Sign in to follow this  
narcissu

Discussion Arma 3 first-person perspective

I play Arma 3've got some time, I recently discovered Arma 3 first-person perspective is somewhat high.

Do you think that Arma 3 is using fake first person like in other games?

I was under the impression that, in Arma 2 at least, the camera was positioned slightly above the left eye. Is that no longer the case?

Centered between eyes

And while aiming down sights?

QKNQe.jpg

:j:

While aiming down sights:

Me aiming straight at my friend's muzzle:

FVIYPmA.jpg

Muzzle's view on it:

iqZM0VQ.jpg

So the camera is actually in my right ear?

What do you mean high? It's on the same level as your eyes.

I think he always felt some eyes and some high position of the camera is not in the model. But in the forehead

---------- Post added at 04:02 ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 ----------

http://i.imgur.com/FVIYPmA.jpg

Muzzle's view on it:

http://i.imgur.com/iqZM0VQ.jpg

Did not notice me, I just found no higher perspective when aiming.

http://i.imgur.com/FVIYPmA.jpg

Muzzle's view on it:

http://i.imgur.com/iqZM0VQ.jpg

The camera uses a separate memory point defined in the weapon or the attached optics when looking down the sights of a weapon like you are doing in the first pic.

The normal first person camera point is as PuFu said, along the unit's central axis between the eyes when the unit is standing completely upright and square-on (e.g. the unarmed, standing pose). However, IIRC its relative position to features on the outer head mesh (left eye, right eye etc) shifts around a little bit depending on the particular stance/animation that the unit is in.

VBS has the head of a soldier move to the weapon when aiming down sights. It'd be really cool if aiming down sights would actually involve the weapon moving to the POV, rather than the other way around. Don't move your head to your weapon, move your weapon to your head, etc.

However, that's probably involving animation work galore, and I'd rather have BI focus on other things. For example, getting rid of the bloody hitpoints system for tanks and disabling all vehicles blowing up all the time.

VBS has the head of a soldier move to the weapon when aiming down sights. It'd be really cool if aiming down sights would actually involve the weapon moving to the POV, rather than the other way around. Don't move your head to your weapon, move your weapon to your head, etc.

However, that's probably involving animation work galore, and I'd rather have BI focus on other things. For example, getting rid of the bloody hitpoints system for tanks and disabling all vehicles blowing up all the time.

That'd be really nice indeed. Now that they've refactored the animations, this would be a welcome addition.

I play Arma 3've got some time, I recently discovered Arma 3 first-person perspective is somewhat high.

Is it because all FPS games have the player's camera located in the chest?

Isn't this unrealistic? There is no 'hipfire' in Battlefield or Arma. You always have your weapon ready at your shoulder. When you aim you simply look through your right eye to the weapon that is already there. So it is perfect in Arma and unrealistic in other shooter games (BF and CoD where you move the weapon to the eye).

In Arma you have the weapon on shoulder all the time*, head "up" when not aiming and the same thing when aiming, the only thing that moves is the camera (or point or view) as the weapon doesn't comes up nor the head goes down. See first page. Arma is "unrealistic".

* = imagine a world where you could tell the soldier "skill" by the way they move and hold their weapon; Civilians in hipfiring, guerrilas with a rudimentary hold, proper soldiers as we have now and SF... well been a while since I watched "tacticool" videos, thumb over barrel maybe? :p

Operation Flashpoiint and Armed Assault had this feature where you moved your eyes down to the sight like in VBS...I don't know why this was removed.

But hey BIS did also remove balistic drop for AT grenades and aerial rockets and holstering of pistols after OFP. It was rumoured the dorpping of such features is called "streamlining gameplay" nowadays to accomodate for mainstrem players. You can see this "streamlining" all the way down from OFP>ArmA>ArmA2>ArmA3.

Edited by Beagle

Are you sure about that? I would call this or that "aiming down sights", just a very strange posture...

e93db4d293200c98d1f3d34cd6de044ad2592043.png0.jpg

Look at Armed Assault, there is was even more noticable. But even in OFP you could tell if someone was just holding a gun or aiming it by a different posture. We do not need to discuss that the general graphics and animation grade was rather poor back then (even poor compared with titles from the same timeframe like "Tom Clancys's Ghost Recon" from 2001)