Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 02 2003,08:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and sadly I think FB will get here before it...<span id='postcolor'>

Don't be too sure, I just checked with EB, and it seems that in Canada we're not getting it till the 8th sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 03 2003,00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 02 2003,08:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and sadly I think FB will get here before it...<span id='postcolor'>

Don't be too sure, I just checked with EB, and it seems that in Canada we're not getting it till the 8th sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

ARGH!

Well, I will bug the software chick up at Future Shop on Tuesday and see what she can tell me!

And hoppefully my stick will be here mid week smile.gif

I bet that rig will work like a hot damn for Mechwarrior 4 as well. And flying low and fast helo flights in OFP. I have always found using the collective to be a pain when I have to use other controls for manual fire and such. If I can map them all onto the hotas I will be much happier!

Alright, I'm probably going to return my Sidewinder and get a X45.  

I was playing EECH a little bit today, and I came to the conclusion that modern air warfare suxxors, with new-fangled gadgets like "radar" and "FLIR" and "Infra red heat seeking missiles. And everything is super vulnerable! One missile takes down a super expensive fighter? Pfft!"

I'm definently enjoying WWII era combat alot more.  All we need now is a good WWII tank sim...  smile.gif

Two days to go... two days to go....

HOLD ON!!!!!!!

You got your Sidewinder 2 to work with Commanche Hokum??

How??

EDIT: well, I can get mine to work also, but only by installing a beta patch that makes my entire system massively unstable.

the d9 will be my plane of choice, me262 one to learn and when spitfires show up it will reign surpreme. La7 will be worse than a la5fn this thing is fast very fast on the deck faster than a k4 and 3 23mm cannons. A la9 is here in NZ at an airshow on the 8th march its got 4 23mm cannons its pretty much an all metal verson of la7.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Mar. 03 2003,06:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the d9 will be my plane of choice, me262 one to learn and when spitfires show up it will reign surpreme. La7 will be worse than a la5fn this thing is fast very fast on the deck faster than a k4 and 3 23mm cannons. A la9 is here in NZ at an airshow on the 8th march its got 4 23mm cannons its pretty much an all metal verson of la7.<span id='postcolor'>

as usual, I can barely figure out what you are talking about smile.gif but it sounds interesting

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Mar. 03 2003,06:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when spitfires show up it will reign surpreme. La7 will be worse than a la5fn this thing is fast very fast on the deck faster than a k4 and 3 23mm cannons.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't see how that makes the la-7 "worse" wink.gif. It will be interesting to see how the Spitfire compares to the Yak-3 when it shows up. I don't recall the Luftwaffe ordering it's pilots to avoid dogfighting Spitfires smile.gif.

With the Jug, Dora and K4 there some really good high alt fighters. I wonder if there is a way to drag the dogfights up to alt instead of on the deck. Guess you could have a 'bomber stream' dogfight mission where one side has to protect the bombers vs the others that will shoot it down. That's only way I can think of to keep people up where they are supposed to be smile.gif

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Mar. 03 2003,20:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">With the Jug, Dora and K4 there some really good high alt fighters. I wonder if there is a way to drag the dogfights up to alt instead of on the deck. Guess you could have a 'bomber stream' dogfight mission where one side has to protect the bombers vs the others that will shoot it down. That's only way I can think of to keep people up where they are supposed to be smile.gif

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

Now that is a cool idea! I dont understand why everyone seems to think dogfighting 'on the deck' is a good idea. I mean, one stall or spin, and you are a smoking hole in the terrain! Other than ground attack, I know I'd want a couple thousand feet of empty air under me, to have time to recover!

Are most online IL-2 dogfights low and fast?

They go low becuase it takes a while to get up high and with all the fighting sapping altitude they all seem to end about 1000 or lower.

ps, give me some combat tips cos i suck at fighting ppl online and they ALWAYS managge to get on my tail no matter what i do crazy.gif

Typically, most of the air battles on the Eastern front took place close to the deck. This was mainly due to the the fact that most of the air war was conducted as a ground support operation.

The West was a different matter, with great air battles taking place at great altitudes, more likely due to the large bomber raids, and the lack of a CAS airforce. (Sort of changed after D-Day)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 03 2003,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now that is a cool idea!  I dont understand why everyone seems to think dogfighting 'on the deck' is a good idea.  I mean, one stall or spin, and you are a smoking hole in the terrain!  Other than ground attack, I know I'd want a couple thousand feet of empty air under me, to have time to recover!

Are most online IL-2 dogfights low and fast?<span id='postcolor'>

Most dogfights on the Eastern Front were at low altitude. While Germany and the Western allies concentrated on high-altitude fighters and bombers, the Soviets concentrated on close air support - low altitude attack planes and low altitude fighters to support them. I for one like low level dogfighting - It's been a favourite tactic of mine to drag enemy fighters down to the deck in most flight simms I've played. I find that most AI and many humans for that matter can't handle it and either don't maneuver as hard as they should for fear of crashing, or they fly into the ground. In Il-2, being able to dogfight at low level, as a Russian pilot, is a great skill to have, as it is what the Russian planes are best suited for.

FB just arrived, going to try it and post how it is..

see you on hyperlobby

Argh.

ARRRGH.

And when I say argh, what I really mean is goddamnedfutureshopnotorderinganamazingnewgameontimesonowilikelywontghaveituntilsometimene

xtweekattheearliest.

And of course, there is one main Mall in the city I live in. And their rents are so insane that EB wont come here, so I am stuck with Futureshop.

