Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Finally some competition for ofp ?

I think it will be a bit more like OFP2.

In Soldner wars you can deform terrian, this is something you cant do in OFP. From waht I gather deforming terrian and buildings will be a major part of the gameplay doctrine.

Also, I dont think Soldner wars will be like OFP in regards to having a squad that you command by pressing back space then pressing 5 then pressing 9 then pressing 4 then pressing 1. I would say it would play a bit more like a realistic FPS.

I don't think it will really compete w/ OFP until there are a fair amount of 3rd party addons. It won't even come with a M4 or M16! Until people make many new weapons for it I probably won't get it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Dec. 12 2002,10:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Until people make many new weapons for it I probably won't get it.<span id='postcolor'>

As I mentioned in another post, the developers plan to release new guns every week after the game is released.

They chose a really cool setting for the game.  If prophetic, we are all in for an interesting future:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After half a century of military interventions major countries like the United States of America or Russia are weary of their role as "World Police". The consequences of their military actions for their economy, national security, and internal ethnic conflicts let to the conclusion to tune down their military campaigns.

Due to that more and more countries choose unconventional warfare by using secret special forces. Military success is no longer made by major countries but by small and highly specialized mercenary forces.

In "SÖLDNER - Secret Wars" the player takes over the command of such a special forces team. As the Commander he leads a small high tech army consisting of soldiers, light armored vehicles, helicopters and VTOLS (Vertical Take Off and Landing Airplanes) to fulfill a wide variety of mission types .

The players units are stationed on a multi purpose ship which is camouflaged as a merchantman to allow unrestrained travel of the seas to get their forces to the area of operation.

The complete simulation of a complex political world system allows to create a dynamic campaign: each decision of the player, each success or failure has direct effect on the gameflow. In addition the player has the ability to gain access to the latest weapon systems and technology, which currently exist in the research centers of the weapon industry only.

<span id='postcolor'>Source

As I said in my earlier post, I'm not getting my hopes up on this one, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on its progress.  It could prove to be a happy surprise.

I think the most interesting part is the sheer size of the landscape they plan to include: 6500 x 3500 km - now there's an area worth sending up the fighter planes and scuds... but then most will be open sea, with a few islands, as far as I understood.

What I hope OFP 2 will offer is landscapes of a few thousand square kilometres with a dynamic landscape as described for this Söldner game. In general Söldner doesn't really sound like my kind of game, but these features look promising.

In one of the screenshots it looks like one of the guys is attacking a tank with a stinger, lol.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kunotodt @ Dec. 13 2002,21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In one of the screenshots it looks like one of the guys is attacking a tank with a stinger, lol.<span id='postcolor'>

I think that may be realted to the short story on the website where the soldier has a stinger, and he knows it won't blow up a tank so he blew a hole in front of the tank and the tank got stuck.

Just so you remember, this game is been made by the crew who are behind Panzer Elite. And Panzer Elite is the best WW2 Tank sim you will coem across. It is also highly realistic. So these people has history on their side.

I've been to the Munster Panzer Museum, thats the coolest place I've ever been to. The M-48 Patton that you can get into is VERY roomy, until you cram yourself into the gunners seat wink.gif

I think Soldner will be cool, right next of Ofp in my fav games list.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ Dec. 13 2002,20:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">spotted an error here:

Screenshot...Tornado crossed with a Harrier wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Whoa, what the heck.

A... tarrier, if you will. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ Dec. 13 2002,16:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">spotted an error here:

Screenshot...Tornado crossed with a Harrier wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The game's storyline take place in the not too far future. They've got secret vehicles as well.

The more I look at this game, the less interested it appears to me.

How could this possibly be a shitty game? It lets you choose the style of wool cap, gloves, pants, and boots!

[/sarcasm]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Dec. 27 2002,20:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder why as soon as a new game is shown here everyone starts bashing it  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

cause OFP spoiled us. tounge.gif

after OFP, i pretty much gave up other games. all my friends play WC3, but i lost my taste for RTS thanx to OFP. and not to mention other FPS looking silly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Dec. 27 2002,21:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Dec. 27 2002,20:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder why as soon as a new game is shown here everyone starts bashing it  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

after OFP, i pretty much gave up other games. all my friends play WC3, but i lost my taste for RTS thanx to OFP. and not to mention other FPS looking silly.<span id='postcolor'>

I feel the same way. Any other game i pick up it usually looses its interest in a few minutes sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Dec. 27 2002,21:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Dec. 27 2002,20:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder why as soon as a new game is shown here everyone starts bashing it  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

after OFP, i pretty much gave up other games. all my friends play WC3, but i lost my taste for RTS thanx to OFP. and not to mention other FPS looking silly.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, same here. I just have to bash other silly FPS's. I just can't help myself. All other games just sucks. There's just not enough things to do in most games. I want to be able to operate every vehicle i see, and i just hate stone or tree walls.

I'm quite the opposite of everyone apparently. I got Warcraft III for Christmas, and have been playing it extensively for the past few days. OFP just got old since I couldnt edit it.

I'm probably going to just wait until some more interesting addons for OFP come out though. Then I'll play it for a few days, then take a break. I'm tempted to reinstall just to try out that new AA gun smile.gif

I'm already sehr bored of OFP, but all the other games seem lik e crap compared to it.

Even if you get "sehr" bored of OFP you will see that in one month from now you will check for new modells and you will replay resistance once again. OFP is a boomerang, you throw it away and it will get back to you. OFP for me was worth every penny and I play it all over again. Now that I will work on Malta (yeah I know, you thought that I will work in Thailand), I wonder if I can get get at least ISDN. Let me give you one last forecast: Once you have ugraded your PC the first thing you will do is try out how OFP goes and you will replay RESISTANCE once again. I now got a P4 2.533 and GEFORCE 4600 and OFP is still the best game to play. Screw SOF2, screw UT2003, screw MOHAA, screw Mafia, screw whatever game you got, in MAX settings only OFP rocks right now. Cheers!!!

Ofp is still the game for me where you can be a grunt in a (kinda realistic) large mechanised battle. I have yet to see a game that can do that. And no don't give me bf1942 crap. From what I've heard it's just as "realistic" as CS.

Other games can fascinate me as long as they aren't arcade like (the only exception here is medal of honour).