zooloo75

Firefight Improvement System 2

Will this be multiplayer compatible and if so, will there be a way to move the data another ArmA installation. I ask because I do a lot of testing on my PC, but I have a dedicated server that I would want to prepare so it wouldn't need to learn.

Also, is there a limitation to how much the AI can learn? I really like what you are doing here, but I'm not an expert on AI, so I'm concerned. For example, If I play an ambush mission many times with similar tactics, is the AI going to eventually exploit potential weaknesses in my offensive?

Will this be multiplayer compatible and if so, will there be a way to move the data another ArmA installation. I ask because I do a lot of testing on my PC, but I have a dedicated server that I would want to prepare so it wouldn't need to learn.

Also, is there a limitation to how much the AI can learn? I really like what you are doing here, but I'm not an expert on AI, so I'm concerned. For example, If I play an ambush mission many times with similar tactics, is the AI going to eventually exploit potential weaknesses in my offensive?

I am keeping multiplayer compatibility in mind in FFIS2, in fact I am primarily making it for servers, as well as singleplayer. The data is easy to transfer as they are just text files in the FFIS2 directory. There is no limit to how much the AI can learn (Yet. I doubt there will be though), and yes if you replay the same scenario over and over again, the AI's tactics will evolve and as you said, exploit potential weaknesses in your offensive. Don't forget, this applies to your team too, so expect your troops to learn from their own weaknesses.

As you said, you are going to keep mp in mind for compatibility, if I am to host a lan/internet game from the actual arma 3 game itself (serverbrowser "start new game" option), would this mod still allow the AI to learn (ie:will it save data files to a proper directory somehow, even if I am not running a dedicated server or somthing)

Also, would it be possible to have like "Ai configurations" we could share? Like downloads for files of the ai learned info?

Also, is it currently/do you plan/would you consider making some possibility for not only side but faction specific AI learning? This would also probably tie in with my previous idea, lets say some guy achieved some certain result and you say "oh I want my CSAT troops only to do that". etc etc

Sounds like it would be cool, I don't know how that would work out though.

Used you old addon in arma 2, it was great improving AI engagement ranges.

I am curious if this is compatible with somthing like ASR AI 3 (Which I currently use) or if I used this, I don't need that and should probably just ditch it for this?

As you said, you are going to keep mp in mind for compatibility, if I am to host a lan/internet game from the actual arma 3 game itself (serverbrowser "start new game" option), would this mod still allow the AI to learn (ie:will it save data files to a proper directory somehow, even if I am not running a dedicated server or somthing)

Also, would it be possible to have like "Ai configurations" we could share? Like downloads for files of the ai learned info?

Also, is it currently/do you plan/would you consider making some possibility for not only side but faction specific AI learning? This would also probably tie in with my previous idea, lets say some guy achieved some certain result and you say "oh I want my CSAT troops only to do that". etc etc

Sounds like it would be cool, I don't know how that would work out though.

Used you old addon in arma 2, it was great improving AI engagement ranges.

I am curious if this is compatible with somthing like ASR AI 3 (Which I currently use) or if I used this, I don't need that and should probably just ditch it for this?

Yes, hosting it will work when hosting within the game as it follows roughly the same concept as playing singleplayer. All data will be saved from the host.

The data is saved to files within the FFIS mod directory, and the file structure is straightforward. Merging multiple data files is easy (simply copy and paste new data to the beginning or the end of the file).

The recorded data contains the side of the affected unit, so differentiation of sides is possible.

Compatibility with other mods is also another thing I'm keeping in mind during development, allowing users to choose which features they want enabled from my mod. Expect conflicts in AI behavior when mixing AI mods together though. I am coding a complete overhaul of the AI though. I plan on allowing AI to lean and use the different stances as players can do (that may be singleplayer only though).

Update: Gaining momentum! Data pagination is almost complete! (This also hasn't been done before for any DLL extension for ArmA. I may have to add my method to the wiki). This works around the data size limitation of callExtension.

Data pagination is complete and working! Now to fix an SQF-side parsing error.

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

Error fixed! Calling it a night! Big progress to be made during the weekend! :D

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to using your script/addon.

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to using your script/addon.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Still no word from BIS on the legality of using ArmA2NET by Scott_NZ which is the framework allowing me to use C# to code my DLL for this mod. ArmA2NET has no PBO file, it is just a pack of DLLs which adds no content ingame, so technically they aren't "mods" like CBA. The technicality is worrying me and BIS hasn't attempted to answer my question. I've sent Scott_NZ a private message regarding permission to distribute ArmA2NET within the FFIS2 files which should waive any possible issues in the contest. If I don't receive permission from Scott or get a thumbs down from BIS, I'll have to rewrite the DLL in C++ (as I said before, I don't mind writing it in C++, but if I don't have to, then I won't; I prefer C# over C++).

