by the Taru, since the model has some memory points defined for other purposes that I think I could also assign for slingloading)

Similar upgunned variants of the MRAPs with HMGs.

Is anyone interested in this, or would I be the only one using it?

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Dont worry about interest of others. You do you. Make what makes you happy and learn as much as possible. Your work looks really good so far. Keep it up :)

• Like 4

of course I'll do "what makes [me] happy", but if there's no interest, then I there's little purpose to status updates in a thread and workshop uploads.

That said... I think there would be some interest in some of the things I proposed, based on some "likes" i got in a suggestions thread I made a while back. Basically I complained about Opfor being a bit OP in a scenario with both sides on the same landmass (and both controlling an airstrip, or neither controlling an airstrip)... but that the situation completel reverses if Opfor needs to cross water/do an airborne assault/ only has an offshore based for fast-mover airpower (ie the Xian).

Blufor has airmobile armor... Opfor has only MRAPs.

Blufor (and Indfor) has amphibious autocannon equipped armor,  Opfor has only the marid with an HMG/GMG

Making the Marid's firepower (and an Ifrit's) more competitive with an autocannon (through the use of APDS rounds) would be a good start, and allowing a taru to lift it would be great.

Their fast-mover airpower is limited to the Xian if they don't control an airfield (such as a scenario starting with an offshore base), while Blufor can have the offshore base be in the form of the USS Freedom, and it can thus operate black wasps (although with appropriate scripting and papering over the US flag with CSAT flags, CSAT can also operate fast movers from it... but.... its not great).

But the Xian is not great at all for A2A combat, even with scripts setting A2A missiles on the pylons (due to its very limited radar range).... so a pure combat variant with better A2A capabilities would be nice.

But in other scenarios (such as no airfields, no USS freedom)... a pure combat VTOL for Opfor would be OP'd against bluefor... so Blufor needs its own combat VTOL...

I figured the F-35 would be the greatest challenge, so I'd do that first as a standalone, and if I manage it, put out the little pack afterward (which would be mostly just config changes).

Although I still would want to go farther (harrier for the AAF, airmobile static ported ZSU-23s, ural ZSU-23's for syndicat, and a AH-64 port for blufor), I don't think I have time for porting the rest of those.

• Like 2

I'm interested mate would love to have this plane in game.  To be honest I gave up on USAF mod it seems it will take at a year before a new update , been waiting sinced 2015 .. So your work will be more than welcome.

Ok, so its WIP, I still need to:

1) Give it a working HUD (I think I can just copy the right text from the Black wasp config... although maybe its harder than that)

2) get the weapon bays to animate (I think I know what I need to do), ideally with a script to have the bays open if DARs are selected

3) improve textures

4) Tweak the model to resemble an F-35 more and an X-35 less

5) Uhhh... I think I had something else to do as well, but it escapes me now... I'm open to suggestions

But I'll share the file for now:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1583193287

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the weapon bays there is a way to get them to open when a weapon is selected without scripts. Like the Blackfoot. I'll try hook you up asap

• Like 1

I think I already found how, just haven't had the time to implement it.

The Blackfoot uses something called a holster value or something like that, but from what I've read, it only works for helos

holdstervalue is pretty outdated

Since Dynamic Loudouts got added, vehicles use the bay animation sources

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Vehicle_Loadouts#Animation_sources

With the various parameters for weapon bay classes (openBayWhenWeaponSelected etc.)

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Vehicle_Loadouts#vehicle_config_-_CfgVehicles

Mod updated, has the sounds, flight model (mostly), and HUD of the black wasp...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1583193287

I don't know why it starts to pitch up when you reduce vectoring a little, anyone know what parameter I should change?

As for the LHD:

Well I don't have permission, I downloaded Atlas:LHD Plus... its quite outdate, but it works (you just need to do some text editing of a mission file to place it in, after that copy and paste is fine).

The biggest problem is that it adds weapon systems which use vanilla weapons, but with new magazines... it seems to redefine the magazines that vanilla weapons accept, and the result is that pylon magazines for the ASRAAM do not get recognized (I think it may also screw up some other magazines). Other pylon weapons work fine (AMRAAMs, BIM-9, scalpel, etc)

I used hexedit to directly edit the binary file, and also change some things that enabled simulation inside the map editor...

But I don''t have the files to rebinarize it  and sign the output file. I think a simple config to load after the atlas LHD would fix the pylon problem... but I don't know how else to get rid of the annoying simulation in the map editor after its been placed (the direct editing of the binary file is quite a crude method).

Its unsigned, so I don't think it can be used in MP. To the community, I shouldn't upload this LHD thing, right?

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 5:16 AM, nikiforos said:

I'm interested mate would love to have this plane in game.  To be honest I gave up on USAF mod it seems it will take at a year before a new update , been waiting sinced 2015 .. So your work will be more than welcome.

Ok...sorry you are impatient and we have lives and stuff that comes up. Sorry we’re not androids that work on mods 24/7.

Anyways good luck on your F35 port Ex