K-Town

Arma Dialog Creator - A WYSIWYG Approach to Dialog Creation

Version 1.0.3 has been released. You can download the update from Github or you can use "Check for Update" in Arma Dialog Creator to get it as well.

Thanks to those that have reported the XML encoding issue. It was a disaster of a bug and quite annoying to fix as well. I also appreciate the other bug reports as they are making ADC more stable and bug free. :)

---

Changed:

• Importing will now concatenate old Custom Control Classes instead of complete overwrite the existing Custom Control Classes

Fixed:

EDIT: I also created a Discord for ADC and Arma IntelliJ Plugin. You can join here: https://discord.gg/SPBbYPa

• Thanks 1

Arma Dialog Creator has been updated to 1.0.4. You can download the update from Github or you can use "Check for Update" in Arma Dialog Creator to get it as well.

Fixed:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arma Dialog Creator has been updated to 1.0.5.You can download the update from Github or you can use "Check for Update" in Arma Dialog Creator to get it as well. You can also run adc_updater.jar (double click) to get the update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is really great, thanks for your hard work on this tool!

One question though. Can you somehow import all the base classes from arma (RscText, RscStructuredText,RscPicture, etc) into the editor? I would prefer using the base classes from arma instead of defining the new control classes.

Edit: Found small bug: Dialog's class name is not saved when exporting. It's saved however when editing the export settings.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gc8 said:

This is really great, thanks for your hard work on this tool!

One question though. Can you somehow import all the base classes from arma (RscText, RscStructuredText,RscPicture, etc) into the editor? I would prefer using the base classes from arma instead of defining the new control classes.

Edit: Found small bug: Dialog's class name is not saved when exporting. It's saved however when editing the export settings.

Yea you can totally import all of the base classes, but ADC doesn't support all of the Control types so many of them wouldn't work (they would render a basic shape though). The current import system only converts what is needed. It determines what is needed by converting all Dialogs from a description.ext file and then looking at the inheritance hierarchy. Everything in the inheritance hierarchy will be converted as well. So, you could make a dummy description.ext file with a dummy Dialog. Then in the Controls, create fake Controls that extend each of RscText, RscPicture, etc. Then when you import the description.ext, all of the dummy Controls will be in a project.xml file and all of your base classes (RscText, etc) will be placed in Workspace scoped Custom Control Classes.

Here is an example description.ext that does what I described:

//description.ext file
#include "baseControls.h" //this is the file that contains RscText, RscPicture, etc.

class FakeDialog {
	idd=0; //ADC only requires the idd property to locate dialogs and mark for conversion/importing.
	class Controls {
		class FakeRscText : RscText;
		class FakeRscPicture : RscPicture;
		//do above for each base class you want converted
	};
};

Hopefully that helps.

EDIT: be careful with importing on a non-empty Workspace. If you already had RscText in your Workspace scoped Custom Control Classes, you will get duplicate classes and ADC may inconsistently pick which one to use for other and the current Project/s.

• Like 1

Hi. Is it planned to add the possibility of creating RscControlsGroup type?

On 1/9/2018 at 1:21 PM, DrSova said:

Hi. Is it planned to add the possibility of creating RscControlsGroup type?

Sorry for responding so late. The Controls Group is planned to be supported and ADC internally supports most of it. All that is left to do is the renderer, figure out optional and required types, and test it. I'm currently focused on finishing version 2.0 of Arma IntelliJ Plugin so it may be a while before ADC gets updated.

On 2/5/2018 at 10:06 AM, ShadowRanger24 said:

Are there any plans on adding support for pixel grid GUI positioning?

Yes there are plans to add pixelGrid and such.

• Like 2

I get a not Null error whenever i try and load my EXT File AST$HeaderClassNode,getclassname the stack trace is 

java.lang.IllegalStateException: @NotNull method com/kaylerrenslow/armaDialogCreator/arma/header/AST$HeaderClassNode.getClassName must not return null
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.arma.header.AST$HeaderClassNode.getClassName(AST.java:187)
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.data.HeaderToProject.run(HeaderToProject.java:150)
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.data.HeaderToProject.convertAndSaveToWorkspace(HeaderToProject.java:67)
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.gui.main.popup.projectInit.ImportDialogsDialog$ConvertTask.call(ImportDialogsDialog.java:137)
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.gui.main.popup.projectInit.ImportDialogsDialog$ConvertTask.call(ImportDialogsDialog.java:125)
    at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1423)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

THREAD:Arma Dialog Creator JavaFX Thread

Any way to possibly fix this?

