Pan Samogon

Retro AR madness{WIP}

Hello.I've in mood to make models again,so now I've trying to satisfy my gun maniac addiction.

I've trying to do not start this thread untill it's actually will be done... but im stuck.Since IRL I had access only to AK-74M,I have no idea about tinny AR details.

So despite model looks good(But not perfect,trust me),I still have think they have incorrections.So I would be appreciated for any info about it as well as guides to improve it's quality.

Right now I have only M16A1,but Carabines(based on THIS receiver) and UGLs are planned,probably even bayonets.

HP Renderers:

Spoiler

UenotzR.jpg

XtV9zIU.jpg

WdObwEd.jpg

YRuqcwK.jpg

pJKgIcK.jpg

5sDMcbz.jpg

zlMpSxQ.jpg

sw5lU23.jpg

q3XFODx.jpg

Hope I'll finish this,but still,I have lots of things todo IRL,so don't expect it too soon.

• Like 9

Models look great mate! Looking forward to seeing more

• Like 1

There is really no issues on this HP?Probably I am the only one gun maniac here :P

This thread created specially for searching for issues by community,so don't be shy,post all incorrect things you found.Cuz if I go further I probably can't fix these issues as I can do so now.

Actually I have a question.What's average polycount for a weapon in ArmA3.

Since I've start creating LP,now I have around 7k tris on the lower receiver(Without grip,buttstock and mag,just receiver),I'ts still a lot.But as well,I wish keep quality standart for 2017.

nice model , just keep sure to have nice smooth edges instead of sharp - that will help alot when baking the normal map

also gun like M16A1 - 7k tris should be the whole thing :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, roberthammer said:

nice model , just keep sure to have nice smooth edges instead of sharp - that will help alot when baking the normal map

also gun like M16A1 - 7k tris should be the whole thing :icon_biggrin:

seems to be nothing changes since 2007 in case of tris count.

Hello.I have 2 news one bad,one good.

The bad is - I found incorrect geometry(Mostly broken smoothing) in receiver.It was unable to fix,so I decided to fully recreate front part of lower receier.Now it's far much simplier in case of mesh topology and it should be correct.There also was some problems on Upper.The good is - I actually done lower receiver already.

Spoiler

m16a1_6.jpg

m16a1_5.jpg

m16a1_4.jpg

m16a1_3.jpg

m16a1_2.jpg

• Like 2

Really nice! I suppose the textures will be on the same level.

P.S. Are you using mesh smoth parameter to make those angles curved?( Cuz in my case it's working not properly!)

18 minutes ago, Rayko said:

Really nice! I suppose the textures will be on the same level.

P.S. Are you using mesh smoth parameter to make those angles curved?( Cuz in my case it's working not properly!)

Since it's only HP(And Upper Receiver still have smoothing errors) - I have a lot of work todo untill I even start make textures.

And it's 3 iterations of Turbosmooth.It's all works the same,just add extra supporting edges at corners.They will keep the shape.This video explain what I mean.And if you do so,make sure you don't have triangles or n-gones.Quads only.Otherwise you will have smoothing problems.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pan Samogon said:

Since it's only HP(And Upper Receiver still have smoothing errors) - I have a lot of work todo untill I even start make textures.

And it's 3 iterations of Turbosmooth.It's all works the same,just add extra supporting edges at corners.They will keep the shape.This video explain what I mean.And if you do so,make sure you don't have triangles or n-gones.Quads only.Otherwise you will have smoothing problems.

Yep, now it works! Thanks! Now i'm getting ready for "out of memory" errors!))

Just be aware that you make the edges more round and more soft than they would be in real life. Otherwise the normal map bake would not get all the lightning information it needs.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Blackscorpioz said:

Yes. Can you give wireframe of the model? Always like to study other artist wireframe how they build their models.

Im definitely not a pro in case of perfect wireframe,just trying to make as artifacts less invisible and keep quad so model.Ill must rewire upper receiver,cuz it's looks shamefull,there also was some smooth artifacts I must fix.BTW,I have 2 screens and im lazy to cut another screen so just enlarge it.

• Like 2

Some problem I see is something with the cage. The black lines where the hard edges are you have proabably no "uv seem" there. they are proabably stiched together.

Here is a real easy basic and explanations with most baking problems: http://www.svartberg.com/tutorials/article_normalmaps/normalmaps.html

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blackscorpioz said:

Some problem I see is something with the cage. The black lines where the hard edges are you have proabably no "uv seem" there. they are proabably stiched together.

Here is a real easy basic and explanations with most baking problems: http://www.svartberg.com/tutorials/article_normalmaps/normalmaps.html

Yes,you were right.Since HP and LP have slighly diffirent geometry this happens,and I actually forgot about the cage.

Chagning the cage makes less missed rays.

it's all just testing btw.Trying to remember how to make stuff.

m16a1_1.jpg

Also seem standart skyline render is awful for baking.Strange things happens.

m16a1_2.jpg

Okay, first of all you are rendering a object space normal map, not tangent space. 

Second, it seems that your LP is in some areas bigger than the highpoly, and in some areas smaller. That creates those black lines that you can see on the bottom.

Can you show your baking setup?

Heres a tutorial that I would advice you to check out and watch.

• Like 3

Spoiler

m16a1_2.jpgm16a1_1.jpg

Yeap.Here you are.

edit.Im actually rendering tangent space normal map.This one is just normal filled UV map.Just because I like to read this such way.

your hp model needs to fit inside your cage. it seems it doesn't.

as tips and trick, you hp mesh should also fit inside your lp mesh as much as possible for a cleaner bake to be easier to achieve

lo.jpg

A lillte update.Slooooowly making low poly.Yet it still not low enough if we look at counter.

Yet not reached success in baking.

• Like 3