Jump to content
tmynott

High Command Module - MP

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I have used the High Command Module in a multiplayer mission and found a few problems. This was encountered a few months ago and I have taken my time to post this. Potentially these issues might have been fixed.

 

1- Icon colours appear the same for both sides (eg OPFOR / BLUEFOR).

2 - Enemy icons do not disappear when the units are not in line of slight .... This means if you locate one unit you can view its location for the rest of the mission

 

Please could you let me know if this is something that BI are aware of or have fixed.

 

Regards,

 

T.M

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

such a shame!

 

One of the issues with Zeus is that the game master had far more insight into what is going on that a "High Commander" would.

 

For a more realistic feel to missions I would much rather set the game master as a HC over Zeus. Anyway I am sure I am in the minority on this topic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2017 at 7:38 PM, tmynott said:

such a shame!

 

One of the issues with Zeus is that the game master had far more insight into what is going on that a "High Commander" would.

 

For a more realistic feel to missions I would much rather set the game master as a HC over Zeus. Anyway I am sure I am in the minority on this topic.

 

After I got the High Command module working I fell in love with it! I love the way it handles and how you can command from the ground, Zeus is more of a 3rd party commander and you dont really feel in the battle when using it, unlike HC. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played around with it in SP. For some reason, it seems that AI behaves worse under HC waypoints than normally. If BIS made a better UI for High Command (lots of orders and behaviors) and fixed that problem, it could be a really fun game mode. I think that the two big mistakes BIS made in ArmA2 were base building and not making proper use of UAV support. 

 

I think that a good High Command mission should give you all forces right at the start, without any base building. Also, a good number of UAVs to observe the action and spot targets for your troops. The latter could be done using datalink, so that you can directly help your subordinates. Right now, switching between commanding, UAV and supports (also an important factor) is clumsy. Ideally, there would be a single, unified UI allowing your to call in artillery, direct aircraft and ground troops (for example, have troopers board a transport helo, then order the helo to drop them off somewhere else, or paradrop if they have chutes). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

 

After I got the High Command module working I fell in love with it! I love the way it handles and how you can command from the ground, Zeus is more of a 3rd party commander and you dont really feel in the battle when using it, unlike HC. 

 

 

Are you having the same issues as I have had on MP I have found in Single player it works nicely, but on multiplayer if you cant ID different forces through the colour of icons and the units never disappear when out of site (only when dead), therefore it loses its immersion.

 

These two simple bug / features if fixed, would make it a great tool in creating realistic MP scenarios. I personally like Zeus but many of the guys I play with done like it because the Zeus has a full overview of the battlefield and scenario. High commander can give the "commander / game master" a realistic field of view of the battlefield and can make for some gameplay which plays out naturally. What is the point in playing stealthy against a Zeus , they can see you and therefore how ever good the Zeus is they still will have a bias.

 

 

BI* can you confirm if you have finished supporting HC module? I would love to see these features fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Ranger. I will check it out! Sadly cant get back on the PC to test it until the weekend as I am away with work. Will post feedback over the weekend !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have manged to get a chance to check out the Advanced AI Commander! It has some nice features but has the same fault as the vanilla High Comand! You can see see enemies when they are out of sight, even for some considerable time.

 

Please see below.

 

BI, can you let me know if this will ever be fixed?

 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/852720134086081430/AD1A29A0FC0C4FC9F73488DE04162AC2233B14DF/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can indeed confirm that this module is broken in multiplayer to a degree that it breaks the mission, kicks players out giving some error messages about server not having some mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tmynott said:

I have manged to get a chance to check out the Advanced AI Commander! It has some nice features but has the same fault as the vanilla High Comand! You can see see enemies when they are out of sight, even for some considerable time.

 

Please see below.

 

BI, can you let me know if this will ever be fixed?

 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/852720134086081430/AD1A29A0FC0C4FC9F73488DE04162AC2233B14DF/

 

Does Advanced AI commander work in latest release of Arma 3? I kind of seen the author is not working on the mod and it is currently broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you can place certain limitations on your Zeus scenario, like only map view, only group leaders accessible, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2017 at 1:58 AM, fn_Quiksilver said:

just use zeus :)

 

The whole reason why i wont want to use Zeus, is to allow a team of players example (BLUFOR) play against a player / commander (OPFOR) without the commander having all the advantages of running Zeus. Great/unrealistic view over the battlefield, being able to spawn units in. 

 

I appreciate there is a market for market for Zeus but for me i am not a huge fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

limit the max camera height and editing radius?

 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addCuratorEditingArea                <---- Defiine editing area

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addCuratorCameraArea               <---- Define camera area

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setCuratorCameraAreaCeiling     <---- Define camera ceiling

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/removeAllCuratorAddons             <---- Disable zeus spawning stuff

 

Which parts are you having trouble with?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zeus is not High Command. What we were able to do in few clicks in the editor now requires bending Zeus to do something it was never made for.

I also tried to replace HC by Zeus but this can't be done. Zeus units doesn't report ennemy contact visualy on the map like HC did.

 

We need BI to fix the High Command module, and at the same time, I already know they never will.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

Zeus is not High Command. What we were able to do in few clicks in the editor now requires bending Zeus to do something it was never made for.

I also tried to replace HC by Zeus but this can't be done. Zeus units doesn't report ennemy contact visualy on the map like HC did.

 

We need BI to fix the High Command module, and at the same time, I already know they never will.

 

The reporting on HC is real, unlike the slightly fake view you get on zeus! 

 

Zeus is great although HC offers something very different. Shame if it has/ is being phased out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a big difference between Zeus and High Command. I don't know why High Command has been getting no love, its an amazing module that can be used in so many ways. It allows you to command from the front while in the fight, Zeus can't give you that. Zeus is RTS styled gameplay, which doesn't suit Arma very well at all. Zeus is great for making missions flow, placing new objectives etc.. But when it comes to commanding troops, High Command has it down pat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

commanders IRL have zeus-like real-time interfaces, i think with a bit of work it could be made usable for high command, such as getting enemies showing on its map

 

the same developer who made high command made zeus as well, i sincerely doubt anything else will be done for the high command system. i poked around with it some time ago, and luckily it is external SQF system so it would be possible to modify, fix and improve it, but likely bohemia will not spend resources on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2017 at 3:03 PM, tmynott said:

I have manged to get a chance to check out the Advanced AI Commander! It has some nice features but has the same fault as the vanilla High Comand! You can see see enemies when they are out of sight, even for some considerable time.

 

Please see below.

 

BI, can you let me know if this will ever be fixed?

 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/852720134086081430/AD1A29A0FC0C4FC9F73488DE04162AC2233B14DF/

 

Tmynott, you probably had high command running at the same time. My advanced ai command mod doesn't actually show enemy positions. It just shows groups on your side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 10:22 AM, tomhighway said:

 

Does Advanced AI commander work in latest release of Arma 3? I kind of seen the author is not working on the mod and it is currently broken.

 

Yes, it still works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×