Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 05 2003,16:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Goddamnit!! Apparently some people in Toronto found it at Compucentre Today!! So naturally I go crazy on my cellphone, But Compucentre in Ottawa isn't getting it till Tuesday! sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Bad timing! I know the feeling...

well u can always pitch a tent outside urr local games shop and have a little spitfire hanging from the to to keep u company biggrin.gif

re:the french capmgin, ran do u mean the normandie-niemen one confused.gif

I really am hoping that the 20/3 (3/20 for the Americans) release date for FB here is wrong, and the shops website just hasn't been updated, but it unfortunetely it's probably true.

Its sad, in America you can go and buy the game, but people in some parts of the world have to wait two weeks longer. Feel our pain!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 05 2003,22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Goddamnit!! Apparently some people in Toronto found it at Compucentre Today!! So naturally I go crazy on my cellphone, But Compucentre in Ottawa isn't getting it till Tuesday! sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Damn, I live 15 min. away from that place but i don't think i can make it in time, have a lot of work to do. sad.gif

I'm REALLY sorry, but I cant post any screen shots. I dont have webspace, and even then I'm not computer savy enough to post them.

But I will summarize the aircraft I've flown so far, and edit this post often until I've hit most of them.

The ME262. Take off is a little weird, since it veers to the right until its gained a good bit of speed. The four cannon are suprisingly innaccurate, and offer a pretty big spread. However, at close range, they are still beastly. The only problem is how sensitive you have to be with the throttle so you dont blow up the engines,I and its engine vulnerability. A single bullet will cause it to burst into a full out flame. But this is the only plane that I'm capable of solo fighting a LA7 and actually winning smile.gif OH! And before I forget, you CAN outfit the ME262 with those rocket racks smile.gif

The FW190D9 is pretty good. It carries a good bit of ammo, and is relatively fast. It doesnt seem to bleed off too much energy either, which is a good thing. I found it has a nasty tendency to fall into a stall EVEN WHEN BARELY TURNING!!! But this unfortunate characteristic is found on all FW190 series in the game. sad.gif The MW50 device is handy though, especially when you are trying to climb and engage P51's tounge.gif

The TB3... OMFG... this thing is a BEAST!!! I fired no less than four 30mm. rounds into its wing, and the thing kept flying! The only thing that took it down were a pair of rockets from my ME262. Its SHvak gunners roxxor, and its low speed allows it to drop bombs with a suprisingly high degree of accuracy. Its maximum payload is a 1000 kg bomb, and 14 smaller ones (50kg I believe...)

The HE111 is sort of peculiar. The pilot position feels odd to me, especially at takeoff when I have trouble keeping my aircraft centered along the runway. The HE111 is poorly armored when compared to the TB3. I dont know how the hell to bomb accuratley with this plane! You have to input the height of the bomber, the speed of the bomber, then you have to point the crosshairs at your target and press some button, then when you overfly the target you designated, the bombs release. Or at least thats how its SUPPOSED to work... I have had no luck at all with this plane, which is really a shame sad.gif

The Ju87G is my second favorite plane now. Its dual 37mm. cannons can take out a T34 in a single burst if you hit it from behind, and two bursts if you hit it from the side. The only real problem with these otherwise excellent guns is that you only get about 12 rounds sad.gif The rear gunner's machine gun is a HUGE improvement over the one used on most German bombers, and shoots very quickly, and without the smokey tracer effect.

I dont really like the BF109K4, because as soon as I went into WEP mode, the damn engine became inoperable :O I know theres probably a reason for this, but rather than check, I just went on to another plane.

I havent flown it yet, but the P47 is literally a flying tank. Six shots in the fuselage were required to take it down, and that was with MK108's. The version I fought had eight .50 machine guns, which tore through my HE111 like a knife through butter.

The P51D... is really weird... I dont think its AI is working properly, because it keeps trying to get away from my ME262 tounge.gif But when I try to fight it in a prop plane, I get my ass handed to me. It can get on your six o'clock, and it will stay there. No matter what. Its six .50's tear through most AC, and it carries tons of ammo too!

