Sign in to follow this  
Lazarus_Long

What's your favourite war novel?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ Dec. 10 2002,17:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Dec. 10 2002,01wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That peter Rbit come Sven Hassel was the best Kids story ever!!!! <!--emo&tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Too bad that the tank in the pictures is a T-34, not a Tiger.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Dont froget the description of the 88mm gun as a howitzer and that the Tiget tank had two 7.62mm MGs (instead of 7.92mm) well, you cant have everything you want tounge.gif

has anybody read The Lion's Grave? i was planning on maybe going to my libary to pick it up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Dec. 09 2002,16:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">has anybody read The Lion's Grave? i was planning on maybe going to my libary to pick it up.<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. Whats it about? Sounds like a interesting read?

Just a few that I remembered.

All quite on the Western Front, master piece, down by a WW1 veteran.

Guerrila Surgeon. Written by a New Zealand surgeon who worked with the resistance in Yoguslavia during WW2.

Hostile Waters. Based on a true story of a Russian Submarine that ran into rather large troubles in 1986. If it hadnt been for a young Soviet salior, there would have been a nuclear melt down worse than Chynobal right on Americas door step.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Dec. 11 2002,01:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Dec. 09 2002,16:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">has anybody read The Lion's Grave? i was planning on maybe going to my libary to pick it up.<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. Whats it about? Sounds like a interesting read?<span id='postcolor'>

its not exactly a war novel but talks more about the Taliban in Afghanistan. and often about interviews w/ a war lord that was the neighbor of the taliban leader Mullah Mohamod Omar in his old home village. and about the kinds of hipocracy in the taliban rule. like after the fall of the taliban Mullah gives back the old village to his old neighbor along w/ this brand new Mercadies Benz that belonged to him. in along that came w/ the car were ironicly stacks of Music CDs. heres a link to some info on it. im gona maybe go and check it out.

For a bit of a lighter read about WWII, you might want to read some of Spike Milligan's memoirs, like 'Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall' & 'Mussolini: His Part in My Downfall'

A lot of it isn't directly about combat, but about the periphery of the war. Really funny stuff though.

*thinks*

how about e.m. remarque's "all quiet on the western front"?

or graham greene's "the quiet american."

or wait! I'll give you a line from my upcoming "samson's war on terror" novel:

"He reached down again and took a submachinegun out. Its black steel reflected the shine of the car’s lights. An “Ooh,†oscillating between anxiety and excitement, rose from the crowd."

how's that? smile.gif

I have another one.

Barbarossa Red by Denis Jones.

Despite the name, no its not about the German invasion of the Soviet Union, rather the other way around. It is set in the 1980s where due to West Germany coming up with some very evil plots the USSR invades Wset Germany to stop some very naughty things from happening.

Excellant read but I think he could have written a bit more about the warfare instead of all the secret agent stuff, but still very good.

This sounds odd but my favorite war novel is "The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler" (payne) It gives almost a 1st person perspective on the culmination of the rise of Nazis and World war 2.

Dont get caught reading it though.. you may get put on a list. biggrin.gif

Chris Ryan wrote some good stuff 'bout the gulf war.

"the one that got away" and "Stand by" are good time spending. His books may not be classics but i think they rox.

In fact there's lots of good war books, but as far as i'm concerned  i do not know a single valuable war comic book. biggrin.gif

Does any1?  wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Diplomata @ Dec. 15 2002,02:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Chris Ryan wrote some good stuff 'bout the gulf war.

"the one that got away" and "Stand by" are good time spending. His books may not be classics but i think they rox.

In fact there's lots of good war books, but as far as i'm concerned  i do not know a single valuable war comic book. biggrin.gif

Does any1?  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, it's not realism...

but..

Sgt. Rock.

Best war comic book of all time. Though, the one about the Sherman Tank commander that sees the ghost of the Civil War general and talks to him was pretty good too!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Dec. 15 2002,07:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Though, the one about the Sherman Tank commander that sees the ghost of the Civil War general and talks to him was pretty good too!<span id='postcolor'>

"The Haunted Tank!"  As one of the resident nitpickers around here, I have to point out that it was a Stuart, haunted by (no surprise) JEB Stuart.  Ahhh, memories...

They're fictional, and they're not all war novels, but I'm partial to Stephen Hunter's "Bob the Nailer" series.

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Dec. 08 2002,02:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm lets see. I recommend reading Rainbow 6 by tom clancy. Very action packed but at a long 700 or so pages. Very good.<span id='postcolor'>

It´s 900 pages, and I read it in 2 days. No kidding! wow.gif

Red Storm Rising is good too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sgt. Rock.

<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif I can't believe someone actually remembers Sgt. Rock, the John Wayne of comic book heroes!  biggrin.gif  This makes me very happy.  He Rocks!  I also liked Sgt. Fury, a Sgt. Rock spinoff.

Speaking of war comics, an old classic is "The Sad Sack".  It was the war time (WW2) equivalent of "Beetle Baily".  My grandfather handed me down a copy from when he was in the Army Air Force back in 1945.  It's some funny stuff.

xmas.gif

The Dune Series is pretty good. While it's not war as we know it, it's still war wink.gif

"Battle for the Falklands" by Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins GREAT book

biggrin.gif

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned the fiction of Stephen Hunter yet. I've read a number of his books, including "Point of Impact", "Dirty White Boys", and "Black Light", which are interconnected through the "Bob the Nailer" character.

Excellent writing, and great attention to detail. Two thumbs up!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Dec. 18 2002,0009)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned the fiction of Stephen Hunter yet. I've read a number of his books, including "Point of Impact", "Dirty White Boys", and "Black Light", which are interconnected through the "Bob the Nailer" character.

Excellent writing, and great attention to detail. Two thumbs up!<span id='postcolor'>

"Nobody?"  Are you trying to damage my fragile self-esteem?  Heh.  "Point of Impact" is up there with "The Cardinal of the Kremlin" and "Red Dragon" as favorite reads, IMO.  Awesome book.

Have you read "Hot Springs" yet?  There's an encounter between Earl Swagger and "Bugsy" Siegel that is classic.

Semper Fi

Mhhh... good books?

* Manfred Gregor: "Die Brücke" ('the bridge'): about a bunch of German kid soldiers in the last days of WW2, that have to defend a bridge

* Lothar-Günther Buchheim: "Das Boot" (the book the famous movie by Wolfgang Petersen is based on)

* Erich Maria Remarque: "Im Westen nichts Neues" ('All quiet on the western front'): about the trench war in WW2.

* Norman Mailer: "The Naked and the Dead": about WW2 in the Pazific

And then there's a lot of trash that gives a good reading but isn't anything more than simple entertainement...

A book called 'The Shooting Gallery' by Gaz Hunter- real life stories of his in the SAS and out of it. Best 'war' book I've ever read.

Sven Hassel,

I read a great one about Norwegian special forces in WWII, but I cant remember the title and I've loaned it to someone.

Don't really like Chris Ryan's very much.

Best Sci-Fi war book:

'Use Of Weapons' - Iain M. Banks. I recommend any of his books for sheer reading pleasure (don't start with Feersum Enjin though)

My war gone by I miss it so... By Anthiny Loyd

Stalingrad, and Berlin - Anthony Beevor

Red Storm Rising - The only good tom clancy book

Chickenhawk - Robert Mason

Use of Weapons - Iain M Banks ( actually the whole culture series)

smile_o.gif