Edited by zooloo75

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Still no word from BIS on the legality of using ArmA2NET by Scott_NZ which is the framework allowing me to use C# to code my DLL for this mod. ArmA2NET has no PBO file, it is just a pack of DLLs which adds no content ingame, so technically they aren't "mods" like CBA. The technicality is worrying me and BIS hasn't attempted to answer my question. I've sent Scott_NZ a private message regarding permission to distribute ArmA2NET within the FFIS2 files which should waive any possible issues in the contest. If I don't receive permission from Scott or get a thumbs down from BIS, I'll have to rewrite the DLL in C++ (as I said before, I don't mind writing it in C++, but if I don't have to, then I won't; I prefer C# over C++).

Seems like a situation where you hope for the best and prepare for the worst, so maybe you can do some preliminary things to start coding in C++? I don't know how to code, but it's a suggestion from experience of facing ridiculous technical tasks.

Seems like a situation where you hope for the best and prepare for the worst, so maybe you can do some preliminary things to start coding in C++? I don't know how to code, but it's a suggestion from experience of facing ridiculous technical tasks.

Oh I know how to code in C++, it's just that I prefer to use C#.

In concept, how do the AI units learn? Does the script analyze where they were engaged and compare to where they died? How does this work, in terms of the AI's amnesia from changing Previews in the editor?

Also, what limitations will the physical data files have in the directory? If the AI can learn without limitation, will these files (or file) eventually be gigabytes in size? I ask because I'll probably run this thing off a persistent map with missions using Rydygier's HAL.

Well since Sunday, playing the same scenario in the same location over and over again throughout the days, the total data size is 26.4KB.

It is possible for the data to become gigabytes large, just as much as it is possible to become domegemegrottebytes large.

I believe I've discussed how this works in previous posts. If not, I'll describe it all in-depth later once I shape it to how I want it to be.

I've received permission from Scott_NZ to distribute ArmA2NET along with the FFIS2 files. Development is moving at a great pace! If you want, leave him a thanks on his visitor page for his generosity and for making this development a lot easier! (http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?78370-Scott_NZ)

New addition: Sandbags! Troops that are in combat and don't have cover nearby will quickly lay down a few sandbags on the ground so they can get a bit more cover when prone. Each unit gets 2 sandbag fortifications (subject to change).

Edited by zooloo75

New addition: Sandbags! Troops that are in combat and don't have cover nearby will quickly lay down a few sandbags on the ground so they can get a bit more cover when prone. Each unit gets 2 sandbag fortifications (subject to change).

It's a nice idea but I hope they are actual inventory items as it would be a bit strange if ever swingin Harry had access to that material on hand at all times. Also there used to be an addon that allowed snipers to use netting which rendered them far less visible -maybe something like that could be added for that class?

I'm assuming the AI will pop smoke, which seems to be a norm, but flares would be really nice for night missions. I like how flares wash out IR, which can make spotting units at night very difficult. I haven't found an AI mod that does uses flares, maybe because they need to be added the units inventory?

Keep up the great work Zooloo, always eager to see what you're going to do next.

I'm assuming the AI will pop smoke, which seems to be a norm, but flares would be really nice for night missions. I like how flares wash out IR, which can make spotting units at night very difficult. I haven't found an AI mod that does uses flares, maybe because they need to be added the units inventory?

This is planned :)

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Keep up the great work Zooloo, always eager to see what you're going to do next.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

It's a nice idea but I hope they are actual inventory items as it would be a bit strange if ever swingin Harry had access to that material on hand at all times. Also there used to be an addon that allowed snipers to use netting which rendered them far less visible -maybe something like that could be added for that class?

I am still deciding on its immersion aspect.

Yay you are back. And *sigh*: it will all require a lot of scripting and as long as my ArmA only likes one CPU core... a problem.

Any idea if this AI system will be taxing on server side resources?

Edited by Diesel5187

Any idea if this AI system will be taxing on server side resources?

I am trying to keep my code as optimized as possible. A system like this would be demanding in nature, but I'm doing my best. The system will take a few seconds to load all the data in, but after that, it's all real-time from there.

I am trying to keep my code as optimized as possible. A system like this would be demanding in nature, but I'm doing my best. The system will take a few seconds to load all the data in, but after that, it's all real-time from there.

Was it a problem in the past with ArmA 2? The only AI mod I've seen bring systems to a crawl is HAL, and that's more of a waypoint manager than an AI mod.

I am sure you are doing your best and hope to see the fruits of your labor very soon.

Wow this sounds very impressive...can't wait to see it in action. Have you considered caching methods for your script or the possibility of it working with other caching scripts (Naught, Zorro, DAC, ALiVE)? Please excuse me if this is a dumb question :p

If done right (and I'm bloody sure it will be) this could lead to very, very interesting scenarios. I will download this in an heartbeat once it comes out.

On an unrelated note: do you still plan to continue your work on Hostage Rescue in the far future? Just asking, it looked very promising.