Sign in to follow this  
Gunship -OFP-ZONE-

Seb nam pack 2 out!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Nov. 30 2002,06:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Airwolf @ Nov. 30 2002,06:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it possible to stand in the back of the chinook while flying?<span id='postcolor'>

Only if the addon maker makes a "standing" cargo position in the rear of the Chinook.  Otherwise, no you can't walk in and stay inside when the helicopter takes off.  You just fall out unfortunately.   I REALLY hope that in the next patch BIS adds the ability to position vehicles inside aircraft.  That would really add alot to the game.  Also the ability to shoot rifles from the cargo positions would be cool also.

But I expect that those things will be seen in OFP2.    

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

Yea, I managed to stuff a jeep into the back of the chinook but when I tried to take off the jeep acted like it weighed more than a tank and I couldnt get the rear of the chopper off the ground.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Nov. 30 2002,00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the LAW is way, way underpowered.  It takes all three rounds just to take out a BRDM! lol  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

well i havent really read much up on the law, but i have on the RPG-2/7's and there were a lot of duds, they also werent too powerful, and as we cant code duds into ofp lowering the damage is the easiest way of making things fair, and also LAW's are one shot disposable rocket launchers, so be thankful you get 3 rockets tounge.gif

The Hueys can take way too much damage... in fact you can use the M79 bloop gun on it, and it will continue flying! Same with the RPGs as well.

are you sure? its flipping for me when the rpg-2 hits it, and seeing as we have no evidence a m79 can take a uh-1c/d/h down in one shot it seems about right, although i have noticed the speeds are a bit off they should have 238kph for the max speed on the hueys, and the UH-1C should be a bitch to fly, it weighs nearly twice as much as the UH-1D IRL and it uses the same engine (UH-1D loaded: 3855kg, UH-1C: 6,046kg) which is the main reason the cobra was asked for, the UH-1C's couldnt keep up with the slicks, hopefully we can change this for the next patch or at least edit it as i have the hueys going 350kph on my computer which is near the world record (400kph set by a Lynx with experimental rotors)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Nov. 30 2002,11:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Nov. 30 2002,00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the LAW is way, way underpowered.  It takes all three rounds just to take out a BRDM! lol  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

well i havent really read much up on the law, but i have on the RPG-2/7's and there were a lot of duds, they also werent too powerful, and as we cant code duds into ofp lowering the damage is the easiest way of making things fair, and also LAW's are one shot disposable rocket launchers, so be thankful you get 3 rockets tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I should note that modern RPG-7's (depending on the rocket warhead used) can be quite powerful. The RPG-7 still remains a very potent weapon against Russian made tanks. In Chechnya for example many modern T-72 tanks (and possibly newer T80 and T90 tanks) were destroyed with the RPG-7, although possibly with more modern tandem warhead versions of the HEAT rocket that it fires. With that said, the older models they had back during the Vietnam War had serious problems in penetrating M113's and heavier tanks like the M48. But with hits in the right places (like the rear of the tank) they still could be killed with RPG-7's.

Also the LAW is indeed not a particulary powerful rocket, however it should destroy any APC with one shot, although PT-76's were a little more difficult to destroy due to their spaced armor which the LAW rockets had trouble penetrating.

At any rate, I think that perhaps the LAW rocket could be a tiny bit more powerful, but overall I think that the dammage levels are fairly realistic in accordance to the historical period in which they were used.

A good site for info on armor and anti-armor tactics used during the Vietnam War can be found at:

http://www.vwip.org/articles/arm-faq.htm

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (_WTF_onslaught @ Nov. 30 2002,12:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Hueys can take way too much damage... in fact you can use the M79 bloop gun on it, and it will continue flying! Same with the RPGs as well.<span id='postcolor'>

Usually my Hueys went down after 1 hit from an RPG. Also you have to remember that because of the way the dammage engine is run in OFP, it does not simulate penetration levels. Instead it is based upon cummulative levels of dammage so they really can't make the armor on the UH-1 alot lower unless you would like your Huey's to last only a few minutes before they are destroyed by the onslaught of VC or NVA machine gun fire. As it is, usually one or two Huey's go down in most battles I've created.

To Evi... please don't make the UH-1C difficult to fly. Slower yes, but don't make it hard to fly as that just makes people not want to fly it all. I understand that because it was underpowered, it was difficult to fly, but remember this is also a game, and sometimes a little too much realism can make the playing experience unpleasurable if the player is worrying too much about keeping the helicopter in the air instead of trying to get his weapons on target. Leave the handling alone and just adjust the speed if you can please.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

well, i suppose reducing the speed would do it, but at the minute there isnt too much difference between the handling of the cobra and hueys which is why i brought it up, i had a quick look around to find some specs to show why they should be changed...:

UH-1C      UH-1D     UH-1H     AH-1G    AH-1J

Weight:      6,046kg    3,855kg   3,855kg   3780kg   3780kg(?)

SHP:         1100shp    1100shp   1400shp   1400shp  1800shp

Maxspeed:  238kph(?)  238kph    238kph    304kph   304kph(?)

