Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

The Iraq Thread

Doesn't any of you guys ever wonder why a lot of countries in Europe (with exception of the UK), Russia, and many other countries do not agree with this war?

The best proof that this war is wrong, is that pretty much our whole world is against it with exception of the UK and the US...

You know, the Mid East thread took 111 days (from April 4, 2002 to July 24, 2002) to get to 144 pages (or 1434 replies). This thread is now half of the Mid East thread total, and it took only 50 days (December 3, 2002 to today) to get to page 144.

"And now you know, and knowing is half the battle." (G.I. Joe biggrin.gif )

-=Die Alive=-

title.image.jpg

This is CNN's logo for the crisis.  They've also composed some dramatic theme music to go with it.

CNN made a fortune 10 years ago broadcasting live from Baghdad and they don't plan to miss out on this new source of revenue.  In fact, all the major media groups are already investing heavily in new conflict logos and theme music to go along with the multi-million dollar advertising contracts being signed with corporate sponsors for when/if the first bombs start falling.

I wonder if any of the innocent Iraqi civilians who will perish will ever even hear the wonderful music being composed for the occasion of their deaths.

Welcome to the 21st century! kotz.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Jan. 22 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">title.image.jpg

This is CNN's logo for the crisis.  They've also composed some dramatic theme music to go with it.

CNN made a fortune 10 years ago broadcasting live from Baghdad and they don't plan to miss out on this new source of revenue.  In fact, all the major media groups are already investing heavily in new conflict logos and theme music to go along with the multi-million dollar advertising contracts being signed with corporate sponsors for when/if the first bombs start falling.

I wonder if any of the innocent Iraqi civilians who will perish will ever even hear the wonderful music being composed for the occasion of their deaths.

Welcome to the 21st century! kotz.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Infotainment at it's worst!

Grotesque!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Jan. 22 2003,17:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">title.image.jpg

Reminds of some televised WWF match confused.gif

Listen to radio if you dont want to see such things.

Oh ya, CBS got the same idea as CNN, but with CBS, its SADDAM SHOWDOWN. A little more personal.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Jan. 22 2003,18:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Listen to radio if you dont want to see such things.

Oh ya, CBS got the same idea as CNN, but with CBS, its SADDAM SHOWDOWN.  A little more personal.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

How about SADDAM SMACKDOWN tounge.gif

Well who doesn't want to watch?

why not " IRAQ : BITCHSLAP " then ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 21 2003,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Huntsville-Alabama

Motorists honking in support for peace as they drive by peace activists are pulled over and given citations by Huntsville police. Officer(s) were filmed saying they do not appreciate the camera filming them.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah you're not really supposed to honk your horn. Which just befoozles me as to why they put them on cars in the first place.<span id='postcolor'>

It is standard practice to honk in support of some demostration. Common sense.

They put horns on cars for communication purposes. You can let another driver know you are aware of him in odd situations or you can let him know to watch out.

Horn is NOT for this: Emergency situation where you might plow into another vehicle. Instead you should use the brakes/accelerator and steering to avoid the collision, then if you have time you may honk if the other driver did not notice all this.

Just saying this because I listen to many collisions happen out my window, they go like: Hooooonk (2s), pshhhh... no braking sometimes. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Jan. 22 2003,06:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why don't more media outlets talk about this import list ?The only thing I have seen about this import list is from cnn,that they can't import water pumps.So they have to drink dirty water.Which causes lots of problems.Now why don't they tell us about this other stuff ?<span id='postcolor'>

Because it's not something Americans would really like to know, and the media wouldn't want them to know either... that's what it's always like. You Americans barely get any international story covered properly. Unless it's some foreign disaster.\

EDIT: smile.gif

That Huntsville story

here

You may also watch the .ram file there

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Jan. 22 2003,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 21 2003,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Huntsville-Alabama

Motorists honking in support for peace as they drive by peace activists are pulled over and given citations by Huntsville police.  Officer(s) were filmed saying they do not appreciate the camera filming them.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah you're not really supposed to honk your horn.  Which just befoozles me as to why they put them on cars in the first place.<span id='postcolor'>

It is standard practice to honk in support of some demostration.  Common sense.

They put horns on cars for communication purposes.  You can let another driver know you are aware of him in odd situations or you can let him know to watch out.

Horn is NOT for this:  Emergency situation where you might plow into another vehicle.  Instead you should use the brakes/accelerator and steering to avoid the collision, then if you have time you may honk if the other driver did not notice all this.

Just saying this because I listen to many collisions happen out my window, they go like: Hooooonk (2s), pshhhh...   no braking sometimes.  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

A few years back, when nurses were on strike and picketing in front of hospitals, they wanted cars passing by to honk their horns in support... well, that didn't last too long.  Police started to give out tickets after a day or two.  Imagine if you were on your death bed, and all you hear are cars honking their horns, while you just want to die in peace. biggrin.gif

And this pass summer, after seems like every world cup match, there would be people driving around honking horns, half their bodies hanging outside of windows while holding flags, etc...  Well, cops had a field day with them.  Almost every car got hit with tickets, and in most cases, none of them were using their seatbelts.  I wonder if they cheered as loud after they got hit with a $100+ fines.

As for me, I dont break for Protesters biggrin.gif

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Jan. 22 2003,13:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A few years back, when nurses were on strike and picketing in front of hospitals, they wanted cars passing by to honk their horns in support... well, that didn't last too long. Police started to give out tickets after a day or two. Imagine if you were on your death bed, and all you hear are cars honking their horns, while you just want to die in peace. biggrin.gif

And this pass summer, after seems like every world cup match, there would be people driving around honking horns, half their bodies hanging outside of windows while holding flags, etc... Well, cops had a field day with them. Almost every car got hit with tickets, and in most cases, none of them were using their seatbelts. I wonder if they cheered as loud after they got hit with a $100+ fines.