K, I'll go test some more Russian and American planes and post back here in a few minutes.

I have just one question at the moment, whats the new damage modelling like? Anything new noticable?

Aaron I believe with the K you have to be at a certain altitude before you use the wep. It's water ejection if I remember correctly and is a high alt boost. At a lower alt you damage the engine.

COLINMAN

yeah, it is the same in the BF109 Z variant. You can't be below about 6000 feet (or is it meters) or you will damage the engine

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OH!  And before I forget, you CAN outfit the ME262 with those rocket racks smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Thank you Aaron Kane.

This is driving me crazy.gif , that we find in an OFP space the infos impossible to learn about FB since the words exchanges in the Il-2 forums are repetitively senseless and useless, most of them.

I have a favor to ask to you please.

Would you please tell me, just if you know or already noticed , about loadouts and related air to ground things :

- Is an AB 1000 ingame ? If yes, with same " SD1 like " submunition as in Il-2 previous AB ?

- New loadouts for the Ju-88 ( heavier, maybe SC/SD 1000 available ? ) and the 190F8 ( compared to A5/U3 ) ? Some rockets except WfGrt 21 ?

- Is it possible to release in two times submunitions of the Il-2 ( when all of the 4 bombs bay are used ) and select bombs release order for the stuka and 190F8 ?

- Is it no more possible to release a bomb throught the propeller ring without any dammage ?

- Are the tanks using machine guns against aircrafts ?

- How many new ground objects in tanks, Artillery and flak please ?

- In the FMB, is the fonction " time out " for stopping temporarily moving grounds objects is now working ?

- Did you notice if the ground objects AI in ground to ground warfare is better ?

- Is it possible via the FMB for AI and human pilots to make planes starting from tarmac and taxiing ?

Other new thing we do not think about ??

Best regards

Last, could you try straffing Su-76 and ZSU-37 with a 190 and tell what happens with Mg151-20, and then M-k103 please ?

AI Hs-129 with Mk101 and Bk 3.7 against T-34 ? ( interest mainly at rear side of tanks )

I ask this because there is rumors about AP ammo being modelled now for those weapons biggrin.gif

How's the Yak-3 now?? From what I hear, my baby's better than ever, and with the new damage model, low ammo is no longer an issue biggrin.gif

To-va-ri-sh .......

What are you doing behind your computer's keyboard and screen WHILE you should run across Canada or even the whole north american continent to find FB and make screenshosts and reports to your beloved OFP fans brothers ??  mad.gif   crazy.gif    wink.gif   tounge.gif

Well, since you ask, I'm spending the good part of my March Break at college, coding away, trying to finish a scanner for a compiler before this Friday, which was due last Friday but only 3 people out of 65 finished biggrin.gif. So in short, I'm not hunting around for FB because life sucks sad.gif. Otherwise I'd gladly take a little roadtrip to Brampton, Toronto or wherever else in Ontario FB seems to be available. smile.gif

When flying with a Yak 3 ( for example biggrin.gif ) right behind a 110 at low speed, are turbulences created by other planes now modelled ??

weeeeee, called EB, and they got their shipment in an hour ago. In an hour or two FB will be mine...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 06 2003,18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, since you ask, I'm spending the good part of my March Break at college, coding away, trying to finish a scanner for a compiler before this Friday, which was due last Friday but only 3 people out of 65 finished biggrin.gif. So in short, I'm not hunting around for FB because life sucks sad.gif. Otherwise I'd gladly take a little roadtrip to Brampton, Toronto or wherever else in Ontario FB seems to be available. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I was just kidding Tovarish, not seriously asking, but my bad english do not helps me confused.gif

Best luck and courage for your work, and then, damn, grab FB at least before me, poor european ! crazy.gif

P.S. I hope no, this would be too much ironical : Wouldn't have you been late in your job because you played Il-2 too much ?? tounge.gif

Lol thanks for your wishes Maradeur. No, I don't think Il-2 affected my work (not much anyway). Bah, looks like I might possibly finish it tonight. At least I hope.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maraudeur @ Mar. 06 2003,17:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OH!  And before I forget, you CAN outfit the ME262 with those rocket racks smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Thank you Aaron Kane.

