tpw

Config Errors Displaying

Yeah, awesome when one is doing a dive-down attack and at the moment one needs to pull up one of thos msgs pops up. Even better if it's a mission without respawn :P

Being someone that always plays without respawn, I appreciate the excitement you get if your game complains about some house destruction effect not working while your missile warning starts to blare at you :)

• Like 3

I dont think so. I died 100+ times beacuse of this in MP. Specially in aircrafts.

Yep, this is the most annoying thing which I mentioned before in one of my posts, which was dismissed by a joke. These pop-ups can be an immersion breaker same as a mission breaker (in a sense that people that play with no-respawn will have to restart the whole mission). It doesn't stop the simulation for you in MP and if you're a pilot that is trying to land, well, RIP crew. Can't say it happened to me a lot, but happened a few times in a middle of a firefight against armored vehicles.

I'm all for detailed logging of anything that is wrong with the game, but not in an obtrusive way. Be it systemChat or that black-bar thing or quake like console as long as it doesn't block the UI.

I have to stress that my first suggestions was made based on how much time BI can actually spend on this. So I tried to suggest the easiest solution, make the option to disable it. I'm all for completely revamping the whole system. But will they go for it with the limited resources they have? I doubt.

• Like 3

But will they go for it with the limited resources they have? I doubt.

Well, I don't think their resources are as limited as we believe. Arma 3 and the Apex are top sellers on Steam.

I just hope we could soon see at least a dev reply and tell us if this is even something they consider to work on in the future, because if not, than this discussion is a waste of time.

• Like 3

It shouldn't be too hard to have the error message pop-ups eliminated from MP in where they may wreak the most havoc (chat messages there would be good enough I guess). Didn't even know they happen there, that's just dumb.

I myself am not in favor of making error messages optional, completely defeats the purpose. I have never understood the decision to make -showScriptErrors optional either :h: (and OFF by default ffs..)

The in-game console could be nice, would be very useful to have a real-time access to the .rpt so a +1 vote there.

I guess we could learn from old Apple and have a huge duck quack happen on an error and a big ! (as vasily suggested) pop-up somewhere and clicking on the icon would reveal the error message :P

Less intrusive bit would make the error known :confused:

And please yes, way more info on error messages in any case, there's a ton to do with error handling in any regard, some of my pet peeves:

- First and foremost, not a single scripting fault should cause application hang or CTD; at least in 1.62 some of them did, can't remember which ones but at least add3DENConnection would CTD the game when passing null-object as one of the params (might have been some other 3DEN commands too, so some look-around wouldn't be a waste).

- Scripting errors in eventhandlers don't tell us in which eventhandler it happened in (including addeventhandlered ones as well as expessions). Shouldn't be too tall an order to amend nowadays..

- You can still CTD the game with description.ext f'up (I guess it was fixed for most of stuff but IIRC f'ing up with kbtell and all the stuff added in A3 are still prone to this).. <_<

- There literally no error handling for particle array (nor any other command getting an array as param), you accidentally give erroneous data in for example setParticleParams array and all you get is some vague <setParticleParams error number should be array> or something like that, and there's like 20+ elements in that array so happy hunting.. . Also, if you accidentally pass a null-object as 'particle attached to' parameter in particle array the game only spews out an error 'can not load object' both as a pop-up and in .rpt and who the hell knows what that means when there's like hundreds of thousands of objects in the game world :rolleyes:.. Reminds me of early Mikero tools when an error message would just say "No!" upon error  :D (hilarious at first, not so much later on)

- Really wouldn't mind if sqf throw/catch stuff would actually allow for catching real scripting errors.. (well this is a way to tall an order I guess). :ph34r:

• Like 2

I am still plagued by this very error message on start up. Is there any way to find out which mod is causing this other than disabling one by one? Is there really no log that shows which mod caused the error message?