As for me, I dont break for Protesters biggrin.gif

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

Those are special cases. smile.gif

Latest developements :

Germany (temporary member of UN security council) will not support war on Iraq but demands more time for inspectors to finish their job. The Washington post did a survey and 70 percent of US citizens appreciate more time for the UN inspectors. To get his country back on track Bush will adress the US public in a nationwide speech on tuesday next week. The next days will bring US citizens a lot of speeches pro Iraq war. Government wants to have support on the war on Iraq.

France´s foreign minister stated that with the proof (or better no proof) collected by now they see no justification for a war on Iraq.

China will vote NO most likely.

Russia is trapped as they don´t want to lose US financial aids and don´t want to cool down the US realtions as they are vital for them at the moment, but they don´t appreciate a war against Iraq.

Blair stated today that if the UN does not support the war they will do it justified or not. He talks of "blocking" which is very stupid when it comes to an international decision of such huge common sense.

Bush seems to have lost his mind partly as he said today that soldiers that are captured during or after an Iraq war will be treated as "war criminals" not "POW´s". Is he really that stupid ? Geneva doesnt seem to be clear to him.

It looks like that:

The fewer justification and support from europe the US get, the harsher and weird the tone of Bush gets.

He isolates himself more and more. Basically this is not good for any country. Even the US will have a hard time when it comes to wars that are neither justified nor under UN mandate. Sure you can do it, but be assured that Europe and the rest of the world will benefit but US will only rise the number of their enemies.

What Bush said today is against any international law and in addition the style of his comments and declarations remembers me more and more of a guy that actually has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

My suggestion:

Drop Bush , not bombs biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Jan. 22 2003,14:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bush seems to have lost his mind partly as he said today that soldiers that are captured during or after an Iraq war will be treated as "war criminals" not "POW´s". Is he really that stupid ? Geneva doesnt seem to be clear to him.<span id='postcolor'>

Uhh, yeeea, suuure. crazy.gif

So if an American GI is captured during the American assault Bush will give him/her the death penalty if he/she is ever rescued? wink.gif Or maybe just a little bit of interrigation using a bit of torture/narcotics. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Jan. 22 2003,14:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bush seems to have lost his mind partly as he said today that soldiers that are captured during or after an Iraq war will be treated as "war criminals" not "POW´s". Is he really that stupid ? Geneva doesnt seem to be clear to him.<span id='postcolor'>

Not sure when or where he said this. Do you have a link? He did say this today however, I am not sure if you are confusing it for your statement or not?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bush said, "Should any Iraqi officer or soldier receive an order from Saddam Hussein or his sons or anyone who occupy the high [offices] of their government, my advice is don't follow that order."

Bush warned the Iraqi military officers and soldiers that if they should carry out such orders, they will be treated as war criminals after the country is liberated.

<span id='postcolor'>

Um, isn't that exactly the same thing? Bush says that those soldiers that obey orders from Saddam will be treated as war criminals.

Has he gone entirely insane? If he does that he will be a war criminal. The Geneva covnetion very strictly defines the rights of POWs. Violating those rights is considered a war crime.

I have just seen the press conference. He said what I posted.

I am not twisting anything. I don´t have a link for the press conference as it is fresh, but you can a lot of boxes with "Made in the US" in the background.

here is the german version:

Warnung von Bush

In einer Rede drohte US-Präsident Bush den irakischen Soldaten für den Fall eines Krieges: Er habe nur einen Rat, sagte Bush: "Ihr verweigert Euch besser den Befehlen Saddam Husseins oder wir werden euch genau so behandeln wie alle Kriegsverbrecher."

translation:

Warning from Bush

In a speech US president Bush threatened the iraqi troops in case of a war. He said: "I only have one advice for you. You better disobey the orders of Saddam Hussein or we will treat you the same way as we we do with any war criminals."

I have not found a video source yet, but turn on your TV . I think it has to be in the news wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Jan. 22 2003,17wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Jan. 22 2003,17:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">title.image.jpg

Reminds of some televised WWF match  <!--emo&confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Reminds me of a Roger Waters album from '92; "Amused to death".

Here's a link to a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?....ing&lr=

EDIT: sorry, I missed the 2 last pages..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 22 2003,14:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Um, isn't that exactly the same thing? Bush says that those soldiers that obey orders from Saddam will be treated as war criminals.

Has he gone entirely insane? If he does that he will be a war criminal.  The Geneva covnetion very strictly defines the rights of POWs. Violating those rights is considered a war crime.<span id='postcolor'>

The statement was regarding the use of WMD against civilians or troops. From a similar statement in October:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bush issued a similar warning in October, when he told a Cincinnati audience: "An Iraqi regime faced with its own demise may attempt cruel and desperate measures. If Saddam Hussein orders such measures, his generals would be well advised to refuse those orders. If they do not refuse, they must understand that all war criminals will be pursued and punished."<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The statement was regarding the use of WMD against civilians or troops.

<span id='postcolor'>

No it wasn´t. I have seen the interview. Better turn on your TV.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (5thSFG.CNUTZ @ Jan. 22 2003,15:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The statement was regarding the use of WMD against civilians or troops. From a similar statement in October:<span id='postcolor'>

Face it, Bush is not cut out for leadership. Maybe only dictatorship.

wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Jan. 22 2003,21wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Face it, Bush is not cut out for leadership. Maybe only dictatorship.<span id='postcolor'>

Right thinking, wrong person.