Sign in to follow this  
digitalcenturion

Best practice/way to include A2/CO/A3MP/AiA objects in your A3 map project?

As the thread says, what would be the best way to do this? Provided one does not want to alter the resources, only use them. I suppose downloading some AiA/CUP resource pack avaliable, extracting it and popping it into the P: drive? Could someone more experienced give some comments?

Thanks!

Something i'm also intrested in, say i just want to include 1 or 2 models without people needing the entire addon.

I think if you need like a FEW files, you can include it but you must give credit to the original authors. If you need more than a few files, it is best to use the pack with all the resources you need.

AiA is obsolete as it will not be supported.

A3MP is obsolete and should be merged into AiA TP already.

Cup should be okay as it will be maintained to bring A2/CO assets over.

AiA TP should continue and hope it will merge into cup as map content eventually.

So I would bite the bullet and ask users to just use CUP/AiA TP if you really need to NOW instead of later.

Yes I know that, but how would I actually add these assets to Terrain BUilder? DO I just DePbo the pack I want and stick them into the P: drive? Where exactly? Sorry for noobish questions.

I think if you need like a FEW files, you can include it but you must give credit to the original authors...

That is wrong. It doesn't matter if you only need half a file you always get author permission first if you want to alter any pbo.

Now if you strictly just want to use assets from the pbo but are not going to be actually distributing those assets then you just download the pbo. Unpack the pbo. Place the pbo into your p drive root and add the objects to terrain builder template library. You can them place the object like any other. In you terrain confit you add whatever pbo you are using to the list of the requiredaddons section. And list it in your read me that people will need that addon to play your island.

Now As far as aia goes. That is a config only addon to make a2 stuff work in a3 without doing anything to the objects. You do not use that directly. You would place objects from the a2 folder "ca" on your terrain. That is a bit complicated process and I wouldn't recommend it for any new guys. I would say to stick with cup or other a3 addons.

If someone wants me to I can go into further detail on that.

@ M1lkm8n

That is wrong. It solely depends on the license.

Even more in general you only need to ask if there is no license, the license does not allow it - and you want to publish your changes.

Yes sure whatever kju. If you don't care about author right then fine. But you shouldn't even be altering the pbos regardless if you are going to publish them or not and if there is a license or not without permission from the author.

;2876209']@ M1lkm8n

Even more in general you only need to ask if there is no license' date=' the license does not allow it - and you want to publish your changes.[/quote']

Yes sure whatever kju. If you don't care about author right then fine. But you shouldn't even be altering the pbos regardless if you are going to publish them or not and if there is a license or not without permission from the author.

I think what kju is saying, is if there is a license that says "free to modify/distribute" or "open source" then you are free to use/modify it how you like.

The license (if present) is the guiding factor, If there is no license, THEN you need to ask the author specifically. If the license says no modification/redistribution, you have no reason to ask the author, because the answer is no. For example CWR2 has a very clear license, NO USE in A3. DayZ mod has a clear license, NO USE IN A3... Our SMD releases all have a clear license, APL-SA with a special caveat that we can request takedown of any party we perceive to be in violation of the license.

*edit

As stated by M1lkm8n, the only correct way to do it, is to use the A2 CA folder as a source for your terrain, then release with AiA_TP dependency.

Alternatively if you want to use 99pct A3 buildings and a few specific A2 buildings, you can use the BI Sample Models as source, or check the license/contact the author of any specific buildings you want to use.

There are several different attitudes in modding for Arma, some folks are very protective of their work/projects, others are not, some even get annoyed by the constant requests for permission when they've included a clear "free use/modification" license.

The key is to ensure you research what you want to use, check the packages and forum threads for licenses, and in the absence of those, or confusion over them THEN contact the author.

Some folks think it's fine to "mess around" with whatever they want, so long as they aren't going to release/host it... however that IMO is what leads to so many violations... after you've spent a certain amount of time on a project, you feel as though it's "yours" even if you started with someone elses work... so just avoid that all together and ensure you have permission to work on something before you do. It will avoid lost time and bitter feelings.

Edited by CiforDayZServer

@ M1lkm8n

You seem to have a skewed perspective on author rights. Maybe you want to educate yourself

in the general world of author rights and licenses and not just the extremists forms present in this forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

https://www.eff.org/issues/intellectual-property

In the end the whole point of a license is to communicate the authors wishes, and avoid to have getting asked (unless something is unclear or you want an exemption).

Q maybe you want to go back and read the post correctly. His statement didn't contain anything about licenses. So I expained that you need to ask the author before you make any changes to any pbo. So in abcense of a license you ask the author. Read first

;2876209']@ M1lkm8n

Even more in general you only need to ask if there is no license' date=' the license does not allow it - and you want to publish your changes.[/quote']

http://choosealicense.com/no-license/

No license = Strictest interpretation of the Law

Your average user is going to interpret no license as the author has no problem with the release being used/modified in any way, If it has terms then those terms should be included to stop guess work.

That's how i always thought it was until i did more research :)

This really wasn't about licensing, but it is good with a refresher... but further APL-SA discussion and whatnot could be held in it's own thread.

The point is if I want to use some objects from AiA that used to be part of the PMC DLC which I am not sure if I even own but now are free for all and I have downloaded the AiA Terrain pack which is 6gb in size and contains all the data regarding maps from A1 + dlc and A2+dlc do I really need to download A2 on steam again to access the files? I mean they are inside the AiA TP pbos already right?

The AiA TP supersedes the Arma 2 game for your purposes; as described, you can make an unaltered AiA TP a mod dependency for your terrain.

This really wasn't about licensing, but it is good with a refresher... but further APL-SA discussion and whatnot could be held in it's own thread.

The point is if I want to use some objects from AiA that used to be part of the PMC DLC which I am not sure if I even own but now are free for all and I have downloaded the AiA Terrain pack which is 6gb in size and contains all the data regarding maps from A1 + dlc and A2+dlc do I really need to download A2 on steam again to access the files? I mean they are inside the AiA TP pbos already right?

is the craziest thing download 6 gb for 1 or two buildings

I've been thinking about this for a while, and fretting about how to get a few A2 objects without huge dependencies.

Then I read this post on the Bornholm thread that helped me to stop worrying and love the AiA/CUP dependency bomb.

Serjames: Fact is most communities play more than 1 map. Which means they will have to download AiA_TP anyway at some point or their games are gonna get pretty boring on the same old maps all the time. So your argument against download "size" is just not relevant. 1 Master map pack i.e. AiA_TP + lots of smaller map files like Isla Duala etc is much preferred over enormous maps like Bornholm which simply waste storage and download on redundant assets.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184446-Bornholm-Denmark-Terrain&p=2846701&viewfull=1#post2846701

I agree. Plus in this day and age digital distribution is the norm and so is large downloads. I mean the new Wolfenstein was a 40Gb download on Steam. AiA TP is small potatoes :)

I still don't know though how my directory structure should look on P:? Should I put the depbod structures in the A3 folder that Arma3P bat created, or make a new "master folder"? If so, what should it be called?

I agree. Plus in this day and age digital distribution is the norm and so is large downloads. I mean the new Wolfenstein was a 40Gb download on Steam. AiA TP is small potatoes :)

I still don't know though how my directory structure should look on P:? Should I put the depbod structures in the A3 folder that Arma3P bat created, or make a new "master folder"? If so, what should it be called?

No!!! Nothing ever should go into the a3 folder. That would cause problems. Anything you plan to use from other mods are unpacked and placed in your root p drive In the folder that is in after you unpbo it. Don't move anything out of their original folder structures either or when will not appear or work in game. So drop it directly into p:\