Sorry..had to vent

I still can't believe you bloody yanks are getting it before us! Bloody marketing

Still the release of OFP made up for it.... Ho ho ho

The flight sim grail that is FB ought to be in my dirty little fingers by this time tommorrow, and I will have my beloved Hurricane, P47, and P51 *insert evil laughter here*

I just ordered from UBI.com, and its going to be two days until it gets here. Why they dont have overnight delivery, I will never know. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 03 2003,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The flight sim grail that is FB ought to be in my dirty little fingers by this time tommorrow, and I will have my beloved Hurricane, P47, and P51 *insert evil laughter here*<span id='postcolor'>

I think of all the A/C in FB, I am looking forward to the Thud more than any of them. I just love the D variant with that monster bubble canopy. It doesnt have the sleek grace of a mustang or a spitfire, but it is a flying tank. smile.gif In fact, I think i am going to stop at Wal Mart tonight and pick up a cheapo P-47 model kit to slap together and sit on my PC tower to inspire me while I wait for the game!

Its a travesty! I have to wait until the 20th of March before FB see's the light of day in Australia sad.gif Why can't publishers catch onto the idea of world-wide releases to keep everything fair?

The one good thing is that its a lot cheaper than I expected, its not a full price game. Only going to cost $60 AUS instead of $80 or 90.

Hvae fun and tell me all about it.

Better be worth the wait or I'll sue Oleg Maddox for damages.

Oh well, by the time I get it, the first patch crammed with new planes should be about to come out smile.gif

Yeah, that kills me: I'd have to pay 50+ dollars US for the distinct displeasure of playing MS Conbat Flight Sim 3, but Il2 FB will only cost $40 US. Damn that rules smile.gif Same thing for OFP, it only cost 39.99 when it was launched. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that both developers are Eastern European? Less overhead maybe? Who knows? Maybe Suma can tell us why they charge me 10 dollars less than usual for two of my favorite games of all time.

Hey,

Looking at the IL2 website, they are going to have A/C with multiple positions.

We should form up a Forum crew if they ever make the B-17 flyable, set up a teamspeak server, and go to town on all those cocky fighter jocks smile.gif

edit:

To me, a multi position B-17 is the Holy Grail of WWII flight sims.  The idea of 9 guys flying together and working as a team to fight of the Hun in the Sun would just kick some major ass.  Of course, it would have to be the G variant smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Mar. 03 2003,22:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I still can't believe you bloody yanks are getting it before us! Bloody marketing

Still the release of OFP made up for it.... Ho ho ho<span id='postcolor'>

even if OFP was buggierr on the euro release.

well at least OFP and FB aren`t console games from japan.

They go from japan to the US(with waiting period then cuts) then probably everywhere else before it reaches europe where it gets a shitty conversion job so it works on pal tvs which CAN handle 60hz confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 04 2003,07:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey,

Looking at the IL2 website, they are going to have A/C with multiple positions.

We should form up a Forum crew if they ever make the B-17 flyable, set up a teamspeak server, and go to town on all those cocky fighter jocks smile.gif

edit:

To me, a multi position B-17 is the Holy Grail of WWII flight sims.  The idea of 9 guys flying together and working as a team to fight of the Hun in the Sun would just kick some major ass.  Of course, it would have to be the G variant smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I know someone over at the IL-2 Center forums was making a B-17 (Can't remember what model), although I can't say if they planned to make it a flyable plane, I think they might have been.

*Edit* Here is the link to the info on the B-17 been made

B-17 by Stg77

*click B-17 from the list of planes*

Looks like its an earlier model, as I cannot see the chin remote controlled turret. Wait, ti does have one, must be a G model then, rejoice!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Mar. 03 2003,12:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They go low becuase it takes a while to get up high and with all the fighting sapping altitude they all seem to end about 1000 or lower.

ps, give me some combat tips cos i suck at fighting ppl online and they ALWAYS managge to get on my tail no matter what i do  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Remember speed=life. Myself I am terrible at complex flight manouvers so I'm more of a boom and zoom type of guy. As stated the fight is usually on the deck so spend some time flying away from the action when you take off and fly up to 3000-4000m. It only takes around 5 minutes and helps set up yourself for success. When you get to the action, sit back and take it in. What people as you circle and pick your target. Some one that is locked on a teamates tail is a good target because they won't be looking around themselves. Just dive down and gain speed. My personal rule is to never bank past 45-60deg to follow a target. If you lose the target just use your speed to climb back up onto your perch. I like to climb under WEP to gain back as much alt as you can. Back on your perch you can open your rad and throttle back to cool off, just remember to close your rad on the next dive so you can gain as much speed as you can. Some people like to dive below their target and get them on the climb, I like to hit them during the dive. If you see someone higher than you diving down on you after you extend away from the fight I find just diving away from the action usually is enough for them to lose interest you. No one wants to spend a long time chasing a single plane away from the action. After you disengage you can regain your alt and go back to the action. Since you aren't manouvering as much you can bring gunpods because you then don't need that much time to knock a plane out of the sky. A late 109 or 190 with 2 Mk108 under the wing will disintigrate any plane if you get them in your sites. Just learn to lead your target in the dive and have them fly into your bullets smile.gif Great fun.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Mar. 04 2003,03:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A late 109 or 190 with 2 Mk108 under the wing will disintigrate any plane if you get them in your sites. Just learn to lead your target in the dive and have them fly into your bullets smile.gif Great fun.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

Damn bro, when FB comes out we should do some flying on HyperLobby- the hardest part about BnZing is not having a wingman in the Rotte position to keep the bad guys off your 6