isakk12

Adding x-44 gunship Campaign?

I would like to see a Campaign mission for the apex Campaign, featuring the x-44 gunship. I mean that you play as a weapon operator. Does anyone believe that is possible? 

No.

BIS won't release much more SP mission (except the one mentionned in a previous SITREP to conclude the campaign).

Ok, do you know any coop x-44 missions?

The blackfish gunship is a nice toy!

I wonder why it is totally underused in the Campaign and all SP missions.

For the future of ARMA i would like to see campaigns for planes / helicopters .

ARMA has a perfect environment to make evasion and rescue of downed pilots to an natural part of a Pilot campaign. (kind of like in OFP but more random depending on your actual mission performance)

• Like 1

I totaly agree with you, it are no Campaign in arma 3 that you can fly a blackfish in. I would like to see some Campaigns with choppers and gunships.

3 hours ago, cas said:

I wonder why it is totally underused in the Campaign and all SP missions.

It's hard to make good content with it for multiple reasons:

- First things first, it's actually hard to make something playable that is also fun, duh.

- Usually the ai will just screw you over...

- ... so if you really want this to work good, you'll have to script like everything, which is a lot work.

- Oh, and view range is an issue. The plane has to fly high, but the view range goes only so far until either performance or lod glitches will hit you.

- If you're the gunner, the (singleplayer) mission needs lots of unique dialog to make it not feel super boring.

- If you're the pilot... it's just not that exciting.

- If you are a soldier on the ground... oh boy, there we go to the scripting again. The AI just can't use the plane in a way that it looks good. I tried a lot, then gave up because it wasn't worth the headache.

- Generally I think the aiming is still completely fucked. At least I am unable to hit my targets most of the time in the first go. Just tried it right now for about 10 minutes, first from 2km height, then from 1km height... zeroing is completely fucked and I can hardly hit shit.

- There are two gunners, so in singleplayer you can't even control all the weapons at once.

In the end it's a shame, really. The plane looks good, but only as a scenery object. There's a reason why we haven't seen an official showcase mission with the Blackfish...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe if you play as infantry and has the choice to call in a v-44X gunship?

20 hours ago, isakk12 said:

Maybe if you play as infantry and has the choice to call in a v-44X gunship?

On 7/29/2018 at 5:35 PM, lexx said:

- If you are a soldier on the ground... oh boy, there we go to the scripting again. The AI just can't use the plane in a way that it looks good. I tried a lot, then gave up because it wasn't worth the headache.

What if arma had air to air refueling? 

If you see it from this point: The V-44X and the Y-32 Xi'an have both a refueling boom, so it may work. What do you guys think?

On 7/31/2018 at 8:06 PM, isakk12 said:

What if arma had air to air refueling? 

If you see it from this point: The V-44X and the Y-32 Xi'an have both a refueling boom, so it may work. What do you guys think?

ArmA and aerial refueling? :e:

I'm  not entirely proud of what could've been done here, but there is only so much that can be done with the current engine.  Just wait for the next title bro! 

I was thinking it probably would be a lot better if the blackfish would work like a flying artillery gun. You mark targets and it'll drop the load. Right now it just behaves like a generic plane with a weird firing arc. Even if you "hack" it with putting the pilot into his own group, the gunners will attack anything they see on sight. Playing as a soldier on the ground and making them target exactly what you want, including the amount of shots to fire, requires additional advanced scripting again. It's not impossible to do, but... it should really be a vanilla game feature, imo.

• Like 1

Yea, that would be cool to see in-game. But it would mean a lot of scripting and modding.

Just to note that even if you do all of the scripting and modding, Arma 3 AI is getting harder and harder to control when you edit a mission. That is because they change how they act. Especially the planes. You try the mission once and the AI follows way-points. You try the mission another time and the AI disregards way-points. That is why multiple tests have to be made even for simple way-points... Imagine having to place scripts and way-points for an SP x-44 gunner mission. Chances of all of them working are next to zero.

Sorry for the negative thinking but BI needs to think about all of these for an Arma 4. A title which will take about 2-3 years to come to an acceptable state. Personal opinion. No source in that one. 

• Like 2

Yea, it is hard to script everything. I think I got what I needed, time to close this topic...

I made a mission with the x-44 gunship.

Named Bad Karma.

Just reuploaded it on the workshop.

19 hours ago, isakk12 said:

Ok, I will check it out.

Good.

You tell me what you think about it.

Please, don't forget to rate and comment also, it is quite useful for mission maker.