tpw

Config Errors Displaying

but is forcing the user to aknowledge the error and click ok in the middle of actual gameplay really the best approach?

Yeah, seen this e.g. on Tanoa/Vanilla ArmA, some texture has not been loaded. I didn't even see a missing texture. It was my decision not to report it, because other tasks...

You answered the question. No, it is not the best aproach. It's genuinely ArmA. A message as in systemchat "blah"; would have been enough for me.

• Like 1

agree ... error reporting OK... but please BIS make it less intrusive....  PLEASE ? PRETTY PLEASE ??  PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE ??? PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE ????  (hoping it will help in getting a less intrusive error reporting system :P )

• Like 1

But whats the problem with making those report optionally? If someone wants to support mod makers, he will turn this on, if someone wants to play game once per week and dont see popingup messages, he will turn it off simply as can be? Plus this casual player playing game once per week wont support mod makers as much as every-day-player. People seeing bug without error will get more reason to REPLICATE BUG with messages turned ON, then user will be able to define if it was one time bug (unable to reproduce) or repeatable bug which need to fix.

so i have the same config scope error message popping up for al least two month now...each and every time i load up the game. At least i don't get mid-game interruptions. Error reporting in a less intrusive way is absolutely fine. Better yet, we really need a comprehensive error reporting system that clearly shows which mod and what init causes the issue. I have abpit 100 mods running for in SP and i recon i am lucky it works that great except that startup error message everybody is getting. We either need the option to shut up or calm down the error reporting system, but better yet, the game needs to provide us with a proper message that doesn't send us on an arduous goose hunt.

Right now, i would have to go through the tedious process of narrowing it down by first unselecting the lower half (50mods in total) and see what happens. Then another 50% of those...and so on. When i think i have found the culprit, i load it up individually to find it working without issue, only to discover it makes problems in conjunction with another mod. 

My question; Would modders greatly benefit from a error reporting system that clearly outlined what causes an issue, or would it simply be easier for players to send a friendly message to a mod author that goes beyond ....''your mod causes this or that error message''? 

But whats the problem with making those report optionally? If someone wants to support mod makers, he will turn this on, if someone wants to play game once per week and dont see popingup messages, he will turn it off simply as can be? Plus this casual player playing game once per week wont support mod makers as much as every-day-player. People seeing bug without error will get more reason to REPLICATE BUG with messages turned ON, then user will be able to define if it was one time bug (unable to reproduce) or repeatable bug which need to fix.

Why, oh why are you offended by a few error messages on your screen? You make it sound like the game is insulting your mother every time it pops an error message in your face.  Every error is a problem, one that needs addressing. Your own enjoyment of the game is equally affected by this. I really cannot understand why some people are so outspoken against error messages.

Bluntly put, I only care about the first group you mention - the people wanting to support mod makers. And this support takes the form of making decent bug reports so that modders can fix their issues and players can enjoy their mods without problems. You see this as a problem? I don't.

Why, oh why are you offended by a few error messages on your screen? You make it sound like the game is insulting your mother every time it pops an error message in your face.  Every error is a problem, one that needs addressing. Your own enjoyment of the game is equally affected by this. I really cannot understand why some people are so outspoken against error messages.

Bluntly put, I only care about the first group you mention - the people wanting to support mod makers. And this support takes the form of making decent bug reports so that modders can fix their issues and players can enjoy their mods without problems. You see this as a problem? I don't.

I writed it few times and i will repeat. I launch game once per week, for 2 hours, i want play, not report anything, beacuse i dont hanve time for detailed error descriptions, and aquiring which mod causes the issue. There are tousands of palyers who launch this game more often and can report it. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

• Like 1

I launch game once per week, for 2 hours, i want play, not report anything, beacuse i dont hanve time for detailed error descriptions, and aquiring which mod causes the issue. There are tousands of palyers who launch this game more often and can report it.