This is driving me crazy.gif , that we find in an OFP space the infos impossible to learn about FB since the words exchanges in the Il-2 forums are repetitively senseless and useless, most of them.

I have a favor to ask to you please.

Would you please tell me, just if you know or already noticed , about loadouts and related air to ground things :

- Is an AB 1000 ingame ? If yes, with same " SD1 like " submunition as in Il-2 previous AB ?

- New loadouts for the Ju-88 ( heavier, maybe SC/SD 1000 available ? ) and the 190F8 ( compared to A5/U3 ) ? Some rockets except WfGrt 21 ?

- Is it possible to release in two times submunitions of the Il-2 ( when all of the 4 bombs bay are used ) and select bombs release order for the stuka and 190F8 ?

- Is it no more possible to release a bomb throught the propeller ring without any dammage ?

- Are the tanks using machine guns against aircrafts ?

- How many new ground objects in tanks, Artillery and flak please ?

- In the FMB, is the fonction " time out " for stopping temporarily moving grounds objects is now working ?

- Did you notice if the ground objects AI in ground to ground warfare is better ?

- Is it possible via the FMB for AI and human pilots to make planes starting from tarmac and taxiing ?

Other new thing we do not think about ??

Best regards<span id='postcolor'>

K, I'll try and answer these questions.  If I leave any blank, it means I'm going to test them smile.gif

1)  There is no AB1000 ingame.  It is rather annoying that the largest bomb the Germans use ingame is a mere 500 pounder sad.gif The Russian TB3 can carry four 1000 kg bombs, and either the P40 or the P47 can carry a single 1000 pound bomb smile.gif

2)  The Ju88 isnt available as flyable yet, but I'll go check the game to see if the AI version has any new loadouts.  And for some STUPID reason, the F8 variant of the FW190 has no rockets whatsoever.  It is really dumb, because if your read the aircraft info page, it says that they should be able to mount rockets.  I believe its the same rocket model as the ME262, but I'll check again to make sure...

3) I dont believe you can change the release order for bombs.  However, each time you press the bomb release key or button, a bomb drops.  

4)I'm honestly not sure...  confused.gif

5) Tanks are still using their cannon against aircraft, but they dont track you nearly as easily now.  In about an hours flighttime with a Ju87G, I have yet to be hit by a tank maingun smile.gif

6)There are three different Hungarian tanks I believe, and LOTS of new ships.  And while I'm on the topic of ships, these things have been through a MAJOR damage model reconstruction process.  In a track that comes with the game, it shows Ju87B's bombing and disabling the individual turrets on the battleship Marat!   wow.gif

7) I'm not sure...

8) I'm not quite sure.  The AI appears to be about the same.

9)Nope sad.gif  Unfortunatly, they start airborne each time sad.gif

10) Yes!  There are BRAND NEW sound effects played all the time!  Like now, when a flak round goes off near you, you can actually hear the shrapnel smacking into your aircraft! Most aircraft flight models have been redone completely. There is no generic "Boost/WEP enabled!" message anymore, it states the particular device being used. So in the FW190A8, you get the message "MW50 enabled!"

The dynamic campaign is awesome! The campaigns are much better this time around, and if you destroy enemy aircraft, you are much less likely to face that type of aircraft later ingame. But the same can be said for your side, so its possible for you to be flying missions solo if you take too many casualties in your squadron, so be careful.

