Sign in to follow this  
FredAirland

Arma 3 Helicopters DLC Discussion (dev branch)

"The Arma 3 Helicopters DLC will be available on November 4th for 12.99 EUR/10.99 GBP/15.99 USD"

Seriously ? You kidding me BIS ?

yeah, it is very sad, I'm over with Arma 3 because it's failed to deliver truly immersive battlefield (as A2 did). It is over for my friends as well. To get it right I've installed tones of mods but so many issues and DLC model makes me feel very sad...and force me to make decision. GAME OVER.

if they gave us a real existing chinook you probably would not get past the posts complaining about another copy paste asset.

They could have given us some real choppers that haven't been use at all since OFP - such as MH-53

The only thing I want addressed is whether or not you'll be able to disembark from the Huron from the interior so you can walk out from inside and vice versa instead of just disembarking and spawning along the outside of the hull. I like the "futuristic" feel of the new helos. Even if it's due to BI wanting to dodge licensing. Smart move either way.
I'm trying to think of just how this would work within the current limitations on Arma 3 movement/vehicles (namely, fixed seating). You could have a lowerable ramp so that people could walk in, but then to actually. Wouldn't this require the get-in memory points to be inside the helo or something? I ask this because under the current system you'd basically have to script the helo to prevent the "get out" actions unless the ramp was lowered (which presumably would be a helo-specific userAction) since the engine presumably doesn't support PhysX friction between helicopter interiors and people*, leaving us stuck with the pre-existing "config/model-assigned seating" arrangement.
I wouldn't expect dismounting inside. It would cause too many bug reports for BI. I'd be surprised if it even has a roadway lod and an user openable cargo ramp. It'll probably have the same treatment as the Mohawk.
VBS3's US Army Chinook interiors (plus the USMC CH-46E/variants thereof and the USMC KC-130J) use "sit down"/"get up" action menu commands for specific seats, so it doesn't sound like they're really better than Arma 3 in this regard. (They do have an indicator line pointing from the command to the specific seat, but that's in VBS overall and not this specific feature.) Oh, and both screenshots thereof in the user manual are of a landed Chinook... what a surprise.

* It has been repeatedly verified through user testing that there isn't PhysX friction between non-helicopters and moving ship decks, so I wouldn't be surprised if this limitation extended to helo interiors and people.

"The Arma 3 Helicopters DLC will be available on November 4th for 12.99 EUR/10.99 GBP/15.99 USD"

What? Is it the price?

You'd better buy the DLC bundle.

And the DLC is available the same day as CoD : AW :)

The only thing I am disappointed about is the release date. I can't wait 1+ months :( :( :(

On the other hand, if they put it on dev branch 3 weeks earlier....

Yeah I know. I completely bank breaking price.

Come on, people. The same sort of DLC path was taken back in A2. It's nothing new. Beating the dead horse won't bring it back to life. Assuming it was alive in the first place and not just a failed cloning experiment.

@PawelKPL A little off topic but if you look here you will see this quote by DnA. Hopefully BI will add the option to use our older ArmA games with A3 just like how ToH did it, as that worked well.

There are other, and accepted, ways of merging Arma 1 / 2 content into Arma 3. This is handled by releasing new add-ons that merge the content people already own via configuration files. We are working on an officially supported approach for later (similar to TKOH's Rearmed).

with FFV offroad you can chose where to sit in the back , maybe they can do the same with the new choppers ?

@PawelKPL A little off topic but if you look here you will see this quote by DnA. Hopefully BI will add the option to use our older ArmA games with A3 just like how ToH did it, as that worked well.

They won't. They decided to release the content for the community to implement via mods.

with FFV offroad you can chose where to sit in the back , maybe they can do the same with the new choppers ?
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to quite work with the helos that have "split" (some FFV-compatible, some not) seating -- with the non-FFV-compatible seats you can "ride in back" but still have the existing limitation of not being able to necessary choose the specific non-FFV-compatible seat.

vvv deltagamer, I think they forgot that that thread exists. vvv

They won't. They decided to release the content for the community to implement via mods.

Did BI officially announce that? If they did then they should remove that announcement on the thread.

I hope all the instruments are functional in the cockpit. I think it's worth it if the helicopters are complete and by that i mean: interior, exterior, animations, sound, cockpit, HUD, pip and action popup areas.

Re: some of the posts here - please remember that this thread is specifically about the heli DLC as related to what's currently available on the dev branch.

Pricing and other issues with the announced content should be discussed in the dev blog/reveals thread, or the DLC speculation thread etc. :)

In fact, since the three major DLC related features on the dev branch all have their own threads, this one is redundant and can probably be closed. General DLC discussion outside of dev branch feedback can take place the threads linked above.