12 hours ago, DanJohn said:

I get a not Null error whenever i try and load my EXT File AST$HeaderClassNode,getclassname the stack trace is 

java.lang.IllegalStateException: @NotNull method com/kaylerrenslow/armaDialogCreator/arma/header/AST$HeaderClassNode.getClassName must not return null
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.arma.header.AST$HeaderClassNode.getClassName(AST.java:187)
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.data.HeaderToProject.run(HeaderToProject.java:150)
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.data.HeaderToProject.convertAndSaveToWorkspace(HeaderToProject.java:67)
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.gui.main.popup.projectInit.ImportDialogsDialog$ConvertTask.call(ImportDialogsDialog.java:137)
    at com.kaylerrenslow.armaDialogCreator.gui.main.popup.projectInit.ImportDialogsDialog$ConvertTask.call(ImportDialogsDialog.java:125)
    at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1423)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

THREAD:Arma Dialog Creator JavaFX Thread

Any way to possibly fix this?

I have a feeling this is related to a class name starting with a number. Look through your description.ext and included files to find a class where a number starts the name (e.g. 3dClassName, 1Button)

ADC has been updated! Wow. It's been almost a year since the last update. This version doesn't change much; you can finally delete Macros now and ADC should work with Mac's as well. There is still some broken functionality with Arma Tools in relation to Mac's, but I don't think there is Arma Tools for Mac's anyways. Maybe I'm wrong though. Who knows.

I recently discovered that adc_updater.jar didn't build correctly with 1.0.6, so if you are using that version, you'll have to manually go to Github and download the newest release.

• Thanks 1

Hi K-Town,

Do you still support the dialog creator? If so, is there any more detailed explanation available on how to use this other than the wiki? 

I can't figure out for instance how to fill a combo- or listbox :).

Cheers

Tiberius

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tiberius_161 said:

Hi K-Town,

Do you still support the dialog creator? If so, is there any more detailed explanation available on how to use this other than the wiki? 

I can't figure out for instance how to fill a combo- or listbox :).

Cheers

Tiberius

ADC is still being supported with a new major version in development currently.

There isn't any ADC related documentation on filling a ListBox or ComboBox because it's done after initialization of the dialog. I would take a look at Bohemia dialog related documentation for this sort of thing.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Dialog_Control

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Command_Group:_GUI_Control

This also seems to be a good 3rd party tutorial tutorial: http://codingsoldier.blogspot.com/2015/11/creating-listbox-arma-3.html?m=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2019 at 7:56 PM, K-Town said:

ADC is still being supported with a new major version in development currently.

@K-Town,  I thought I would just post my thanks to you for all of your efforts to produce this tool.  After many years, I am back developing mission stuff and back in OFP: Resistance days I did a lot of stuff with dialogs, although none of it was actually published, I never actually finished the very over-ambitious mission I was developing at that time, that I think used 3 dialogs and 9 cutscenes in the Intro alone (lol).

I am just finishing off my an ArmA 3 mission, that I was considering using dialogs with and installed your tool which I see is version 1.0.7, that I see you released in 2018.  I have decided not to use dialogs in this mission after all, but I am also developing another one, so am going to experiment with your tool.  I wonder if you are still working on a new major version, or did you have to shelve development?

On 2/26/2020 at 4:53 PM, RichUK said:

@K-Town,  I thought I would just post my thanks to you for all of your efforts to produce this tool.  After many years, I am back developing mission stuff and back in OFP: Resistance days I did a lot of stuff with dialogs, although none of it was actually published, I never actually finished the very over-ambitious mission I was developing at that time, that I think used 3 dialogs and 9 cutscenes in the Intro alone (lol).

I am just finishing off my an ArmA 3 mission, that I was considering using dialogs with and installed your tool which I see is version 1.0.7, that I see you released in 2018.  I have decided not to use dialogs in this mission after all, but I am also developing another one, so am going to experiment with your tool.  I wonder if you are still working on a new major version, or did you have to shelve development?

I am still working on a major version. I wasn't expecting it to take a year, but I went overboard with the code rewriting and I've probably been rewriting 30,000 lines of code. I work 2 jobs spread across 60 hours a week so it's hard to find time and energy for this project as well as my many other projects. I don't think much has changed in the Arma world in terms of dialog, so version 1.0.7 should get the job done in the meantime. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @K-Town 🙂  I really appreciate your hard work and realize what it can be like trying to develop stuff in your spare time.  I have just finished and posted an Arma 3 mission, but I only created a single hand-crafted dialog box in it, although I make extensive use of BIS GUI Message Boxes, which are handy off-the-shelf versions... hehe.

Anyone have a good guide on how to use this iv never done GUIs before I'm just wanting to do a simple welcome GUI with server rules a link to discord and 2 buttons one to close it one to open the discord link