That's perfectly fine. It will always be a smaller group of people who support product/mod x in a way that they make bug reports or even register at some bug reporting platform. The by far biggest ArmA community is not even here and will very unlikely report bugs here. It's Life. :D
  • Like 1

That's perfectly fine. It will always be a smaller group of people who support product/mod x in a way that they make bug reports or even register at some bug reporting platform. The by far biggest ArmA community is not even here and will very unlikely report bugs here. It's Life. :D

Optionally is good for me and for you.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I understand that you cannot make a point without staying civil. You should understand that if someone has a different opinion than you, it does look bad if you have to resort to yelling.

Do you understand?

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

I writed it few times and i will repeat. I launch game once per week, for 2 hours, i want play, not report anything, beacuse i dont hanve time for detailed error descriptions, and aquiring which mod causes the issue. There are tousands of palyers who launch this game more often and can report it. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

You do realize that making one proper report of this error ONCE might lead to the removal of the error?

If you have time to play for two hours, what are two minutes of writing how and when the error occurred and hit the "send PM" button?

You act like this will ruin your day or give you a stroke.

Heck, even writing a post takes longer.

Cheers

You do realize that making one proper report of this error ONCE might lead to the removal of the error?

If you have time to play for two hours, what are two minutes of writing how and when the error occurred and hit the "send PM" button?

You act like this will ruin your day or give you a stroke.

Heck, even writing a post takes longer.

Cheers

With 2 minutes i can report the bug on wrong thread, beacuse I MUST AQUIRE where the bug is, in mod X, or in mod Y, or maybe in 20 others.

I understand that you cannot make a point without staying civil. You should understand that if someone has a different opinion than you, it does look bad if you have to resort to yelling.

Do you understand?

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

I have diferent opinion, as many others, and option i have proposed would satisfy all of us.

• Like 1

what are two minutes of writing

We all know 2 minutes are a nice theory, but only a theory. Things have to be failsafe. You have to figure things out yourself first. You may have to do divide and conquer kind of hunting for a troublemaker. You may get asked or attacked for reports being incomplete. You have to test again, come back, yadda yadda. You may need to register at some feedback forum. The registering confirmation mail does arive late... You may need to answer on "this has been reported multiple times, learn to search"... etc etc...

So let me please correct: 60 Minutes and the gaming focus gets lost.

• Like 1

We all know 2 minutes are a nice theory, but only a theory. Things have to be failsafe. You have to figure things out yourself first. You may have to do divide and conquer kind of hunting for a troublemaker. You may get asked or attacked for reports being incomplete. You have to test again, come back, yadda yadda. You may need to register at some feedback forum. The registering confirmation mail does arive late... You may need to answer on "this has been reported musltiple times, learn to search"... etc etc...

So let me please correct: 60 Minutes and the gaming focus gets lost.

Hehe, exacly! Cheers!

I have diferent opinion, as many others, and option i have proposed would satisfy all of us.

Let's do it like this, then - no error messages for you if you are using the vanilla game. If you are using mods, error messages will be displayed. Gives you the option to not see error messages by simply not using the addons. Win-win situation.You don't need to have error messages, and mod makers don't get useless error messages like "it's broken".

• Like 1

Another thing that's utterly annoying, is the fact that every error msg copies its content to the clipboard, replacing whatever was stored in there. This does not only apply to those config error msgs but also to other warnings displayed that way. A simple "Copy" button would solve that issue.

• Like 3

Please no more buttons. It's the worst part of the error system having to stop the game to aknowledge that the error exists before you can carry on. What can't it just be put in the rpt file?

• Like 1

Please no more buttons. It's the worst part of the error system having to stop the game to aknowledge that the error exists before you can carry on. What can't it just be put in the rpt file?

You'd be surprised how many people don't even know that exists.

I think we can all agree that the way errors are reported right now is not good for anybody. For example, the way that script errors are show on screen in a non-movable timed text box is not helpful for the scripter that wants to read that stuff. The way the same error is reported in the RPT file is a mess. Config errors pop up a dialog box that stops the game and need to be clicked away, which is especially annoying in multiplayer since you cannot react.

