Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

The Iraq Thread

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 20 2003,04:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">White House confirms that they were cruise missile attacks against targets of opportunity- notably Iraqi leaders. That makes a little more sense, and is probably about the most effective alarm clock ever used.<span id='postcolor'>

Um, Isn't targetting leaders (specific individuals) usually frowned on by the conventions of war?

I could be wrong, but I thought there was an international (unwritten?) law that you are not supposed to target leaders.

Of course this could just be some BS that I picked up somewhere.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Mar. 20 2003,04:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 20 2003,04wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">White House confirms that they were cruise missile attacks against targets of opportunity- notably Iraqi leaders. That makes a little more sense, and is probably about the most effective alarm clock ever used.<span id='postcolor'>

Um, Isn't targetting leaders (specific individuals) usually frowned on by the conventions of war?

I could be wrong, but I thought there was an international (unwritten?) law that you are not supposed to target leaders.

Of course this could just be some BS that I picked up somewhere.<span id='postcolor'>

that's in peace time. Once they do something like that as an overt act of war..it's just that. War.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Mar. 20 2003,04:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">5 minutes<span id='postcolor'>

now lol. Nothing new, just the same old shit. Except for that whole war starting thing.

They are showing live pictures from Baghdad now on Swedish television. Some explosions and some AAA fire are visible.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 20 2003,04:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Mar. 20 2003,04:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 20 2003,04<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">White House confirms that they were cruise missile attacks against targets of opportunity- notably Iraqi leaders. That makes a little more sense, and is probably about the most effective alarm clock ever used.<span id='postcolor'>

Of course this could just be some BS that I picked up somewhere.<span id='postcolor'>

that's in peace time.  Once they do something like that as an overt act of war..it's just that. War.<span id='postcolor'>

OK, that seems to make sense. Thanks.

Good speech Bush made, looks like were at war.

Here is an interesting article written by an Iraqi exile.

A nice counterpoint to those speaking in favour of war.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 20 2003,04:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They are showing live pictures from Baghdad now on Swedish television. Some explosions and some AAA fire are visible.<span id='postcolor'>

yeah its been happening for a while now and some more just this moment??

oddly enough there was a program on another channel here about light aircraft and they were showing microlights.

Couldn`t they be a possible launch pad for a terrorist to launch bio or chemical weapons??Im not seriously saying that such a thing would happen but im wondering if it would be a tactic they might use ?

I just heard an interesting theory:

In order to achieve tactical surprise, the US military has switched SOP to a massive dawn attack on the ground. This sacrifices our technological advantages in the first day or so, but it puts the opponent off-balance. I personnally do not buy it, but it would explain why not a single news service I've seen has had a live report from one of their correspondents attached to combat units in the past 5 hours.

Hmmm "Target of Opportunity"

They apparently tried to kill Sadaam and some of his top leaders in that airstrike.

Are there any web camers or live feeds from Baghdad on the web?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Mar. 20 2003,04:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm "Target of Opportunity"

They apparently tried to kill Sadaam and some of his top leaders in that airstrike.<span id='postcolor'>

Target of Opportunity refers to realtime targeting through drones and satellite. (Oh look, truck, shoot)..

wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (turms @ Mar. 20 2003,04wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its not going to be easy US troops to occupy Bagdad,look at it...Bagdad(big file)

It's actually really big. 16mb big. Beware, 56K users! -Warin<span id='postcolor'>

Thats a pretty city layout wise, to bad someone like Saddam got ahold of it.

edit, the top right corner is, I didnt see the rest of it crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Mar. 20 2003,04:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">check out msnbc.com or cnn.com<span id='postcolor'>

Iraqi live feed, not CNN cut version, thank you smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 19 2003,21:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Mar. 20 2003,04:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">check out msnbc.com or cnn.com<span id='postcolor'>

Iraqi live feed, not CNN cut version, thank you smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

sorry....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 20 2003,04:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are there any web camers or live feeds from Baghdad on the web?<span id='postcolor'>

doubtful i guess ur best bet is the live cams from the news station which may be delayed or even have some slight tampering with before going out onto the airwaves, not that im saying they are but it is a possibility confused.gif

<edit> heh i go to post something and before it gets put up about 5 ppl post ahead of me wow.giftounge.gif <edit>

Fox news was saying that right before the air strikes began there was a guy on the radio in baghdad and as soon as they started, he was cut off and someone said in arabian "This is the day you have been waiting for." confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Mar. 19 2003,19:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fox news was saying that right before the air strikes began there was a guy on the radio in baghdad and as soon as they started, he was cut off and someone said in arabian "This is the day you have been waiting for." confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Command Solos are pretty biggrin.gif

Seems the US is broadcasting on Iraqi troop frequencies as well.

One general I saw (earlier today) suspected that the deadline would pass with nothing happen. He suggested since the night belongs to the US, to make the Iraqi's sweat out the first night, first day, and most of next night. Make them nervous twitchy and stressed basically wondering where and when the attack would come.

Maybe that is the point...

Everyone knows the night belongs to the US and that the beginning night attack has become almost SOP. So why not hit when Iraq is least expecting it. Dawn. When troops are grateful to see the sun, convinced that an attack would come at night just like the last number of US operations. You see the sun, you suspect you are safe. Then the bombs start dropping. That has an incredible psycological effect.

This is scary:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Should war in the Gulf commence, the Pentagon proposes to take radical new steps in media relations - 'unauthorised' journalists will be shot at. Speaking on The Sunday Show on Ireland's RTE1 last Sunday veteran war reporter Kate Adie said she had been warned by a senior Pentagon official that uplinks, i.e. TV broadcasts or satellite phones, that are detected by US aircraft are likely to be fired on. <span id='postcolor'>

Full transcript of the interview with Kate Adie. For you who don't know Adie is one of the most senior British war correspondents.

sun yes but would u also lose the advantage of us having good nightsight and them not ?