SHP = Shaft Horse Power

(?) = not 100% sure on the figures

also all the pilots have NVG's which i think only jet pilots had, i dont think the helicopters were used at night except when using flares/searchlights (although i believe SMASH cobras and UH-1M's did have night capabilities), anyway these are just some things ive noticed after a long time playing, it is very fun to fly by searchlights and flares, i think the NVG's in ofp are just a hinderance

Any ETA for the air pack, the pack rocks, but with the air pack and armour pack then this will be the greatest add-on yet, and will be for a while, once we get the modules smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Nov. 30 2002,17:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">snip------

also all the pilots have NVG's which i think only jet pilots had, i dont think the helicopters were used at night except when using flares/searchlights (although i believe SMASH cobras and UH-1M's did have night capabilities), anyway these are just some things ive noticed after a long time playing, it is very fun to fly by searchlights and flares, i think the NVG's in ofp are just a hinderance<span id='postcolor'>

True... but in OFP in general I think NVG's are a good thing especially on pitch black nights or heavy cloud/fog conditions where it's very easy to slam into mountains. So I do like my NVG's for flying since we don't have FLIRs in the aircraft.

But for the NAM2 pack, I guess it is a little unrealistic. Like you said, the helicopters didn't normally fly by night accept with the aid of flares or spot lights around the LZ so it's cool with me if you guys take out the NVG's. What do the rest of you all think?

Anyhoo...keep up the good work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

well im not saying these will be changed, just things ive noticed, ill talk to stt about them when i see him, it will take a while to get them all handling well for the user and yet seeing differences in the aircraft, its best if you start giving ideas now as to what we tweak/implement, then we will have a while to work on them

RAF_Maverick: no ETA, and dont hold your breath, as youll be well into decomposition by the time its released smile.gif

right, after searching through 15 pages for the name....

Nagual: ive been playing combat patrol a lot, its good, but a couple of things me and some other people have noticed

1: not enough VC, not nearly enough, im not sure what different ways you could use to make more, maybe respawning dead ones at a random location, and making only 5 or 6 squads, then there wouldnt be too many on the map at once, but it would feel like you are in enemy country (although maybe more than 5-6)

2: i would remove the UH-1C + infantry and replace them with more pink teams, the pink teams are the main focus of play and the UH-1C just ends up lost and not knowing what to do

3: some kind of proper respawn(including vehicle respawn), accidents with helos happen a lot in ofp mp and its not as though the mission has a set objective like 'take the village' its just making your way to the limit by searching/working as a team (which actually works really well with some kind of voice comms)

anyway, great job i love the way it immerses you in the game when you see the VC and the oh-6 guys shout out they see people and pop the smoke smile.gif although at the minute it doesnt happen much hence the suggestions above smile.gif

the ofp-zone.de server is down, was only up for a day or two....not sure what happened to it, ive heard of one over at 101st.org but not sure if its public or not

I'll see what i can do Evis, and post a new verison today or tomorrow (need to hammer out some cutscenes for bas today).

Earlier today i added the flare drop PitViper suggested, and that works well , looks cool.

When mission starts there are only 3 squads and a few mgs on the map, and over 70 VC waiting to spawn from a script as the teams fly over certain areas. As long the dead VC get deleted, there can be many more.

And i will add some random enemy along roads and sampans in the rivers.

Is there a way to get dead Vietnamese (only Vietnamese) people to disappear afte say a minute? Because I'm trying to camcreate soldiers to simulate them coming out from tunnels, and the game lags a lot. Is there a way to make groups be camcreated?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Nov. 30 2002,21:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the ofp-zone.de server is down, was only up for a day or two....not sure what happened to it, ive heard of one over at 101st.org but not sure if its public or not<span id='postcolor'>

The 101st.org server is a VERY good server. Excellent teamplaying people there. They mainly do a nam coops. They have a teamspeak server and its very fun.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Airwolf @ Dec. 01 2002,03:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how is this possible?

Yeahbaby.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Scripting. Of coarse keeping the soldier there is another matter. That was most likely only done for that picture with a lot of trial and error and is not something you can do normally unless they figured out some way to mount a soldier in that position on the rear ramp when he boards the helicopter.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I made the LSSC to fill that role. There's nothing wrong with using Klink's zodiacs. I use them every now and then. It would really just be wasting bandwidth to make an official SEBNam zodiac.

Nagual, thanks for scripting those flares and smokers into your mission but.. could we get SelectThis to make those official "weapons" in the LOACH's?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Nov. 30 2002,23:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there a way to take that trench addon and put a ground texture on top of it and make it emulate a tunnel?<span id='postcolor'>

I saw a Nam mission page somewhere where they did or tried to do just that. Forgot where, though. sad.gif

Otherwise, search The FAQ for "tunnel" and you'll see an attempt that was never released to date, i.e., there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. tounge.gifconfused.gifsad.gif

I believe that the BAS chinook uses a script to keep the person there, a bit like the camera scripts that are available.

PitViper, I tried adding flares to the hueys but the "flare" simulation is a very tricky one to work with (as smoke grenade one), I think it would be easier to use camcreate and setvelocity to simulate them.

SelectThis