Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Artillery shell shot down by laser!

but Sadico, a telescope receives rays and doesnt have to calculate a direction. A little bit of fluctuations of air temperatur can guide light into a different direction. ALSO depending on the heigt that the plane flies in you have to consider that ozon is a ray-killer!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 06 2002,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If this system can infact detect something as small and fast as an artillery projectile, not to mention have the capability of destroying it, then think of what it can do against airplanes.  They're much bigger and slower so targetting their engines/fuel tanks/weapons and melting them to hot shit wouldn't be a problem right ?<span id='postcolor'>

Being slightly simple but wouldn`t a mirror just deflect the laser beam ?? Im sure some sort of disperal or deflector counter measures could be used on planes to make them less vulnerable.

I know, but they use the same technology. For example in the USAF Airborne Laser, the mirror's shape changes about a thousand times per seccond to compensate atmospheric distortions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Nov. 07 2002,23:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Adaptive optics i guess. That lasers use computer-controlled deformable mirrors to shape the laser beam and focus it on the target. The atmosphere distorts the beam and without that, the range of the laser would be very limited because most of it's energy would be lost. That technology was developed quite recently for use in telescopes.<span id='postcolor'>

I`ve heard that the type of technology could be used for eye treatment.

I don't think you can deflect enough energy from a powerful laser beam, it will probably just damage the reflective surface and then go right through...

I don't see how an entire aircraft or missile could be made so reflective either... and the goal so far has been to make them absorm as much as possible not to be detected. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Nov. 08 2002,00:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know, but they use the same technology. For example in the USAF Airborne Laser, the mirror's shape changes about a thousand times per seccond to compensate atmospheric distortions.<span id='postcolor'>

I get what you are saying, and I am sure that this technology is the base for the future projects. But adapting to external changes is easier than to pre-calculate them.

It doesn't precalculate them, you know. You can't predict turbulences (chaos theory and all that shit), but you can correct errors extremely fast.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I don't think you can deflect enough energy from a powerful laser beam, it will probably just damage the reflective surface and then go right through...<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, i don't think you can reflect a multi kilowatt (or even megawatt) laser for a long time with today's technology. What about a plasma generator like the russian "plasma stealth" to absorb the radiation (electromagnetic radiation can't go through plasma)? It is far too big for an arty shell, but it could be used with aircraft and ballistic missiles.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Nov. 08 2002,00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It doesn't precalculate them, you know. You can't predict turbulences (chaos theory and all that shit), but you can correct errors extremely fast.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I don't think you can deflect enough energy from a powerful laser beam, it will probably just damage the reflective surface and then go right through...<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, i don't think you can reflect a multi kilowatt (or even megawatt) laser for a long time with today's technology. What about a plasma generator like the russian "plasma stealth" to absorb the radiation (electromagnetic radiation can't go through plasma)? It is far too big for an arty shell, but it could be used with aircraft and ballistic missiles.<span id='postcolor'>

Could be, maybe it even takes incoming rays as information input for the ray that goes out!

Kinda weird....... this is exactly what happened when the Union and Confederates did during the civil war with the Iron clads. After they were developed every naval vesel on the earth became obsolite with the developement of the rotating turrent it no longer mattered how many guns were carried on a ship, it was how big they were. Planes can have these defence lasers and shoot down any incoming conventional projectiles. But then again, the other side might have defence lasers as well and shoot down the aircraft. So the planes will have to be stealth or have to have some sort of anti laser thing. confused.gif

they could cover planes w/ those heat resistance tiles that are on the bottom and around the nose of a space shuttle.

I don't think that tiles could stand a high energy laser for a long time. confused.gif

i was watching TLC channel,they was taking about air force one.They had these weird like things under the planes.I wonder if that was an laser.

I'm curious, even if a laser didn't destroy the projectile, wouldn't the scoring of the warhead change the aerodynamics enough that it would fall short, or veer off course?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Nov. 08 2002,13:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think that tiles could stand a high energy laser for a long time.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

well that aplies to every form of armor, a Abrams couldn't be invalnerable to consitrated attacks from RPGs. but having some is always better than non. besides you would be surprised just how much heat those tiles can absorb from the atmosphere, that and they cool very quickly.

You can easily evade the laser by keeping a distance.

Btw such a laser needs a tremendous power supply, so its practically useless if you put it on a tank. You'll be needing a convoi of several trucks carrying battery packs and power generators. Don't mention the magnetism the power generator generates which are easily seen from an orbital satelite.

the U.S. missle defense system is supposed to have satalights armed w/ these lasers that could target any rocket that launches and destroy it, as a resault the nuclear matrial will fall back down on whom ever fired it. the only problem is that its quite in the works, matter of fact i think its still on paper.

Negative Buck Rogers. Only Anti - and Anti-anti Satellites.

They bring down other satellites with regular weapons.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Necromancer- @ Nov. 09 2002,02:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can easily evade the laser by keeping a distance.

Btw such a laser needs a tremendous power supply, so its practically useless if you put it on a tank.<span id='postcolor'>

I read in another sight, Hereis a link says they can shoot over 8 miles?

It was a chemical laser wasnt it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Nov. 08 2002,03:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">they could cover planes w/ those heat resistance tiles that are on the bottom and around the nose of a space shuttle.<span id='postcolor'>

or how about it ejected those tiles or other anti-laser material the same manner as chaff on fighter jets

Define weapon. Anything can be used as a weapon. a 2 by 4 can be used as a weapon.