The enemy AI is absolutely devious now. I was going against a Yak9U in a FW190, and he would go into large wide circles climbing slowly, then dive down on me using his height advantage to get a few shots off on me. Then he'd zoom away, and begin more of those wide circles using his aircrafts excellent climb to keep his distance from me until he felt like attacking. He used the same strategy against my ME262 and BF109K as well. Its good to see the AI using their aircrafts particular strengths ingame smile.gif

The German flight AI has remarkably improved as well. FW190's and ME262's are actually very serious and very deadly opponents now, since the AI uses the aircrafts strengths to their advantage. Wingman AI is extremely good now, and as long as you cover your wingman's 6 o'clock, you'll do very well in fights. For example, I normally get the shit beat out of me when I solo a LA7 or Yak9U with any German plane. But when I do a 2 vs. 2 fight, we can take out enemy planes MUCH more easily. Me an my wingman were flying ME262's, and we took out four AI P51D's, with all AI set to "average" mode. The wingman AI has improved very much from the older game.

The ONLY thing I dont like about the new AI is that the enemy makes head on passes with guns blazing very often, and with an unrealistic degree of accuracy. They do this on Average skill levels, so I imagine they'd do it on higher skills too. But oh well, other than that I'm EXTREMELY pleased with the game. smile.gif

Woohoo !! :O biggrin.gif

I can't believe, you did it !

Many, many thanks Aaron Kane ! Y'oure great ! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1- I agree with you, shame that the loadouts do not offers wider choice. (actually we just have max 500 Kgs bombs max , ineffective SD1 submunitions in dispensers AB250 anb 500 only... )

I believe i will start lobbying in Mr Maddox's ready room for this, and more about related ground warfare biggrin.gif

2- For the Ju-88 IA, yes, please check would be welcome ! smile.gif

For the 190F, do not search anymore, It should carry at least two different generations of Panzerschreck and two more of panzerblitz ( one not often, in small numbers at the very late stage of the war ). Plus of course the 21cm WfGrt.

But, In Il-2, the AI do not know to aim with, bad adjustment, always too long upwards. mad.gif

3 - sad.gif

5 - Ok, thanks, a guy at Il-2 official forums said tanks were now using machineguns !

I had big doubts about this ... and his claims for having FB lol !

You cleared that ! Thank ! smile.gif

8- yep, do not loose time trying it, if at the firts looks it seems it's the same AI for ground objects, it's the same...

I was just hopping.... sad.gif

9- Starting airborne, yes, in the Quick Missions Builder they always do that and that only ; but in the FMB, some speaks and screenshoots let think that, maybe this could be edited....

Let's hope smile.gif

10 - Great ! smile.gif

I can't wait ! Still 14 days argh LOL !

Again and it is not enough, Thank you very very much Aaron kane ! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 06 2003,23:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">smile.gif  smile.gif  smile.gif

Installing now...

give me an hour or two to start posting pics<span id='postcolor'>

hey Tovarish!

nah nah nah nah nah~~ nah... tounge.gif

i wonder if FB will get me back into flight seem. I' so out of it now.

maybe this summer. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 06 2003,23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey Tovarish!

nah nah nah nah nah~~ nah...  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Lol unfortunately getting Forgotten Battles ASAP isn't  my biggest worry sad.gif. I have to get this program working by tomorrow at 2pm, and so far it's only good for outputting 269mb text files to my student drive  crazy.gif

Tex, please post some interior pics of the I-153 smile.gif.

Things keep getting worse for poor Tovarish.

I have in my hands a copy of FB. I went to FS to check on its status, and before I could talk to the software hotty, what did I see but FB!

w00t.

Now I cant wait the 7 hours till I am home to install it and play! Argh!

Just had confirmation that it's out in my town, no chance of picking it up tonight though sad.gif

LOL. My boss picked up the game box, and read the quote on the front.

'..the most visually stunning and fluid representation of aerial combat ever..' Andy Mahood, PC Gamer

He frowned and said 'Whenever I see a quote like that about a game, I know what it really means. This game is freaking hard!

I almost laughed my ass off.