Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Nope you shouldn't go for 770 , you will still get low frames in AI intense moments. You should overclock you CPU if you know how to do it.

so in ur opinion,i should just oc the cpu??which brand is good??msi or asus?i have msi mobo though.it just that i cant play arma 3 like before,even though i got good setups that what i had before..

I believe we are not living in the same world. For the the young people I am speaking of, 100€ are making a huge difference as often they have saved around 500€ in order to buy their PC. The main problem is in fact that they are very often lulled in buying so called "gaming" PCs based upon AMD cheapest products often unable to run Arma3 at the enjoyable level.

The "Minimum" official specifications are still :

CPU: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or ATI Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000

My own opinion on the subject is that the GPU specs are a bad joke and that in fact the "Recommended" official specs are the real minimum specs allowing a full gaming experience.

Nevertheless, if you are on a budget [500€], you can get a "gaming" PC based upon an i3-4130 able to deliver an Arma3 enjoyable experience.

everything thing on ultra,vis-2000,obj-1000,shadows-100,ao-disabled,aa-4x.1920x1080. i had 7970 before and i could get awesome fps and i had my 3570k oced to 4ghz.this new cpu i have is not oced.its stock.i know arma is cpu heavy butnot only im getting very low fps im also seeing textures damadges like wierd colors on the armor and stuff.u think the graphics card is defected?if u have to choose which graphics cars should i get out of asus 770,97 270x,r9 280/x.ur opinion will be very helpful cuz im going to return this card today.

You should lower your settings, I really don't understad why people play on ultra. The difference from high to ultra is not that big and certainly not enough to justify the lower frames.

View distance and object distance are ok though. And to answer your question about GPUs I would go for 770 (but I am Nvidia fanboy :).

Keep in mind I have the i5-2500k overclocked to 4.4 GHZ and my rig runs better than more expensive CPUs and rigs.

Also remember that the GPU will not give you more frames in big AI battles. You will get the same frames as now.

but what about the wierd color popping up in the game??u think my graphics card might be defected??

Can you show an image or a printscreen? It would be helpful if you can do it.

it happend earlier when i was playing aliens and it happened to me on arma and even on desktop..i dont have any pics sorry

Then it might be a problem if you see strange textures and color. But I can't be sure without taking a look at ingame images.

@Krazybee

I can´t understand why you sold your 3570k and 7970GHZ to buy a haswell and a GTX770 for arma3. Completely senseless, sorry to say that. You will have on empty editor a little bit more fps because the 770 is faster, but your minimum fps will be exactly the same provided that you have same cpu-clockspeed.

The performance of arma3 depends on cpu and ram clockspeed......to press my internal repeat button again......

@Krazybee: do some troubleshooting.

If you have some sort of graphical glitch in all applications including the desktop then it's clearly not caused by a game anyways.

Make sure everything is plugged in OK, update your drivers.

When did the problems start? Old computer, new graphics card? Completely new computer?

If everything is installed correctly, updated and you can’t detect anything special using MSI Afterburner to check temps and so on then it might be a graphics card hardware defect.

@Krazybee

I can´t understand why you sold your 3570k and 7970GHZ to buy a haswell and a GTX770 for arma3. Completely senseless, sorry to say that. You will have on empty editor a little bit more fps because the 770 is faster, but your minimum fps will be exactly the same provided that you have same cpu-clockspeed.

The performance of arma3 depends on cpu and ram clockspeed......to press my internal repeat button again......

I'm definitely not under the impression that graphics card doesn't matter. Which seems to be what you are saying. Which is dead wrong naturally.

Edited by Sneakson

I'm definitely not under the impression that graphics card doesn't matter. Which seems to be what you are saying. Which is dead wrong naturally.

I distinguish between average fps and minimum fps related to the role of cpu speed and gpu speed and in addition i distinguish between arma3-Scenarios (empty editor and ai heavy situations). If you ignore these distinctions you come to "naturally dead wrong" conclusions.

I distinguish between average fps and minimum fps related to the role of cpu speed and gpu speed and in addition i distinguish between arma3-Scenarios (empty editor and ai heavy situations). If you ignore these distinctions you come to "naturally dead wrong" conclusions.

Have you seen any heavy AI benchmark to confirm your beliefs or are you just guessing based on your own computer?

It's said that Arma* games are CPU dependent, it's still true, but Arma3 is also GPU demanding !

Have a look at Hardocp's "ARMA III Video Card Performance and IQ Review" these tests are based upon an i7-3770K@4.8GHz and a 2560x1600 display system based upon 3xDell 2408WFP monitors. So the tests are showing how the game performs with a wide variety of video cards.

