Sign in to follow this  
total

The Stamina/Fatigue system needs to be fixed now!

If you want reality with Arma 3 you need a lot of mods. One of them is the 3x stamina mod, the stamina bar is kind of essential as well as there is no sound or other obvious effects that you are fatigued until you just start moving really slowly. I would recommend those as a minimum. Obviously you need a lot more to add back in realistic ballistics and damage models and armour and lots of other things to work around stuff BI broke since release.

I've had a Arma 3 break, and now I've finally got time to play again. The first thing I noticed was that my character wasn't able to run a few hundred meters before he stopped completely because of he was exhausted. Even in downhill, everything goes extremely slowly.

This is highly trained soldiers and they manage to push themselves hard, not halt. Even I with full equipment manages to jog 10x longer than what the characters in Arma 3 does. So, Bohemia Interactive, please tell me why you have made it worse than it was before. Many of those I played with before, stopped playing Arma 3 because of this. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

Why fix something that's not broken? You assume the soldier you picked knows how to manage fatigue for you. In the game description, they mentioned that NATO was made up of rag tag engineers, so given that, I wouldn't even consider them "highly trained", you can tell this by playing the first 5 minutes of the Campaign. Instead of complaining, take all that gear your soldier is wearing, and put it on in real life. Now run. Run as you see you should be able to in game, and then come back and tell us how it is. It's not broken. You're not using it right. When you carry a lot of gear, move at a pace. Run some, walk some, run some, rest. When your carrying light gear, run longer, and rest when you need to, a obviously not in the open. The only thing that seems to not be working, are people using tactics, in a game that's basically designed to simulate Infantry. If that's not what you expected then, I don't know what to tell you at this point. I hear Battlefield Hardline is coming out soon?

Many players are underestimating how cumbersome even average gear is in RL.

I found this quote while searching for equipment weight of US infantry:

'[weight] Depends on the job and mission. Most of the time rucks aren't carried anymore. Take a simple combat patrol, walking. Over your regular uniform you got your knee and elbow pads. you got your helmet. You got your IBA with plates. The plates alone are damn near 30 pounds. Then you got all the pouches and stuff you add to that. Ammo, at least 210 rounds in 7 magazines for an M4. You got grenades, papers, medical packs, water in your camel back, camera, knife, flashlight, extra ammo if your a machine gunner. The list could go on. I don't even know the exact weight, never really worried about jumping on a scale over there. It's a lot and it's hard as hell to move. Especially climbing over things and getting in and out of trucks. Add in 100+ degree heat and your having a bad day.

Source(s): been there, done that.'

The equipment weight seems to range from 20 - 70 kg, average about 40 kg.

Why is this still a thing? There's a reason why modern militaries rely so heavily on mechanization, and why you never see people make long distance movements at any other pace than a quick walk. That or I missed the evidence to the contrary that shows modern soldiers with 70 kgs of equipment running all the time, at any distance, without getting fatigued. The system is fine, adapt your playstyle from run n gun to fatigue management. Plan your movement. (Nobody climbs the steepest grade in real life straight on, you serpentine, or find a flatter approach).

For example, the normal NATO soldier carries his MXR, Pistol, 8 mags for the rifle, 3 mags for the pistol and 3 handgrenades. (Assuming 3.5 kgs for the rifle, 0.6 kgs for the pistol. 0.7 kgs per mag (without rounds) and .084 kgs per round at 30 rounds per mag, 0.37 kgs per grenade) That alone would amount to 35 kilograms. This does not count Uniform, Vest, Helmet, doesn't count pistol mags and ammunition, doesn't count NVGs, optics, etc, etc.

If you don't want to get fatigued, drive, or ditch the plate carrier and carry only small amounts of ammo. In the campaign I ditched my pack and all my ammo save for 3 mags for the rifle, handgrenades and mission essentials whenever I needed to move. Then, move back, collect gear and hump it to the next objective. Rinse and repeat.

Where's the difficulty?

Hehehe :D

If I sprint with the same speed that somehow is 14 km/h in-game, I'm able to run at least as far, hehe.

You have probably tried to run on a treadmill (14-16km/h)? Speed ​​should be turned up a notch in-game and add some sprinting effects.

1x Rifle: 4kg

6x Magasines: 5kg

5x 40mm HE Grenade: 1,1kg

2x RGO Grenades: 1kg

3x Chemlights: 0,3 kg

1x GPS, Radio, Compass and Watch: 4-5kg

1xUniform, NVG, bag and stuff: 6kg

Total: 22,4kg

I can promise you that I manage to sprint 1 km with this weight (25-30kg) without getting pegs or be so out of breath that I must go for 5 minutes before I could run again. I agree that no soldier would do this, but as a game the player should be able to choose if he want to run or being able to shoot ^^

Edited by Total

I find the current system very well done and cannot think of any changes I would want.

What I do feel is needed though is a flags system for servers so that things like 3rd person, weapon crosshair and fatigue etc... are displayed as on or off before you get into the actual server.

I don't think you know what the word 'sprint' means because it isn't running or pacing yourself in anyway it's throwing everything you have to go as fast as possible

Hehehe :D

If I sprint with the same speed that somehow is 14 km/h in-game, I'm able to run at least as far, hehe.

You have probably tried to run on a treadmill (14-16km/h)? Speed ​​should be turned up a notch in-game and add some sprinting effects.