What really needs to happen is a way to

a) Direct awareness of the user to an error in an unobstrusive way (no click button). The user must be aware that an error occurred and act accordingly if he wishes.

b) Provide a way for people that are interested in the error message to read it without trouble. This essentially means being able to open up a window where you can scroll up to the error messages, and potentially filter for error, warning, and informational messages.

Right now, your RPT can get very long and depending on what you have loaded (missions etc) it may well be very cluttered. Finding the error you just saw is sometimes impossible since there has already been a slew of other, unrelated messages  It really doesn't satisfy anybody.

• Like 2

I see great option.
- Delete error messages completly from game ui, just place (!) icon.
- In map ui create new tab named "ERRORS" - user will be able to read whats wrong, scroll the message, and it never disapear.
- in RPT files create sub section for errors.

• Like 1

I see great option.

- Delete error messages completly from game ui, just place (!) icon.

- In map ui create new tab named "ERRORS" - user will be able to read whats wrong, scroll the message, and it never disapear.

- in RPT files create sub section for errors.

That's actually similar to an idea I had. I would not add it to the map interface though, but rather to the main menu and make it accessable via the editor and debug console.

The new menu should have a history, with date and all vital information, e.g loaded mods at that time, time, date, mission name, game version and so on and so forth.

That way, full error log would still be available, but would not intefere with the gameplay.

• Like 3

That's actually similar to an idea I had. I would not add it to the map interface though, but rather to the main menu and make it accessable via the editor and debug console.

The new menu should have a history, with date and all vital information, e.g loaded mods at that time, time, date, mission name, game version and so on and so forth.

That way, full error log would still be available, but would not intefere with the gameplay.

Both ideas are good. Lets se what developers will do :)

• Like 1

Honestly all this complaining because you are can't be arsed to spend literally one second to click a button is ridiculous. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BI is just protecting their product by telling people that if something breaks the problem is a mod (classname follows).

All the time spent here complaining about popup errors could've been spent just as well on the release thread of whatever mod is causing your problems with a decent bug report (that would not only remove the annoying popup but also fix the underlying issue causing it).

• Like 1

BI is just protecting their product by telling people that if something breaks the problem is a mod (classname follows).

All the time spent here complaining about popup errors could've been spent just as well on the release thread of whatever mod is causing your problems with a decent bug report (that would not only remove the annoying popup but also fix the underlying issue causing it).

The error reporting could really be better, a lot of errors don't even tell you what the problem is or where it was detected. Most famoulsy, the "No entry bin\config.bin\ItenInfo" or similar doesn't even tell you were it discovered that. If it said something like the pbo where it encountered the error, modders would be MUCH better off.

• Like 4

Honestly all this complaining because you are can't be arsed to spend literally one second to click a button is ridiculous. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, the amount of posts here shows me that there is alot of interest in that topic, which means we can just a well use our time, to discuss how to improve the current system, not only be removing that msg but maybe even improving it in other aspects.

Let's be honest, Arma 3 is a very script heavy, mod heavy game, yet the way errors are displayed are very rudimenary.

There is one thing you forget: I regulary go on the forums and report bugs. The issue here is, that the error msg does not disappear just because I reported it. It takes time, days, weeks even months until an update is released (Which I totally understand)

In the mean time I am still stuck with the same message, bugging me over and over again, no way to turn it off, no way of telling it that I reported it.

The error reporting could really be better, a lot of errors don't even tell you what the problem is or where it was detected. Most famoulsy, the "No entry bin\config.bin\ItenInfo" or similar doesn't even tell you were it discovered that. If it said something like the pbo where it encountered the error, modders would be MUCH better off.

Yes, indeed. If the engine can find out that there's something wrong, it should also find out what mod, or at least which pbo caused it.

• Like 1

I dont think so. I died 100+ times beacuse of this in MP. Specially in aircrafts.

I dont think so. I died 100+ times beacuse of this in MP. Specially in aircrafts.

Yeah, awesome when one is doing a dive-down attack and at the moment one needs to pull up one of thos msgs pops up. Even better if it's a mission without respawn :P

• Like 1