Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

Are you a hunter?

This past weekend i took a hunter safety class because my unlce told me it was more in depth than a regular safety class.

So i passed and now im a certified hunter. I just havent gone yet. biggrin.gif

Anyways i was just curious how many people were hunters here? What do you like to hunt and what kind of gun do you like to use?

aaahh hunting ........... i love hunting

I think that hunting is a sensless violance taken out on poor animals.

If you need to eat: sure, but just for sports, it is disgusting. Pick somebody your own size that is armed and shoots back, if you want it to be a "sport".

Went hunting  a week ago with my grandpa...i like how kids can get their hunting licenses in canada, starting from 10 i think.  smile.gif  I wish my grandpa let me use something better than a .22!

Oh and we eat the thigns we hunt, although not all of them. I think hunting for no reason other than trophies is stupid.

Thinking of getting a hunter 'license' actually.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 31 2002,02:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that hunting is a sensless violance taken out on poor animals.

If you need to eat: sure, but just for sports, it is disgusting. Pick somebody your own size that is armed and shoots back, if you want it to be a "sport".<span id='postcolor'>

Trophy Hunting = Bad

Food Hunting = Good

In some really poor times when I was a kid, Dad bagging a moose in the fall sometimes meant the difference between having meat all winter and not. We never had a head mounted on a wall, or a rug, or any of that sort of thing.

I havent hunted in years. Actually, not since I had to pack 1/4 of a huge moose from 1.5km into a swamp, where it ran after my Uncle shot it and didnt knock it down for good.

Dont hunt regularly, used to. I varmint as often as I can though.

Fishing is where it's at for me. Go out on the lake, get yourself a sunburn and a few bass- that is the meaning of life right there folks

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 30 2002,05:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that hunting is a sensless violance taken out on poor animals.

If you need to eat: sure, but just for sports, it is disgusting. Pick somebody your own size that is armed and shoots back, if you want it to be a "sport".<span id='postcolor'>

Actually i dont see a problem with it as long as you follow this rule

"if you kill it, you eat it"

Now for trophys i dont really care for that.

And im just going to clarify that Hunters have never made a species of animals go extinct. Why might you ask? Because of regulated hunting.

i don't see hunting as a sport but as a way of life

in France , hunting is just an excuse to spend an entire day with your best friends running around in the forrest to get meat for the dinner

the midday lunch can last up to 3 hours discussing about the morning' hunt and many other stuff such as politics and so ... smile.gif

there often are up to 12 hunters in the hunting parties i go to and they generally come with their spouses and sometime with their children

i sometime give hunting parties on the public hunting domain , but then we come to eat at one of my small country house and you see 30 people on benches front of a really long table

while the men are hunting , the women who didn't come with the men stay at the house and prepare the lunch

the meals are composed of local homemade products

my girlfrient generally comes with me since she has an hunting license , she actually a good huntress

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Oct. 31 2002,02:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And im just going to clarify that Hunters have never made a species of animals go extinct. Why might you ask? Because of regulated hunting.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes they have. Passenger Pigeon

http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~sustain/bio65/lec03/PPigeons.html

wow.gif6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 30 2002,20wow.gif6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that hunting is a sensless violance taken out on poor animals.

Yep,

funny thing is what I saw on TV 2 days ago (maybe someone on this forum also saw it); Bunch of hunters are out somewhere in Northern Canada or something cold here, dressed like commandos or some GI crap, and they spot this deer. Do they shoot it? No, because it fell into the icy water and is exhausted trying to get out. What do they do? They RESCUE it.

What's the point fellas? If your going to shoot the animal, why pull it out risking your own life and let it run off cold and exhausted into the tundra?

I'll tell you, it's just because those people are SELFISH! Want to make themselves feel better no matter how much suffering they cause, and no matter how dumb their actions are.

... some hunting is for the purpose of controlling populations, cutting down on disease which can be transferred to humans.

EDIT: Yeah, it was Real TV... Real stupid TV wink.gif

I'm not sure that I would call risking your life for an animal in distress selfish.

I do understand what you mean, though -- the hunters are trying to atone for the death they bring to the animals.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 30 2002,17:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Oct. 31 2002,02:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And im just going to clarify that Hunters have never made a species of animals go extinct. Why might you ask? Because of regulated hunting.<span id='postcolor'>

http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~sustain/bio65/lec03/PPigeons.html<span id='postcolor'>

I think he ment controlled hunting. The Fish and Game act (something like that) started in the 1920s(?).

Anyway I took the class with Jester and passed with 100% to his 98% tounge.gif . Too bad I only have my Remington 597 which can't do shit. But I should be getting my Remington Model 700 in about a year. I plan to hunt, but for the meat of the dear or whatever poor animal I happen to have a license for in my sights.

