Sign in to follow this  
tremanarch

Elite: Dangerous

found no exisitng thread so making a new one.

Yeah.

Elite: Dangerous by D. Braben!

features:

+ 1:1 milky way Galaxy simulation in the game! http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=ffe2385d13

video of the beta version of the map:

and its a real tough dogfighting game - not 100 % realistic in terms of physically correct behaviour, but thats on purpose to give the combat model some fun aspects and mastering ways of flight..

some combat of the beta version:

and docking:

the game is overshadowed by Star Citizen - but it will be a blast with that 1:1 Galaxy Simulation...

Lol @ 'overshadowed by SC'

SC will singlehandedly destroy crowd funding for video games when it fails miserably (which it will).

Firstly, it will never live up to it's own hype and secondly it continually misses deadlines which is starting to annoy even die hard apologists.

@ Topic:

ED is already a great game with a solid lineage. If you are into this type of game, you should definitely check it out.

I would not characterize ED as a 'dogfighting game' - while there is elaborate combat, you can equally avoid that aspect if you want to explore and trade and/or mine.

Edited by BangTail

Will ED have any SP component?

Yes, there will be both online and offline single player, online shares the same persistent universe as multiplayer, but you only see NPCs

Current beta is multiplayer only though, except for the 9 combat missions

I backed this at alpha, I bought shares in the developers and made enough money on them to pay the £200 and buy a trackIR (which also comes in handy for arma)

The game is so much better with head tracking, it seems made for it. Many people on this forum will already have it of course.

Will probably upgrade to a rift when the consumer version arrives

Edited by motorizer

I backed this at alpha, I bought shares in the developers and made enough money on them to pay the £200 and buy a trackIR (which also comes in handy for arma)

The game is so much better with head tracking, it seems made for it. Many people on this forum will already have it of course.

I use TrackIR aswell and it makes things so much easier! I can recommend it!

The Anaconda is epic:

Edited by BangTail

I think I'm going space nuts. :butbut::bounce3:

Will be picking this game up tomorrow (Premium Beta), Elite Dangerous, probably because Star Citizen has got me hooked. I know that in ED you can't walk around your ship and its a different approach to SC. But like I say, SC has really got me so hooked on the idea of space sim style gaming, that I started looking more into ED.

Well I have to hold my hands up and say, there may indeed be two space games that simply have to be owned, SC & ED. I have watched hours of this 'ED' over the last week, and trading seems o.k. I was, at first, sceptical about the trading side in ED, but after sifting through hours of YT vids and reading up on the play style of ED, its convinced me that the trading side of the game could be a viable option to ED.

I don't think they have player organisations/groups in ED, as SC has already got, even though its not out for another 18months or so. So perhaps ED is not as involved as SC in that side. But still, as said, I'm going a little space nuts, so no harm can come of it, only a dent in the wallet, which SC has already done ;)

So, there I go again, not sure what's happening to me, not been playing space games since, well 20yrs maybe, think I'm having some sort of mid life space crisis..:D

Space is the new final frontier. If people in the late 15th century could've made video games, they probably would have been Call of Constantinople and games about exploring the Atlantic and colonising the Americas. Nice to see the genre made a comeback, I still play FreeSpace 2 every now and then.

yes but it needs more systems and stuff to do ...

Needs lots more to do in ED at the moment, but they're pushing along with it.

I'm playing Space Engineers too, this is another really good fun game, very much a good solid sandbox, well worth £14.99.. ;)

I had the opportunity to play this last night, my friend has a beta access wheras I only pre-purchased :)

I was very happy with it, it seemed to be pretty slick, although I didn't see any combat I did make a point of heading toward the nearest planet that had an asteroid ring and I spent some time moving about inside it & blasting some asteroids.

The main environment itself looked pretty much the same as the Space Engine demo (note: Space Engine NOT Space Engineers), which is a very good thing. The TrackIR & HOTAS combo worked pretty well, and I was able to find out how to do most things I needed to even without reading any manual (the pre-flight checklist you need to do before your first flight is a very good idea). Some of the cockpit symbology was immediately familiar, and control of the ship seemed intuitive.

So I'm really looking forward to its release later this month :) been a while since I got lost in a game.

Yeah, its a shame he seems to have stopped working on Space Engine, it was a really good project.. Better than ED tech at the moment. Limit Theory is along the same lines as Space Engine, well he has the same ambitions, perhaps.

