Sign in to follow this  
IndeedPete

Looking for Callsigns

Heya!

I'm just looking for some creative input regarding CSAT callsigns. It's easy to come up with cool NATO / Western ones and if all else fails one can always go through the NATO alphabet. But I'm struggling to find a good combination for an Iranian / Russian / Chinese platoon-sized mechanised unit and a command element for a mission. It doesn't have to be realistic, I'm rather looking for Hollywood here. My own brainstorming attempts were fruitless so far. It should fit a snowy scenario in the Russian-European border area, Barents Sea region to be precise. I quickly went through wikipedia entries on Slavic and Iranian mythology as well as (unsuccessfully) googling for Russian military call signs. (Probably looking forward to a visit from GRU or FSB agents soon. :D)

Any ideas out there in this unbelievably creative and diverse community? :)

What about Vodka ? It's a russian scenario after all;)

I've got some callsign ideas for the Iranian elements of CSAT, based on Persian mythology and ancient Mesopotamia! Tell you what mate, I'll put together a list and PM you! :D

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Ah, creating callsigns - this has to be one of the most exciting aspects of Arma - surely? :D

You want these in English, or Russian? Here's some Russian ones:

URUGAN ("Hurricane")

TISHINA ("Silence")

TOCHKA ("Point")

BELUGA (the whale)

TAIGA ("tundra forest")

KULAK ("affluent farmer")

AMBAL (a big strong man)

Or I like girls' names, also:

KATYA

IRINA

ALINA

ZOYA

KSENIYA

OKSANA

NIKITA

... etc

You want these in English, or Russian? Here's some Russian ones:

URUGAN ("Hurricane")

That is not how it spelt.

Thank you all for your valuable input!

I've actually used a Vodka unit in an Arma 2 project years ago. :D

Places might be misleading (and I like to use city or country names for bases).

The Russian phonetic alphabet seems to be a good idea for CfgORBAT. I have actually no idea about Bundeswehr callsigns. But they're probably very bureaucratic, follow a strict order, and there sure are laws and/or executive orders regulating them. :D

I'm not sure if Persian mythology fits the context of the European-Russian border area, but I'm open for suggestions.^^ Creating callsigns is fun as long as you can keep them consistent somehow. A pain if you want to add a unit later on and can't find another callsign integrating with the others.

They can be Russian but shouldn't be in Cyrillic letters. I like "Ambal" for the armoured platoon and "Tishina" would fit a CSAT recon unit quite well.

Keep 'em coming!

I suggest taking a look at the names the SW Asian militaries use for their weapon systems.

"Toophan (meaning "Typhoon" in Persian) is a series of Iranian anti-tank missiles."

"The Tosan (Also written Towan, meaning Wild Horse or Fury) is an Iranian light tank"

"Mobarez meaning "Duellist" is a domestically produced upgraded version of the British Chieftain tank by Iran"

"Safir (meaning "ambassador") is an Iranian 4x4 multipurpose military vehicle built by Fath Vehicle Industries."

They seem to use more 'flowery' terms like the PLA does after being translated into English.

I remember in Wargame Red Dragon, OPFOR callsigns were like: Anna, Boris, and those are the only ones I remember.

Thank you, guys. I went for Kulak as command, Ambal for the armour, and Tishina for a recon unit.

IndeedPete, greetings! Do you have an email where we can chat? I too have a project and would like your valuable input on this. Thank you and good day sir!

IndeedPete, greetings! Do you have an email where we can chat? I too have a project and would like your valuable input on this. Thank you and good day sir!

You know you could use forum PM right?

Uhm, I'm not sharing my private mail address here, but you can reach me using the forum's PM system. Not sure how I could be helpful though.^^