It's said that Arma* games are CPU dependent, it's still true, but Arma3 is also GPU demanding !

Have a look at Hardocp's "ARMA III Video Card Performance and IQ Review" these tests are based upon an i7-3770K@4.8GHz and a 2560x1600 display system based upon 3xDell 2408WFP monitors. So the tests are showing how the game performs with a wide variety of video cards.

thats true, you can slow down a triple titan system with all arma3 ingame downsampling/AA modi at its maximum. But its not practical....in other words:

-if you put a second titan in your system arma3 will only benefit with exotic graphic settings and in empty editor

-if you overclock cpu and ram arma3 will benefit a) in ALL situations and b) especially in the area of ai-heavy situations and minimum fps.

@Sneakson

thats all generally known...... Make a test scenario with 7 groups vs 7 in a firefight. Make two runs and compare the minimum fps. First run with max clocked gpu, second with half clocked gpu. You will have same min fps and in the second run higher gpu-utilization. In this way you can "simulate" different gpu´s. All known, thousand times repeated......

Edited by JumpingHubert

everything is new in my pc besides the HDD.just reformated it and installed fresh win 7.i exchanged msi 770 with asus 770.hopefully,now i can oc my cpu and get good fps outta this righ.thanks for ur relpies and help.

I currently have a AMD 8350, and Radeon 7990 (yeah I know massive bottlenecking). I'm thinking of Selling those and getting a i5 3570k and a GTX 780ti superoverclock with acx cooler. With switching will I get better perfomances? I've seen on ArmA youtube videos (best resource for vital info) that people where seeing greater fps with the setup I'm getting, to the one i currently have. Or should I keep the 7990 but buy a i5 3570, as this is a cpu intensive game and the i5 should bottleneck less, correct? People are saying that NVIDIA performs better and is more optimised then AMD (idk if there fanboys or if that's true). Any help will be appreciated.

@ PapaVayne : first change your AMD 8350 for an i5 4670K and keep the HD 7990.

Unless you have as special bargain on a i5 3570K I don't see any good reason to prefer it to an i5 4670K.

After testing you will give a 2nd thought about buying a GTX 780Ti.

Of course the GTX 780Ti is great, probably the best GPU/driver combo you can get at the moment, but as you have already an HD 7990, you don't need to hurry.

From my point of view, NVIDIA and AMD GPUs perform well, but NVIDIA is making better drivers.

@ PapaVayne : first change your AMD 8350 for an i5 4670K and keep the HD 7990.

Unless you have as special bargain on a i5 3570K I don't see any good reason to prefer it to an i5 4670K.

After testing you will give a 2nd thought about buying a GTX 780Ti.

Of course the GTX 780Ti is great, probably the best GPU/driver combo you can get at the moment, but as you have already an HD 7990, you don't need to hurry.

From my point of view, NVIDIA and AMD GPUs perform well, but NVIDIA is making better drivers.

This.

BUt my 4670k with 770 works awesome..i oced the cpu from 3.4 to 4.2 im having blast.Thanks again guys for guiding me the right way

Just to digress, as an experiment I installed AA3 on my spare computer under Win XP but it wouldn't run.

Installation seemed to go smoothly, but at the end of it when I clicked the AA3 desktop shortcut icon, nothing happened.

BUt my 4670k with 770 works awesome..i oced the cpu from 3.4 to 4.2 im having blast.Thanks again guys for guiding me the right way

Nice to hear that mate :) I hope you are happy with the ASUS GTX 770.

Edited by Nikiforos

Hello,

I recently ordered an MSI GT70 Dominator notebook[/url] from XoticPC. I ordered this specifically for gaming and the one game I am most excited to play (besides Arma 2) is Arma 3. However, I am a little bit worried that this notebook wont be good enough to enjoy the high settings of either game as I am now learning that they are very CPU dependent. Could I get some feedback on this notebook pertaining to the enjoyment of Arma 3 (and possibly Arma 2 that would be allowed in this thread)?

Here are the specs for the notebook:

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Mobile Core i7-4800MQ Haswell Processor (Quad Core 2.7-3.7GHz)

Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 870M GDDR5 (3.0GB) w/ Optimus Technology

RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz

Display: 1920x1080

With "Cooler Boost Technology." From what I understand this is just a really powerful fan system inside the notebook.

Please post thoughts and suggestions. I am so excited to play Arma 3 (and 2) and really want to be able to enjoy them. I am very excited to join this community.

Thank you so much in advance :yay:

I have the same specs and its running just great on my machine as well. I have most settings on max and it runs suprisingly smoth:)