Sign in to follow this  
Peter5on

Prone rolling speed to fast (unrealistic)

When on prone rolling with Q and E is to fast! :D I lay down myself without weapon and backpack and try to do it as fast as i can. There is no chance of me to do it as quickly as in Arma. Some patches ago there was normal speed but now its UNREALISTIC!!! Its military sim or call of duty?

Good point.

Try IRL to do the same with uniform, plate carrier, pistol holster around your leg, assault rifle in your hands, backpack and an at launcher on your back. It's pretty much impossible to do something like that :D

Agreed, it's ridiculous at present. Hopefully the devs will get around to fixing it while they're overhauling the fatigue/sway/recoil and other infantry stuff.

Yes it's a game, no it's not fine - it's a regression. Just like the weapon sway/fatigue behaviour you started a thread about.

Yes it's a game, no it's not fine - it's a regression. Just like the weapon sway/fatigue behaviour you started a thread about.

I rank things via game breaking to minor tweaks, rolling imo is down at the bottom. Things above rolling are Running up steps/ramps like on green towers, if you watch people run up them, they basically teleport up its that fast.

The devs need to start prioritizing and stop tweaking, hiring someone to sort the engine code out for optimization should be number1. Arma 2 had problems and so does arma 3 thier current staff cannot fix it, they should stop hiring derpy mod DEVS, looking for a quick cash fix, and start hiring a industry vet. If someone could fix their engine he should be their highest paid employee bar non, surely would attract the right candidate.

I guess you have not read the changelogs sillywabbit. There have been a ton of engine fixes and optimizations since release. Not saying it's finished though, but they certainly are working hard. I think they should get some credit for that.

Agreed, it looks silly when soldiers with heavy gear spin around like a cat, we'll see what the new fatigue system does to it, I reckon it was affected back when we had the new system for a while.

The devs need to start prioritizing and stop tweaking, hiring someone to sort the engine code out for optimization should be number1. Arma 2 had problems and so does arma 3 thier current staff cannot fix it, they should stop hiring derpy mod DEVS, looking for a quick cash fix, and start hiring a industry vet. If someone could fix their engine he should be their highest paid employee bar non, surely would attract the right candidate.

You obviously have no idea, do you? I suggest you read, with thought, the DEVELOPMENT BRANCH and SERVERS & ADMINISTRATION sections, especially the threads with devposts.

@Sillywabbit I think you might be confusing "game breaking" with "immersion breaking". There are very few game breaking bugs but there are plenty of immersion breakers. The trouble is that everyone has a different idea of what constitutes a high priority immersion breaker. You'll get limited mileage coming on this forum and dictating to others what they should be concerned about. I don't know if your 25 posts mean you have only been playing for 6 weeks, but let me assure you that Arma3 was essentially unplayable at alpha. The devs have made unbelievable strides in 12+ months bringing the game to the standard it is now. It's by no means perfect, and they are wrestling with and tweaking some of the core mechanics that I would have preferred to have been addressed early in alpha ahead of content releases. Sure, we all get annoyed but to imply that the devs don't know what the @#$% they're on about makes you look naive and ill informed.

I rank things via game breaking to minor tweaks, rolling imo is down at the bottom. Things above rolling are Running up steps/ramps like on green towers, if you watch people run up them, they basically teleport up its that fast.

Perhaps you should rethink what you have wrote here, insulting the devs is not appreciated on the forums.

Also if you feel that the rolling speed in too fast, please log a ticket on the bug tracker.

This doesn't bother me too much. I mean, if you want to talk unrealistic, the sprinting speed in this game is already inhumanly fast. But it is that way because a realistic running speed would feel far too slow. This is just part of the difference between a game and real life. When you make your movement so realistic that it feels frustratingly clunky or slow, you have to stop and ask yourself what the point is. Don't start comparing Arma to Call of Duty just because rolling is a bit fast. At least you can't jump a meter in the air.

^ that is until the update where Fatigue WILL matter. Also, get down and roll as hard and as fast as you can. I can roll probably the same speed as they do in game. Now obviously, not wearing a backpack. There should be some kind a slow down or penalty for rolling with a massive bag on full of stuff.

I think that it would be best to just make it slower. It is unnaturally fast right now, and although it really doesn't have that much of an impact on the game, for immersion sake it should be slower. It looks weird right now.

I mean, if you want to talk unrealistic, the sprinting speed in this game is already inhumanly fast. But it is that way because a realistic running speed would feel far too slow.

I don't believe this is the case. Whe I was testing those things a couple months back the run speeds were actually if anything, a bit slower than reality, to account for the gear you have on. And like Darkside points out, this is changed even more with the new fatigue effects.

I don't believe this is the case. Whe I was testing those things a couple months back the run speeds were actually if anything, a bit slower than reality, to account for the gear you have on. And like Darkside points out, this is changed even more with the new fatigue effects.

You're right, but I remember a developer saying a while ago that they had make the player speed faster than reality because it felt slow otherwise. They must have changed it though, at some point. And probably again with today's dev update. I just tested a 100m dash with rifleman kit and it took about 19 seconds, which is a little over 5m/s. As a civvie, it took 14 seconds, which is about 7m/s.

I agree that rolls should be slower if wearing a backpack, or even better if it was dependent on how full the backpack was.

You're right, but I remember a developer saying a while ago that they had make the player speed faster than reality because it felt slow otherwise. They must have changed it though, at some point. And probably again with today's dev update. I just tested a 100m dash with rifleman kit and it took about 19 seconds, which is a little over 5m/s. As a civvie, it took 14 seconds, which is about 7m/s.

I agree that rolls should be slower if wearing a backpack, or even better if it was dependent on how full the backpack was.

They changed the running speed pretty early on after some pretty huge backlash. To be fair, the sprinting speed before the fix was comically fast. Like, way beyond reasonable.

The problem I see with making the roll speed realistically slow is that it would basically negate the entire point of rolling altogether. And if you're going to do that, why even have rolling in the game at all? On the other hand, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing if roll speed or distance was based on encumberance.

The problem I see with making the roll speed realistically slow is that it would basically negate the entire point of rolling altogether. And if you're going to do that, why even have rolling in the game at all? On the other hand, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing if roll speed or distance was based on encumberance.

I don't think that's true. In real life it isn't that slow. Its just its far far to fast now. I am sure it wasn't intentional to have it at this speed. I don't believe it was this fast in arma 2.