There is nothing better than shoting a deer with Buck Shot and then skining and eating his delicious ass. mmmmm mmm good! I love shooting rifles, period. At the range or out in a nice peaceful wilderness scene with Bambi drinking from a Walmart photo scene only to have buckshot rip straight into him putting him down and out. It's beautiful. Of course I love to hunt rabbits that come to ravage the property. Nothing wrong with getting into cammies and stalking the bastards then taking them out with a good old Pellet Pistol or Rifle. Not like they won't make 6 more in a week.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Grey Fox @ Oct. 30 2002,05:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 30 2002,17:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Oct. 31 2002,02:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And im just going to clarify that Hunters have never made a species of animals go extinct. Why might you ask? Because of regulated hunting.<span id='postcolor'>

http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~sustain/bio65/lec03/PPigeons.html<span id='postcolor'>

I think he ment controlled hunting. The Fish and Game act (something like that) started in the 1920s(?).

Anyway I took the class with Jester and passed with 100% to his  98% tounge.gif . Too bad I only have my Remington 597 which can't do shit. But I should be getting my Remington Model 700 in about a year. I plan to hunt, but for the meat of the dear or whatever poor animal I happen to have a license for in my sights.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes i was just about to get to that Grey Fox. And it was 99% btw.

Tex, I meant hunters havent killed any species ever they made controlled hunting. I believe it was in the 1920's. The only species that came close were the buffolo (sp?) but they too were hunted before controlled hunting came into effect.

To those who have hunted or do hunt what kind of guns did you use?

I can't think of a place where it is legal to hunt deer with buckshot.

If you want to hunt deer-sized animal with a shotgun, use slugs. That's what most states mandate.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 30 2002,20:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not sure that I would call risking your life for an animal in distress selfish.<span id='postcolor'>

I'll give you a while to think about it... they did not quit hunting. The deer will probably freeze anyway.

EDIT: If the deer was not in water, they would have shot it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Oct. 30 2002,18:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The deer will probably freeze anyway.<span id='postcolor'>

I doubt it. Keep in mind that deer live outside year-round, including during very cold winters. They will also cross streams with freezing-cold water without hesitation.

While the deer probably would have died from hypothermia if it hadn't been rescued, as long as the core temperature didn't drop too much, it will most likely survive.

currently i hunt chicks and good gun, and grades in courses i'm taking.

and soon, denoir...muhahaahahahahahahahahaha!

forgot to add. i don't like to hunt animals...although I enjoy firing guns, I have hard time accepting that i ended a life. of crouse, if i'm deserted and need to eat, then it's different story.

If you hunt something, hunt something that can kill you! I've seen these hunting shows on TV and I've known people who are hunters. They get all dressed up in cammo to be invisible basically. Why? So they can shoot a rabbit or a deer. Like you really need to be that dreessed up for that.

Then I've seen people sit in their little tree stands and wait for game to come by. Those pieces of crap... Wimps, all I need to say.

And one thing that really makes me confused is when they get into a lot of cammo, then put on a bright orange vest so they don't get shot by other hunters.

The whole thing of shooting game for fun pisses me off, especially the way some people do it.

Lol, I watched American Shooter a week ago, and these hillbilly's killed a bunch of squirrels. Then they started to eat them, and one guy goes "Them squirrel's are good eatin'"! I was like, WTF?! LOL, American shooter is a cool show tho, they fired off Uzi's and AK47 NM's one time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 30 2002,20:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not sure that I would call risking your life for an animal in distress selfish.

I do understand what you mean, though -- the hunters are trying to atone for the death they bring to the animals.<span id='postcolor'>

So, do you understand why they are selfish yet? smile.gif I am certain you will soon.

Hint: Easy target (no fun)- rescue (feeling of good deed)

10 days down the road, target is alive and well... ready to kill

Hard Target (lotsa fun) - kill and pretend you are great (ego boost)

Yeah, that's another way to look at it.

I originally assumed you thought they did it to make themselves feel better. You are saying they did it only so that they would have something to shoot later.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">American shooter is a cool show<span id='postcolor'>

I love that show! I especially like the trick shooters they have. My favorite was when that big pistol shooting guy shot a balloon from 300m away with a revolver, a .44Mag I think.

As for hunting, I would only hunt an animal if I was going to eat it. My weapon of choice? A Lee-Enfield MkIII .303 But maybe a Scoped Remington/Winchester/or Savage would be better off.

Hunters might have a bad rep. but don't forget: Regular hunters are the biggest conservationists out there. Every year thier orginizations like 'Ducks Unlimited' preserve thousands of acres of forest and marsh that would otherwise be developed.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 30 2002,22:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, that's another way to look at it.

I originally assumed you thought they did it to make themselves feel better. You are saying they did it only so that they would have something to shoot later.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually I am saying that they did it because of both... the feeling, and more targets...

How about this: You are a serial killer (like our friendly gulf war veteran John Muhhamad became, and that's the 2nd Guld war vet to go postal in 1 month), murder 1 person per day if you can... then you pick out your next target in a Red Beetle Turbo... she is pulling into a gas station, almost in when she gets broadsided by a tracktor trailer... her car begins to burn, she is incapacitated.

Why would you drop your Colt and risk your life by pulling out the person from a burning vehicle? A. Selfish need

B. Your brain isn't actually working today

C. God told you to. (for DOR)

tounge.gif