1x Rifle: 4kg

6x Magasines: 5kg

5x 40mm HE Grenade: 1,1kg

2x RGO Grenades: 1kg

3x Chemlights: 0,3 kg

1x GPS, Radio, Compass and Watch: 4-5kg

1xUniform, NVG, bag and stuff: 6kg

Total: 22,4kg

I can promise you that I manage to sprint 1 km with this weight (25-30kg) without getting pegs or be so out of breath that I must go for 5 minutes before I could run again. I agree that no soldier would do this, but as a game the player should be able to choose if he want to run or being able to shoot ^^

I ended up with the following weights:

Rifle: 3.5 kgs, Gunsight: 0.35 kgs, IR Laser: 0.35 kgs

Pistol: 0.63 kgs

Rifle Magazines 10x (9 On Person, 1 in Rifle): 0.45 kgs per mag, 4.5 kgs (without ammunition)

210 rounds of Rifle ammunition at 0.016 kg per round (Assuming 120 grain bullet with similar weight for casing and propellant) 4.8 Kgs

Total for Ammo+Mags thusly: 9.3 Kgs

Weight of Pistol Mags + Ammo: 0.36 Kgs

Crye Cage Chassis in size L (Because of 1.90 m size of Arma characters): 3.63 kgs without plates.

2x SAPI level III plates: 5 kgs

2x SAPI level III side inserts: 1.6 kgs

ACH with ACR rails and dingledongles: 1.75 kgs (Assuming 1.36 kgs for the helmet without any accessories attached)

DAGR: 1.25 kgs

NVGs: 0.9 kgs

Radio: 0.85 kgs

Personal first aid: 0.8 kgs

2x Handgrenade (M-67): 0.8 kgs

2x Smoke grenade (M-18): 1.06 kgs

Personal Hydration equipment (Canteen or Bladder, 1L of Water, Filtration set): 1.3 kgs

Food: 0.1 kgs

Uniform, Boots, Gloves, Watch, Map: 0.6 kgs

Pouches, Rope, Assorted Equipment: 0.4 kgs

Total weight: 34.35 kgs.

According to this document: http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/notes/CombatLoad.pdf Ideal fighting load is 20 kgs. Approach march load is 32 kgs. So the individual Arma 3 rifleman is actually overloaded by ~ 40 % as far as the USMC appears to be concerned. (Document is from "Notes for Infantry Leaders - Infantry Combat PME" from 1998)

Edited by InstaGoat

I can promise you that I manage to sprint 1 km with this weight (25-30kg) without getting pegs or be so out of breath

Do it. Get a GOPro, and Do it. We'll be waiting.

That's what you get Total, by presenting numbers, but sneakingly leaving out some items: not counting mags, sidearm, plates etc. ;-P (no harm intended)

I will add to that: as far as I'm concerned, Arma soldier represents a soldier on a combat mission, not a soldier returning from holiday. The soldier that has lack of sleep, tiredness from guard duties or patrols, lack of good food, stress etc. I'm not impressed with people suggesting that can leave their computer, put on their running shoes, put on a backpack with some bricks and run on a level paved road without danger and comparing that to soldiers running in combat zone.

You're doing something wrong.

I just loaded up the exact loadout you described, and ran for 1300m before I fatigued fully and was forced to walk.

And I guarantee that you won't be able to run longer than the characters can, at least at that speed. Are you aware that the job speed for the soldiers is 14kmh? That's quite fast, a brisk jog.

My tips for you:

1. always lower your weapon (2x LCtrl). Running without lowering your weapon significantly increases fatigue

2. Stop and rest every once and awhile -- the stamina regen is very fast while crouched, and even faster while prone. You can even just use W+S to walk for a bit and let your stamina regen.

3. Carry even less. 5 HE grenades is a lot. You didn't list how many magazines you are carrying but it adds up fast. It also really really matters what vest you wear -- the Carrier GL Rig for example is, while armored, extremely cumbersome and will fatigue you very quickly.

4. Never ever Sprint (shift), it is reserved only to be used in emergencies to get to cover or cross a lane of fire. Only use it when you can be sure you'll have several seconds to stop and rest afterwards

5. If you've given up, you can always use

player enableFatigue false;

to disable stamina. This is cheating.

I'll leave you with

, a video that shows how the fatigue is actually realistic.

In fact, since this video, they nerfed the fatigue a bunch because all the A3L kids complained about it. So it's actually already unrealistic in that there isn't enough fatigue.

I'm actually really very tired of hearing people complain about this. The game now has realistic fatigue and you can no longer run around like it's CoD or Battlefield. Either suck it up and learn how to play, or don't play the game. But it's not changing anytime soon. Please stop spamming the forums with thread after thread complaining about it.

Great post. This should be stickied.

Chances are your sprinting everywhere. The default movement is jog not walk. So when you push shift your going into sprint mode. That's going to tire anyone out sprinting with so much weight.

Also walking (W+S) regains stamina + you are still moving.

I have misinterpreted the system. Sprinting in 14 km/h feels like jogging in 7 km/h.

You misunderstand. Jogging is 14km/h. Sprinting is 25km/h. You should try tapping 2x NumPad Minus key to temporarily raise your FoV. You'll get a much better sense of the speed.

I know you're running with around 60kg of equipment usually, but you're also supposed to be a trained soldier. Running out of breath after 500 meters may be rather realistic in that instance, but 500 meters in-game is more like 500 feet IRL because of the scaling. Running out of breath, even with a decent load size, after only 500 feet is pretty pathetic unless you're an out-of-shape chain-smoker.

500 meters in-game is more like 500 feet IRL because of the scaling

Wut??

I think there are misunderstandings.

Sprint(Shift+W): fatigue increase fast

Jogging, running(W): normal fatigue increase

Walking(switch with W+S): slow fatigue increase

When you sprint, you use all your power to run as fast as you can. You can't sprint 1 km with 25-30 kg gear and not get exhausted. Sprinting != not fast running. It's not same!