zooloo75

Firefight Improvement System 2

If done right (and I'm bloody sure it will be) this could lead to very, very interesting scenarios. I will download this in an heartbeat once it comes out.

On an unrelated note: do you still plan to continue your work on Hostage Rescue in the far future? Just asking, it looked very promising.

Maybe if I re-gain interest.

Zooloo, it's really great to see you back. I've been using FFIS for a long time and I'm glad to see you picking up the torch again. Your AI mod was the only one I was really happy with. Question, would there be a way to add like a "garrison" Waypoint in your mod, which will make AI take positions in buildings?

Zooloo, it's really great to see you back. I've been using FFIS for a long time and I'm glad to see you picking up the torch again. Your AI mod was the only one I was really happy with. Question, would there be a way to add like a "garrison" Waypoint in your mod, which will make AI take positions in buildings?

I'm not sure that it's possible to add new waypoints in the editor, but I'm sure you'll be happy to know that AI do utilize buildings in my mod.

News: I have a new goal for the mod by accomplishing tactics from this list -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_tactics

It has brought upon lots of inspiration, and should provide a realistic combat experience.

---------- Post added at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Also doing a big re-code of the mod. Scrapped most of the AI behavior code in favor of going for a realistic approach using actual military tactics. Also improved the organization of the code.

Hey bro very good to see that you are going to use real military tactics it's really surprising that you are going to make so much effort .

Ps : In MANW you already have my vote :).

Progress: Confirming that the Basic Drill tactic makes AI very effective in CQB. Be prepared to take cover when engaging against the enemy! The AI react very quickly and deadly.

Addition: Basic Drill, AI Grenade Throwing (If the nearby enemy is behind cover, the AI will throw a grenade at their position).

Really like where this is going! :)

..Also there used to be an addon that allowed snipers to use netting which rendered them far less visible -maybe something like that could be added for that class?

Speaking of Snipers, it'd be nice if their behaviour was altered too. They should engage more from much longer distances, and seek the high ground more often.

Really like where this is going! :)

Speaking of Snipers, it'd be nice if their behaviour was altered too. They should engage more from much longer distances, and seek the high ground more often.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Really liking the progress reports and direction of the mod. Sounds like a big scope increase.

One problem that has plagued AI mods encouraging AI suppression is that AI tends to run out of ammo without a good way of rearming. Giving AI unlimited clips is one option but breaks realism a bit. Is some form of rearming in your scope for FFIS2?

One problem that has plagued AI mods encouraging AI suppression is that AI tends to run out of ammo without a good way of rearming. Giving AI unlimited clips is one option but breaks realism a bit. Is some form of rearming in your scope for FFIS2?

Or a way for them to manage ammunition during an engagement.

I generally don't like breaks from reality but I think this is one that outweighs the negatives. It's a reasonable stretch that a soldier could have large or even massive amounts of magazines and the fact that they'll never be able to conserve or scavenge properly makes it a reasonable break from reality.

Froggy, I think obviously it is good to weigh all solutions.

I do think that giving AI infinite ammo might break some scenarios though.

Another solution is to let them pick up ammo from the ground, dead bodies (especially their friends) as a big priority, like they sprint right for ammo every time or somthing.

Or, some system could spawn some AI "caches", whether physical or virtual, where they retreat to, then get rearmed and come back.

It is kind of a odd situation to handle, but then again last time I saw an Ai run out of ammo, he actually retreated, then shot me with his pistol later on when I didn't expect it.

That was on vanilla against a CSAT troop.

@itsthomas

Last time I fought an AI sniper, I was on the ATC tower in stratis airport. I had a m110 from some mod, there were about 12 AAF troops in some base, about 600 meters away, 2 of them were snipers.

I shot at them a bit, killed 2 or 3 rifleman.

One of the snipers started zeroing one me, first a few shots hit the side of the tower, next they were hitting 2 feet away. Suddenly I looked down my scope, and this sniper guy was popping up (intentionally or not) from behind a H-barrier, shooting then ducking again, doing a cycle. Wasn't scripted, I had just been dicking around placing units in Zeus.

I was probably using asr_ai, I don't think this had a big effect, even if it did, i assume this mod could achieve the same result, maybe that was just a odd coincidence.

@zooloo

Would it be possible to have different basic drill type things for each side? or be able to insert some script line or somthing, that makes it so you can change what type of procedures a side/faction follows? It would be cool to have somthing like that because it could really seperate how different sides operate. Like how soviet infantry doctrine is more about negev rush while nato is like the basic drill type stuff.

Maybe your current solution works fine for all sides, but having yet to see it I can only guess.

Edited by MikeTim

I generally don't like breaks from reality but I think this is one that outweighs the negatives. It's a reasonable stretch that a soldier could have large or even massive amounts of magazines and the fact that they'll never be able to conserve or scavenge properly makes it a reasonable break from reality.

if the only options were (a.) AI running out of ammo..firefight over OR (b.) AI having unlimited ammo I would choose b every single time. The point is to have enemy and friendly AI capable of providing engaging game play. It

will be a bonus to have AI switch from auto to burst to single fire mode, actually use Ammo bearer, vehicles, dead AI etc to rearm.

I imagine most Arma players want AI soldier from different classes to behave like their real world counterparts. ...whatever that means.

@sttosin

Remember though, especially with fighting guerillas, like FIA, Taliban, Syrian terrorists, whatever...

A big part of guerilla tactics is, shooting then retreat or those types of things, alot of it is dependent on ammo.

Also, if you are playing some hardcore mission, how do they handle looting AI bodies if they have infinite ammo? I am pretty sure there is no way to give them infiite ammo besides giving them like 9999 magazines or adding a new one every time they run out.

Even if that isnt true, it could almost be unbalanced if the AI has infinte ammo. If you are playing one of those missions where you are some US millitary team, with full apache support, air strikes, drones and a whole tank squad, yeah sure, infitnite ammo AI isnt a problem. But in a mission maybe, where you are the guerillas, or you are a underequipped force, it could make it so you run out before the AI do, every single time without fail.

Regarding infinite ammo: FFIS1 had infinite ammo for units only when they were in the suppression state.

Regarding snipers: If I recall correctly, snipers tend to shoot then move. I will mimic this behavior.

One of the big things about last night's code organization is that it allows me to assign tactics to their own function so other scripters in the community can easily modify the existing tactics or create new ones. This also allows side dependent tactics to be possible. I'll consider AI looting as an addition to the system.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Edited by zooloo75

One of the big things about last night's code organization is that it allows me to assign tactics to their own function so other scripters in the community can easily modify the existing tactics or create new ones.

Thanks for incorporporating rearming. The tactics and the AI learning (neural network) is what I am most excited for in this mod. Please include some debug mode so we can see which tactic a squad is using at any given time.

Thanks for incorporporating rearming. The tactics and the AI learning (neural network) is what I am most excited for in this mod. Please include some debug mode so we can see which tactic a squad is using at any given time.

Will do :)

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

One of the big things about last night's code organization is that it allows me to assign tactics to their own function so other scripters in the community can easily modify the existing tactics or create new ones.
A zooloo tactics framework :) Very good plans about your military tactics implementation, I hope a lot is doable and playable on <(year 2035) PCs.

Hey mate the way your mod is going on AI will massacre me i don't want to be massacret every single level and in 1000 different ways,Jokes apart one good thing to see would be see if AI is doing a patrol then they find a dead body they start to setup perimeter as in real life if we have this we the skills of player are going to one very high level if you kill the player on the main road no one will travel there for 1 week for example .