Yeah, its a shame he seems to have stopped working on Space Engine, it was a really good project.. Better than ED tech at the moment. Limit Theory is along the same lines as Space Engine, well he has the same ambitions, perhaps.

erm, Space Engine != Space Engineers

Space Engine is still under development

Space Engineers (KSH) = game, early access on Steam

Space Engine = playable tech (free) you can donate to help, I believe.

Last I heard, although not checked for a while, I was told he had halted work, not sure. I certainly hope he is still moving ahead, its a great project. Last time I tried to update space engine, I got nowhere, then again I haven't tried for a while now.

Good to hear he might still be at it concerning Space Engine, will have to check it out again.

considering he is constantly pushing dev forum updates I doubt he halted work, in fact I never heard anything like that ...

spoken to him yesterday so he is pretty much alive too ;)

considering he is constantly pushing dev forum updates I doubt he halted work, in fact I never heard anything like that ...

spoken to him yesterday so he is pretty much alive too ;)

Excellent news..

Is he then working on this space project for BI (mod), or is that a different space engine type thing.. I certainly see the similarities.

Great that he gets updates out, but considering I have the latest, I believe, dates from around 5 months ago 0.971, he hasn’t got much out in the past 5-6 months. There again if he has been busy on this other project, perhaps that’s why. That’s of course, if it is the same person.. ;) Prize money would come in handy for his project, good thing to team up with BI if its the case.

Anyway good to hear he is still working on the project. I look forward to another update in the future sometime.

Its ambitious and certainly puts many other games to shame, hope he gets it released, although it was greenlit on steam a while ago, but I haven't seen it up on there.

Space Engineers on the other hand is a different game. Which I do occasionally refer to as SE, that could be a little misleading to those that follow Space Engine. But it is Space Engineers I am referring to.

I have both and each have their merits, so as not to down play KSH in-house engine, which isn't bad either.

no, Space Engine and it's author is not related to that Cosmos mod in any way ...

that's what he told me

I'm slightly disappointed about this, I wasn't going to play online but I am concerned about what happens if the servers go down.

And it's a pretty poor state of affairs for those who did back on the strength of offline mode.

However I'm not going to be convinced that star citizen/no mans sky etc... will be any different until I see it, since those games also promise a persistent evolving universe

Just have to make sure they support the game now, not just for a year or so but a few years. They don't have a track record for mp, I don't think, so this is the time to get a statement out regards the longevity of the servers etc. FD are a public co, no financial benefit, no support.. :(

Just how long will that take to be of a concern to them, or more-so the players..

Just have to make sure they support the game now, not just for a year or so but a few years. They don't have a track record for mp, I don't think, so this is the time to get a statement out regards the longevity of the servers etc. FD are a public co, no financial benefit, no support.. :(

Just how long will that take to be of a concern to them, or more-so the players..

It also raises questions about the future business model. Right now you can already give them cash for new skins and spaceships and this will be possible after release too. We are talking about a full price game here. Of course they can only keep the servers running as long as they get enough income. How are the going to generate that income? Microtransactions? Will this thing turn pay-to-win eventually (wich is absolutelly inevitable if you can buy ships and gear for cash). It´s a shame, I was looking forward to a space game with a solid offline mode (since the latest X game was such a dissapointment) seems like this one won´t be it.....

I didn't backed them but I was planning to buy it when they were ready to release it just to support the space genre.Sadly this means no buy from me,it's quite obvious they won't be able to keep the servers forever(they aren't CCP) so if I want to fire up a game in 5 years there's a chance I won't be able to play.

Unless they planned a mmo like EVE these devs(and others like them) should get the hint that people still want an offline SP in case the MP kicks the bucket.

I didn't backed them but I was planning to buy it when they were ready to release it just to support the space genre.Sadly this means no buy from me,it's quite obvious they won't be able to keep the servers forever(they aren't CCP) so if I want to fire up a game in 5 years there's a chance I won't be able to play.

Unless they planned a mmo like EVE these devs(and others like them) should get the hint that people still want an offline SP in case the MP kicks the bucket.

Why not have a try of Evochron Mercenary (if you haven't already), I say this to a lot of people who like the Elite game format. It has everything in there and more. Just not quite the same graphics, but the game-play is pretty good, on the whole:).