Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 05 2003,02:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I will gladly take that action  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

When ever you're ready my friend biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 05 2003,02:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 05 2003,02:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I will gladly take that action  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

When ever you're ready my friend  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Beware the Jugs... especially when they come in pairs tounge.gif

Any worthwhile Jugs always come in pairs biggrin.gifwink.gif.

Seriously though, I think this is why there always seems to be so much hollering about undermodelled planes in the Il-2 forums...people just don't know how to use them properly. Took me a while to use the P-39 without spinning it regularly, but once you know just how far you can push it in a turn, it's a kickass plane. As some p-39 pilots in the Il-2 forums say "She likes to be treated like a Lady"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 05 2003,03:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Mar. 04 2003,10:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">they wernt ordered not to fight them just discouraged not to fight them below so many meters, there was no actual order.<span id='postcolor'>

the German High Command issued a directive instructing Luftwaffe pilots to avoid combat with "those Yakolev fighters which have no oil cooler on the nose and have an inclined aerial mast".

Ok...so not ordered, directed smile.gif. I was just responding to the fact you said the Spitfire would "reign supreme", and I simply pointed out that no such directive had been given to Luftwaffe pilots about the Spitfire smile.gif.

Yak-3

yak3-1.jpg

Yak-9U

yak9-plate1.jpg

Spitfire Mark XIV

spitXIV-plate2.jpg

I wouldn't expect the Spitfire to turn quite as well as the Yak-3, after all, the Yak-3 was the smallest and lightest of all Allied fighters during WWII. However the Spit had better armament and longer range, and I would expect better high-altitude performance. I'd really like to see it in IL-2, it was my favourite fighter in Aces over Europe, and by all rights, the number of Spits used on the Eastern Front justifies them much more than the Mustang. Note of interest though, the Spitfires used by the Soviets were phased out as soon as enough Yak 3's and 9's became available.

<span style='color:red'>*edit*</span> changed Spitfire Image from Mark I to a more contemporary variant to the Yak-3/9<span id='postcolor'>

I wouldnt expect a spit XIV to outturn a yak3, the XIV is a heavy spit heavyer than a k4, but it climbs very fast similar to k4 still turns great and with clipped wings will out roll everything but the 190, it has a powerful arment the hispanos were really sumthing. Germans wernt discouraged to fight spitfires because early in teh war they had advantages in speed and climb, the spitv went a long timeoutclassed by 109s and 190s until the mk9. I would reckon a spit be better than yak3 in il2.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Mar. 05 2003,04:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wouldnt expect a spit XIV to outturn a yak3

I would reckon a spit be better than yak3 in il2.<span id='postcolor'>

what I meant to say is I don't believe any Spitfire variant could outturn the Yak-3. After all, the driving force behind the Yak-3 was to provide a fighter with the best turn rate possible. Basically take a Yak-1b, strip off as much weight as possible, incorporate aerodynamic improvements and lessons learned from early yak-9's, and that's what came out. Just look at the size difference between the Spitfire and Yak-3.

When you say better, better at what? I would agree that any Spitfire had better armament than the basic Yak-3 in Il-2, but then again, we don't have the Yak-3T, which by the way was more heavily armed than the Yak-9T in Il-2 smile.gif. Climb rate and high altitude ability would also go to the Spitfire, but those were of little importance to the Soviet air force in WWII since most air combat took place at very low altitude. Range would go to the Spitfire as well, but then again, that's why the Soviets also built the Yak-9. If you look at the drawings I posted, the late Yak-9's look almost exactly like the Yak-3, but are bigger. It's a similar philosophy that caused the Soviets to build the MiG-29 and the Su-27,

climb rate would be a big factor, even at low alts, german planes could escape in a climb easly over a yaks, but with a spitfire they cant, turning rates shouldnt be too far different but what makes spit overall better in most areas is speed, climb, firepower, acceleration, roll rate etc. The VVS needed plaens good at low alt not super tight turners, the VVS planes were better in most ways to german planes down low not just turn. A clipped wing spit XIV would be a very deadly plane in the east.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 05 2003,00:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WEEEEE

<span id='postcolor'>

I thought you'd like that one, ran smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Robert Delin is a distant relative he was a pilot , he flew during the two last campaigns of the normandie , so , i have a certain respect for the GC/3 Normandie/Niemen pilots

and :

you have to read some books about the GC/3 and its WW2 campaigns , i'm not too fond of aviation , but this story is simply amazing

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Mar. 05 2003,12:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and :

you have to read some books about the GC/3 and its WW2 campaigns , i'm not too fond of aviation , but this story is simply amazing<span id='postcolor'>

I'll do that. This is another thing I love about Il-2. If you read the campaign mission briefings and do a little research on the events, you get a great history lesson. I knew next to nothing about Normandie Niemen before I got this game.

wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 05 2003,02wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The cannon fir button is above the default POV hat, and every time I reach for it, I look out the left side of the AC!<span id='postcolor'>

Move your hand up a little bit so that you index finger is on the 'fire c'-button and your middle finger is on the trigger. I find it much more comfortable to operate the stick that way. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 05 2003,15:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Mar. 05 2003,12:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and :

you have to read some books about the GC/3 and its WW2 campaigns , i'm not too fond of aviation , but this story is simply amazing<span id='postcolor'>

I'll do that. This is another thing I love about Il-2. If you read the campaign mission briefings and do a little research on the events, you get a great history lesson. I knew next to nothing about Normandie Niemen before I got this game.<span id='postcolor'>

is the GC/3 campaign included in all the retail versions ?

i thought it was only included with the french version smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Mar. 05 2003,17:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">is the GC/3 campaign included in all the retail versions ?

i thought it was only included with the french version smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It isn't, but like I said, you play the campaign, you become interested in the history, you dig deeper on your own...and there dosen't seem to be a single website on the Yak-3 that dosen't mention Normandie Niemen smile.gif

P.S. Didnt even know there was a Normandie Niemen campaign. Is it available for download somewhere?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 05 2003,17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Mar. 05 2003,17:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">is the GC/3 campaign included in all the retail versions ?

i thought it was only included with the french version smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It isn't, but like I said, you play the campaign, you become interested in the history, you dig deeper on your own...and there dosen't seem to be a single website on the Yak-3 that dosen't mention Normandie Niemen smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hehehe smile.gif

the french version of IL2 has a whole campaign about the Normandie

and the most interesting part of the GC/3's story is the way the pîlots and ground personnal reached russia and the secret about them and their destination smile.gif

it was one of the only , if not THE only western unit on the eastern front

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Mar. 05 2003,18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the french version of IL2 has a whole campaign about the Normandie<span id='postcolor'>

The French version has 3 campaigns? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 05 2003,18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Mar. 05 2003,18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the french version of IL2 has a whole campaign about the Normandie<span id='postcolor'>

The French version has 3 campaigns? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i don't remember really well , but 1 thing is sure , we have a GC/3 campaign

Quelle cauchemar!

Dosen't look like they made that campaign available to the rest of us sad.gif

how do campaign files work ? i may be able to send it

I now have the game, and can make the following analysis. The graphics engine is REMARKABLE to say the least! It appears that every single aircraft has been redone.

The ground units not have trouble finding your aircraft, so tanks are no longer your biggest threat.

The ME262 awesome. Words cant describe it. Other than the word "fragile" tounge.gif

The Dora roxxors.

The HE111 is vulnerable, but still a blast to fly.

But my real new love is the Stuka with dual 37mm. cannons. Its a dream come true smile.gif

*goes off to kill a few more T-34's*

POST SOME SCREENSHOTS dammit! biggrin.gif

Even on the Il-2 forums , all that's been posted is a few P-47's and a Dora shooting down a Mustang....where's the Hurricane, the La-7, the I-153....where are the demonstrations of the awesome new damage models we've all been hearing about?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 05 2003,15:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 05 2003,02wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The cannon fir button is above the default POV hat, and every time I reach for it, I look out the left side of the AC!<span id='postcolor'>

Move your hand up a little bit so that you index finger is on the 'fire c'-button and your middle finger is on the trigger. I find it much more comfortable to operate the stick that way. <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I figured that out last night. smile.gif I also found the tension setting for the throttle on the bottom of the stick. The default from the factory is way too stiff, and lossening it up made a lot of difference.

To anyone looking for a good stick, get the X-45. It lacks force feedback, but it is quite simply amazing not to have to take your hands off the sticks to do pretty much anything! And the programming software totally rocks! I fiddled with a Flashpoint profile that makes flying helicopters way easier. All I need to do now is set the mouse controller on the throttle up to do mouse look, and I will be cooking!

Future Shop still isnt sure exactly when they are going to have FB. They have a shipment coming in Friday night, so I am hoping it will be on that. Going to check back tomorrow.

My EB still doesn't have it mad.gif Despite their telling me that they'd have it today. I neeeeed my FB

Goddamnit!! Apparently some people in Toronto found it at Compucentre Today!! So naturally I go crazy on my cellphone, But Compucentre in Ottawa isn't getting it till Tuesday! sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 05 2003,22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Goddamnit!! Apparently some people in Toronto found it at Compucentre Today!! So naturally I go crazy on my cellphone, But Compucentre in Ottawa isn't getting it till Tuesday! sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL!

Replace FB with Heroin.

Now read the last few pages.

Makes you think, doesnt it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 05 2003,22:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Replace FB with Heroin.

Now read the last few pages.

Makes you think, doesnt it?<span id='postcolor'>

LMFAO you're completely right biggrin.gif