Sign in to follow this  
PitViper

Hind with retractable gear?

Now that Oxygen is out, I'm curious why no one has imported the Hind model and edited the gear to be retractable into the body.

any takers? please? smile.gif

The Hind model wasnt in the demo so we cant edit it smile.gif

and we can't make a nicer, higher poly-better texture one?

Seriously, all you modelers and skinners out there, new versions of default planes and troops would be very popular.

Not everyone wants Nowegian special forces, no matter how nice they are done. But pretty much everyone would download better HInds, Hips, and Apaches.

well even if we get the Hind in MLOD (which is possible wink.gif) You would have to get out and retract the gear, instead of doing it in the cockpit.

Using the gear event it would be very possible to make a properly working retractable gear with any custom animation, without the need to get out first.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Oct. 22 2002,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Using the gear event it would be very possible to make a properly working retractable gear with any custom animation, without the need to get out first.<span id='postcolor'>

Could you tell me more Kegetys?

Maybe you are able to create some script and sample model?

I think that working gear on chopper would be a mile-stone for OFP's world...

As you know the thing with custom animations looks like that:

1). Small animation radius - you can enable animation (no matter if you are inside or outside the chopper) but if you leave the area where animation works - animation is disabled (until you get out or)

2). Huge animation radius - you can enable animation all the time no matter if you are inside or outside but not only you are able to enable the animation - _every_one_ on the map can enable it...

Is there a possibility to create script for restricting custom-actions?

- only pilot should be able to enable animation

- it should work only _inside_ the chopper

- it should work anywhere on the map

you could still make the animation couldn't you? It just would still act like the gear is down should you try to land!

Norwegian Special Forces happen to be one of the best soldiers in the world got damnit.......

They would even kick Navy Seals butt smile.gif

actually no, its not, quote from Sefe after i asked about helicopters:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, the animation part is not the problem. You can create those animations in helicoper models, too. But although Kegetys defenitely is the better addon editor than me I disagree with him that the gear event also works for choppers.

The property in the config file that makes aircraft gear retractable is

GearRetracting=1;

This line has no effects on helicopters. Hence you will never have "Gear up" in your action menu which leads to the fact that you'll never have the gear event for choppers. If Kegetys can make the gear event for choppers work, I'll be the first one to congratulate him. But I wasn't able to do so.

The other way I could think of is to add the gear up/down option to the pilot via the getIn event and remove it via the getOut event or (even better as you wouldn't have to provide scripts with your addon) add a custom action to a selection in the chopper. This, however, can't be done due to a bug in OFP. I've already sent a bug report in the official forums. but nobody seems to take notice of that. Maybe someone who has a better connection to BIS can make them aware of that. Without the bug, my answer would be: Retracting gear for choppers? No problem!

So, retracting gear for choppers is only a bugfix away. <span id='postcolor'>

I'm probably going to get ripped to shreds here, but I'd rather see people making new vehicles instead of reinventing existing ones just to iron out a minor (IMHO) inconsistency...

i think the point sefe was trying to make, was that all new addon makers arent now trapped with having wheels going forward, and offered a solution, he/she just used the hawk as an example

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Midway @ Oct. 22 2002,18:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Norwegian Special Forces happen to be one of the best soldiers in the world got damnit.......

They would even kick Navy Seals butt  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

quite an imagination biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Oct. 22 2002,22:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">actually no, its not, quote from Sefe after i asked about helicopters: (...)<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly :-(

That's the problem...