Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Lest we forget...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We should welcome the opportunity that Remembrance Sunday gives us to focus, sharply, on the real cost of war. War can be "just" but is never to be entered into with enthusiasm or haste. It provides moments in which the best and worst aspects of human behaviour can be witnessed and where emotions and relationships can be very intense. Amidst its turmoil it is impossible to have a clear view of war but Remembrance Sunday provides a chance for a more measured, if still emotionally-charged, looking-back.<span id='postcolor'>

110920028235398.jpg

110920028254521.jpg

http://www.army.mod.uk/ceremonialandheritage/household/Remembrance.htm

RIP and THANK YOU for giving us peace and freedom.

Here in Canda we celebrate Rememberance Day on November 11th.  On the anniversary of the moment that the First World War ended, people all across our nation join together in a moment of silence to remember all the men and women who have given their lives in service of our nation.

This year is particularly poignant, as Canada has suffered it's first combat casualties as a nation since Korea.  The mother of one of the four soldiers killed this year is in our nations Capital.  She gave her only son in service to our country, and so she has been selected to represent the mothers of all of Canada's war dead at the rememberance ceremonies in Ottawa.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Lt. Col. John McCrae, M.D. (1872-1918)

Canadian Army

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This year is particularly poignant, as Canada has suffered it's first combat casualties as a nation since Korea.  <span id='postcolor'>

Don't forget, more than a few Canadian troops have died in Peacekeeping missions over the years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, these figures are just off the top of my head. I think Canada lost 60,000 men in WWI, and another 50,000 in WWII. 907 of those were at Dieppe.

Lest we Forget.

Tyler

There have been Canadians killed in Peace Keeping missions. The casualties in Afghanistan are consider casualties of a war, so it is a slightly different situation.

Which brings into question the definition of war. If you need peacekeepers, would you not say that you have a lack of peace, and therefore war? (usually in the final stages with the diehards on both sides still trying to kill each other no matter what)

*sighs*

Listen... is it possible that we can keep this topic apolitical? The concept here is to, in our own ways, remember those who have served their nations in times of conflict. Not to discuss philosophy. If you feel the need to do that..please start another thread.

Thank you.

I did not mean to get political and I apologize if that's how it came across. I just meant to point out that our peace keepers are in essense no different than other members of our armed forces and those who have fallen should also be remembered.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 10 2002,05:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I did not mean to get political and I apologize if that's how it came across. I just meant to point out that our peace keepers are in essense no different than other members of our armed forces and those who have fallen should also be remembered.<span id='postcolor'>

Now that we can agree on smile.gif  Sorry for jumping to conclusions.  It has been a really introspective year in my life... when I've thought about the state of the world..and so it's nice to be able to step back and give respect to those who have paid the ultimate price for their nation... without thoughts of 'was it right?' or 'why did we do it?'  And at the same time remember that for every grieving family here, there are also the families of those we might call 'enemy' and that they too must bear the pain of their memories...

And in this we can all be united... the show of respect and admiration for these people.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Nov. 09 2002,05:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here in Canda we celebrate Rememberance Day on November 11th.  On the anniversary of the moment that the First World War ended, people all across our nation join together in a moment of silence to remember all the men and women who have given their lives in service of our nation.

This year is particularly poignant, as Canada has suffered it's first combat casualties as a nation since Korea.  The mother of one of the four soldiers killed this year is in our nations Capital.  She gave her only son in service to our country, and so she has been selected to represent the mothers of all of Canada's war dead at the rememberance ceremonies in Ottawa.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Lt. Col. John McCrae, M.D. (1872-1918)

Canadian Army <span id='postcolor'>

Very nice text you posted, where did you find it, i saw the same thing in a museum when i went to Bastogne a while ago...

It is a poem that was written by a Canadian Army surgeon during the battle of Ypres in World War I.

Anyone interested can read the story of how the poem was composed on this site..

i was on the front rank of our ATC sqaudron during the rememberance day parade today.

lest we forget sad.gif

For the next few days, let us remember all of those who died in combat. Canadians, Americans, British, and all the other nations. We shall be proud of our homes, and be proud of our military. We shall remember the brave, the young, and all soldiers of all wars.

Lest we forget.

Just so you all know; in Canada, Flanders Fields is a very famous poem that every Canadian knows or at very least knows of. Its even printed on our new $10 bills.

I`m a little late, sorry for that!

But it comes from my heart! Remember the ones who fought and had not the luck to return alive.

Lest we forget.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cybrid @ Nov. 09 2002,22:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just so you all know; in Canada, Flanders Fields is a very famous poem that every Canadian knows or at very least knows of. Its even printed on our new $10 bills.<span id='postcolor'>

Wow i didn't know that, very nice....

You know what... Americans know how to remember their war dead better than Canadians. In the US of A, they get Memorial Day and a Veteran's Day. That's 2 days off for remembering those who served and died in wars.

In Canada, war veterans and dead get one minute of silence and a poem.

Whoopie.

If I had a day off in May and in November, not only would I be playing more OFP, but I'd might attend a memorial service, or listen to some Vets talk about how their service changed them. As it is now, just shutting up for one minute doesn't make me want to care or remember any much more.

-=Die Alive=-

*don't mind me, mostly the stress and lack of sleep talking*

Lest we forget

Well, Die Alive. I just lost ALL respect for you with that statement. Right now I'm just going to quote something said by someone I know on another forum:

I'd like to point out the fact that today (November 11th) is the day that we here in Canada remember our soldier for what they have done, the thousands that dies over the years and we hope that it doesn't hapen again. Rememberance Day is supose to be somthing about Peace, not war, or bickering about who's military is better tha whos, or what country you are from.

It is supose to remind us of all the shit that happened in wars, all the people who have been killed from them and the pointless reasons for it all.

If there were no Borders, there were no small mindedness, no hatred, based on looks or nationality, then we would have progressed into a much more productive culture in the Universe and perhaps as a whole, we would find solutions to our everyday problems, like starvation, poverity, homelessness, desease, cancer, violence.

Rememberance Day means more than just remembering the battles and the victories. It's not even about that at all. It's about remembering the senslessness of war and waste of life for a purpose that was not needed.

Thinking about How good our military is/was, or all the victories we had won over the enemy, is just as bad as thinking about how much of a good attack the Trade Center Crashes were.... Mass Violence, War, Murders, Strategic Attacking is somthing that we no longer need in scociety. If people would just open their eyes and open their minds, they would realize how much of a better place this world would be if the fighting just fucking stopped.

It's not as impossible as trying to save a child from Africa from starving, or paying a whole bounch of money. You don't even have to do anything. Just refuse to fight. Refuse to attack those whom you hate. If one person shows a peacful side to themselves, so will another, and another, until it spreads globally and others that are less fortunate, see another side of life, besides war and violence."